Gyro - general thread

The place to discuss rides, accessories, or whatever is tangentially Spree/Elite-related

Moderator: Moderator

vintagegarage
Elite
Elite

Re: Gyro - general thread

Post by vintagegarage »

mm.. that is one sweet ride and better than any of my 1984 Gyros by a long shot. Your rear bumper is better than the two I have. You might think about gluing on your carb cover, with a tiny dab of Walthers Goo. I had one on my red one and it fit nice and tight, but I lost it somewhere on a ride, I think when I went over a chuckhole at WOT. My blue one didn't have the carb cover on it when I got it. I fabricated replacement carb covers out of sheet styrene, and painted them to match.. Blue is Ford Engine Blue, red is Krylon Fusion for Plastic Pepper Red. I don't have proof, but I think the carb cover should be in place for cooling air flow.
harleyracer59
Elite
Elite

Post by harleyracer59 »

d*** Mike. shes a beaut. it has the petcock knob/lever. do you have the little flat cover that bolts above muffler? only other possibility as to the high muffler temps could it be carbon filled?
if blocked with carbon it would retain the heat and holding the exhaust in would do the same? mine had 300 miles when I got it and one of the first things I did was throw the muffler in a fire pit. I have a heat probe, ill take mine for a run and check what temps I get. ill get the metal heat shield temp and try to get a muffler temp too. that's a little harder with heat shield and body cover in the way.. real clean scoot mike.
try a set of your gyro s hubs and wheels on it. I think it rides better and looks better with the 6' rims on back
motormike

Post by motormike »

harleyracer59 wrote: Fri Aug 16, 2019 12:15 am do you have the little flat cover that bolts above muffler?
only other possibility as to the high muffler temps could it be carbon filled?
Yes...all components are present and properly in place.
The possibility of carbon filled muffler is something I considered.
Seems likely since the 86 year-old lady who owned this Gyro only rode it in the campground
for the entire 1,000 miles she had it. I'm sure it was never reaching temps like it has with me
ripping on it WOT for 7 miles. I'm sad that it happened and ruined such nice plastics, but also glad it didn't
catch fire and burn down in front of my eyes.
RideRed
<Gyro S><MB5><Honda Navi><Helix><Sym Wolf><Yamaha Razz><Honda CH150 Deluxe>
"Live Large - Ride Small"
vintagegarage
Elite
Elite

Post by vintagegarage »

I don't know the answer to this. All of the 1984 engine covers I have seen have been melted, but when I drive mine for long WOT rides, my engine covers don't get hot, and the plastic fins don't start to melt. My best red engine cover was melted because the PO didn't have the top metal cover over the muffler installed, nor the rubber 6 hole duct on top. Once I got all the duct parts and the muffler protector in place, it now runs fairly cool. My second red Gyro, was running with none of the ducting in place and the engine cover was completely melted... see the photo of it back on page 55 of this thread. My blue Gyro came with slightly melted fins, and was missing the rubber 6 hole top duct. I installed the duct and so far, it hasn't gotten hot enough to melt plastic during several long distance WOT runs. The nature of the Gyro seems to be that I mostly drive it WOT everywhere I go.
harleyracer59
Elite
Elite

Post by harleyracer59 »

vintagegarage wrote: Fri Aug 16, 2019 4:49 pm . The nature of the Gyro seems to be that I mostly drive it WOT everywhere I go.

I think this is every gyro and spree owners thoughts. lol next to my stock express, theyre the slowest things I got! :smile:
but the gyros are also 2 of my funnest scoots to ride.

I think its gotta be a carbon build up issue. the mufflers I got for my 2 tg50s were from a company that ran fairground events. ive neved seen such bad carbon build up. I doubt those scooters never saw wot for any distance close to 1 mile. I had to cook those mufflers and headers 2x. it was that bad.

ive ran my 84 without the top heat shield and top cover on, with spacers for wheel clearance and not melted anything, right now the carb heater duct and the main inlet duct between tire and air cleaner are off and cover doesn't even get soft. bur that muffler has 370 original miles and wasn't really carbon clogged before I cooked it clean.

MM, its sucks that they deformed but if heat did it, a heat gun carefully used could un do it. carefully being the key word.
motormike

Post by motormike »

Got some mud-dobbers nests out of the Gyro headset today.
Took the basket off.
Took the front turn signal bar off.
Removed center cover for some more mud-dobber nest.
Cleaned and waxed said cover.
Inspected and dis-engaged seat lock. The plastic has broken some around
the mounting hole. I zip-tied the latch in open position. Lock still works, but
spins the whole unit, so I am preventing future breakage.
Drained all the gas, filled and test ride.
Adjusted all levers and switch-gear.
After ride, still seeing 400+ degrees on muffler.
RideRed
harleyracer59
Elite
Elite

Post by harleyracer59 »

with some minor modifications a tg lock will fit on the nn. i have that tg lock handle i bought from you on my nn. its just not plug and play. the tg handle mounts inboard while the nn bolt is outboard. if that makes sense
Wheelman-111

Post by Wheelman-111 »

Greetings:

Couple of S models in Austin here.
Wheelman-111
Most of my money is spent on scooterparts. The rest is just wasted.
"ISO": '03 Vespa ET4 Malossi187 74MPH
Flash 9: 2001 Elite SR Contesta 72 ZX Tran, 9:1 Gears, Stock Airbox/Carb/Pipe 58.8 MPH
Punkin: 2010 Vespa/Malossi S78, 61MPH
Swolf
Noob
Noob

Post by Swolf »

Hi all, I'm new to posting, but not to the forum. I've read the 56 pages and was impressed on the technical knowledge shared. It's helped me out of a lot of jams. I have two '86 Gyros that run great, an '85 that is broke more than it runs, and another '86 that's a potential candidate for bringing back to life. I'll post some pictures, but first, can anyone identify what this is? I saw it last weekend in Delaware and it had no markings except for the engine. It's a Flyscooter that looks to be about 150cc.
Thanks!
Attachments
Looks like a solid axle.
Looks like a solid axle.
Flyscooters 2, shrunk for emails.jpg (465.33 KiB) Viewed 10155 times
Swolf
Noob
Noob

Post by Swolf »

Tried posting two photos on one post, but it doesn't look like both went through. Here's the other one.
Attachments
No markings, but lots of stickers.
No markings, but lots of stickers.
Flyscooters 1, shrunk for emails.jpg (514.95 KiB) Viewed 10154 times
harleyracer59
Elite
Elite

Post by harleyracer59 »

haven't seen one of those in socal.. does it pivot on back wheels like a gyro?.
motormike

Post by motormike »

It's an Ice Bear...one of the worst built and un supported scooters I know of.
Attachments
ice bear.jpg
ice bear.jpg (48.99 KiB) Viewed 10148 times
RideRed
vintagegarage
Elite
Elite

Post by vintagegarage »

Yes.. comes in three engine sizes.. 50cc, 150cc and 300cc. Doesn't tilt, and is just a simple trike with a GY6 engine. The engines are OK and you can get parts for the engine, but everything else on them pretty much breaks during the first three years and parts are tough to find. They come in many shapes, and I think are made by Daix. Here is a link that shows the variety of them:

http://www.icebearatv.com/Trike

There are a lot of them in Florida. If you want to discuss these further, we should start a separate topic for them..
Swolf
Noob
Noob

Post by Swolf »

Thanks for the ID. Was just curious since I couldn't find it. Looks kind of interesting, but my Gyros keep me plenty busy as is. No need to pursue further...
On a positive note, I'm happy to say my two running gyros were running very well this weekend. The speedo said 32mph on level ground. There's an unmanned speed camera near my home and when traffic dies down after Labor Day I plan on comparing the two. One would think that the speed cameras are fairly accurate...
harleyracer59
Elite
Elite

Post by harleyracer59 »

guess who got a honda stream???

this guy got a honda stream!!!!! woooh whooo!!!!
had a guy contact me on offer up about a honda gyro he had and wanted to sell. I have one of my gyro S's for sale on offer up. so I said send me some pics of it and id let him know if I was interested.
a week later I finally get a video of his gyro. turns out it was a stream. had been sitting on his back porch for 15 years lost the keys and it was time to get rid of it.
sold it to me for 300 delivered from 28 miles away. that might sound close but to get those 30 miles in LA that 2 hours with mid day traffic. probably would have been a deal breaker if I had to pick up.
tires are flat. needs keys carb cleaned, gas tank drained, new oil and a spark plug. has good compression.
I already have 2 af01 honda lead BBK's. I run that cylinder on my 84 ab07 that's in my blue aero.
the Lead has the same bore /stroke and exhaust flange as the 2 stroke vertical cylinder gyro' engines. I cant wait!!!
this engine is also variated instead of a 2 speed like the US gyro engines. so itle get an extra koso variator off my shelf for now. ill post some updates. hopefully soon.
Attachments
IMG_5652.jpg
IMG_5652.jpg (135.85 KiB) Viewed 8657 times
IMG_5651.jpg
IMG_5651.jpg (146.59 KiB) Viewed 8657 times