Gyro - general thread

The place to discuss rides, accessories, or whatever is tangentially Spree/Elite-related

Moderator: Moderator

catch22!
BMX
BMX

Re: Gyro - general thread

Post by catch22! »

I bought one of those carbs and the one I got was a darn near exact match for the original. It worked fine. But I also got the original rebuilt and stayed with it. Can you clarify the "good oil pump flow" comment. Is this with the engine running and the oil line disconnected? How much oil should come through the input pipe?
vintagegarage
Elite
Elite

Post by vintagegarage »

I spent most of yesterday trying to make the new carb work with the rear facing fuel input fitting, by soldering together brass tubing to make an input fitting that would go into the rear facing hole, and also clear the plastic intake pipe cover. In the end, I was very disappointed with my work. While sleeping last night, it occurred to me that I might have been better off plugging the fuel input barb hole, and machining a new hole from the side that goes into the same chamber. Since the carbs are only $20 with free shipping, there is some room for experimentation. I also decided to get several original EOM carbs when I visit Japan.

It would be great if you would point me to a replacement carb that looks like the original and has the correct side fitting for fuel input. All of the ones I see on eBay have fuel fittings that point to the rear instead of to the side. Also confirm that you were using the plastic input pipe cover while using your replacement carb.

As to my "good oil pump flow" comment, please have a look at my post near the end of this discussion at:
viewtopic.php?f=3&t=12364&start=90

While there is no oil delivery chart in the TG50 workshop manual, the oil delivery chart for the NB50 and NX50 are not all that different to each other and in mind mind, are "close enough" for a guess for delivery for the TG50. I see that the ebay link in that post to the glass cylinder I use to do the oil flow measurement is still valid. The procedure for the test is well described in the NB50 and NX50 workshop manuals available free on line.

I spent much of the second half of the day yesterday, trying to glue on the broken tab on the rear fenders that holds on the engine cover, with no success. The rear fender plastic is just too slippery, and seems unaffected by PVC cement, unlike the plastic on the NN50. I need to make sure the repair on that tab is very strong as I don't want to loose my engine cover, which is currently in very good shape. Next time I work on the TG50, my top priority will be to rework that repair to make a secure tab for the engine cover.

I also wasted an hour trying to free up the front brake cable which is sticking, with no success. I have never had any luck with those cable lubricating kits and yesterday was no different. I will have to source a new front brake cable. The rear brakes work correctly and the rear cables seem good.

About all I accomplished good yesterday was to straighten the turn signal mounts. The rest of my 7 hour day was pretty much wasted on fixes that I will need to re-do. Rather than cut up a perfectly good Spree throttle cable to jury-rig up the missing throttle cable piece on the TG50, I changed my mind and spent $35 with free shipping to buy the correct used OEM cable from eBay. It has already been shipped, so I plan to defer my first test ride until the throttle cable arrives here in a week or so.

All in all, it was a frustrating day.
vintagegarage
Elite
Elite

Post by vintagegarage »

The missing piece of throttle cable that goes between the carb and the junction box on the side of the airbox arrived today, and I installed it and took the Gyro out for it's first test ride. It runs great, shifts smoothly, and now I "get it". I would call the performance electrifying.. It is a real blast to drive, and it temps you to take every corner at WOT without braking... hahaha.. good thing as the front brake cable is still sticking. I rode it again for a full hour, just before dark today.. air temp was 75 degrees here today, and I came home with a big grin on my face..

In the morning, I'll remove the front brake cable and measure it for length and see if I can find a new cable of similar length and ends..

Here is a photo after the first ride... I still need to polish the red, black the black, clean up the wheels, and patch two punctures in the seat cover. I think the tires are original, and seem to match the odometer reading of 1938. A big thanks to motormike for getting me off the dime!

motormike

Post by motormike »

...well done, grasshopper.
Attachments
kung fu.jpg
kung fu.jpg (21.04 KiB) Viewed 7213 times
RideRed
<Gyro S><MB5><Honda Navi><Helix><Sym Wolf><Yamaha Razz><Honda CH150 Deluxe>
"Live Large - Ride Small"
motormike

Post by motormike »

You need a Roy Rogers lunchbox for the rack.
RideRed
motormike

Post by motormike »

...nope...on second thought, Buck Rogers would be better. :naughty:
RideRed
vintagegarage
Elite
Elite

Post by vintagegarage »

Yes.. something to hold the dog biscuits I pass out in the neighborhood, and also to hold my cheeseburgers I pick up for lunch and dinner, every day.

I had trouble sleeping last night, waiting for daylight so I could go on another ride... hahahaha..

I worked a bit first thing this morning on the front brake cable, removing it and soaking it in a mix of gasoline and oil. I also measured it, and based on the specs in wikispreedia, it is very similar to the front brake cable for an NB50 Aero, so while the cable was soaking, I ordered a new NB50 cable from England. I did manage to get my original cable sort of working, so I took off with a full tank of gasoline to find the point where the main fuel feed runs dry and its time to switch to reserve.. it turned out to be about 35 miles and .426 gallons. If the specs are right on the tank capacity on motorscooterguide.net, the tank holds .8 gallons, so the reserve is almost as large as the main. It did seem like a pretty long vertical tube on the fuel petcock. If my math is right, I got 82 miles per gallon for the 35 miles running WOT about 70 percent of the time.

Tonight, I'm going to ride from 5:30 PM until after dark to check out the headlight aim. Air temp here is supposed to be around 68-70 degrees here in early evening, with a low temp of 60 degrees tonight.. I'll think about the Midwest ice storm while I am zipping around..

Tomorrow, I'll work on polishing the red and blacking the black, and if I get time, patching the two punctures in the seatcover.
vintagegarage
Elite
Elite

Post by vintagegarage »

I found a couple of Road Fox photos that show the Honda accessory footrests? At least that what I think they are. I'll see if I can find a couple for motormike and me to try out.

Also notice the "handles" factory welded to the frame on the Road Fox in place of the rear turn signal brackets on the Gyro S.

This one has better view of the handles, and both of these also have the footrests, but more importantly, this one shows how to properly basketize a Road Fox.. hahahaha.. I bet I am the only one who cares about this..

vintagegarage
Elite
Elite

Post by vintagegarage »

Whew! Dodged a bullet here, as this one is too far from home for me.. hahahaha

http://www.ebay.com/itm/1985-Honda-TG50 ... 2423243141
benji
CB900F
CB900F

Post by benji »

Wheelman this one's for you!! I know Texas is big but it can't be that far away.
Wheelman-111

Post by Wheelman-111 »

Greetings:

It's about 3.5 hours away. Nice price, but a Gyro just isn't for me.
Wheelman-111
Most of my money is spent on scooterparts. The rest is just wasted.
"ISO": '03 Vespa ET4 Malossi187 74MPH
Flash 9: 2001 Elite SR Contesta 72 ZX Tran, 9:1 Gears, Stock Airbox/Carb/Pipe 58.8 MPH
Punkin: 2010 Vespa/Malossi S78, 61MPH
motormike

Post by motormike »

Wheelman-111 wrote:Greetings:

It's about 3.5 hours away. Nice price, but a Gyro just isn't for me.
Avatar.JPG (23.07 KiB) Viewed 7161 times
RideRed
benji
CB900F
CB900F

Post by benji »

The front wheels on those look like the wheels on my bws 50. If you put a blue and red pair of pinstripes on em they'd look just like the steel offroad wheels I used to see when I was young haha.

I saw one of these on cl up here in seattle for 600 I think. Tried to get ahold of the guy but couldn't. >:( I hate it when people don't answer there cl ads.
vintagegarage
Elite
Elite

Post by vintagegarage »

I put about 160 miles on the new Gyro in the past three days, got the black black, the red red, and while not a Honda accessory basket, I basketized it with a generic one from Dollar General that I painted black with Dupont Chroma One. It will do until I get the correct Honda basket. My repairs to the punctures in the seat vinyl came out disappointingly poor and amateurish, so I still need to find a better seat. It runs perfectly now, and there isn't much more than I can do to improve it's originality or appearance, so at the end of the day today, I moved it into the regular rotation for the daily cheeseburger and dog biscuit trips to drive it in turn with the others. I also added its entry to my multi-page Excel maintenance spreadsheet to keep the wheelman happy..

On the subject of red, the 1984 NN50 Gyro Sparkling Red (code R127) and the 1986 TG50 Gyro S Monza Red (code R110) are essentially the same, and both are a very close match to Krylon Fusion Pepper Red. I say close, but to me it is exact. The red color on the plastics on the NN50 are factory paint over white plastic, while the red color on the TG50 is molded into the plastic. To get the red red on the 1986 it just takes elbow grease and plastic cleaner/treatment, but no paint. However, I did need to paint one of the front shock towers on the TG50 to cover up missing paint caused by the removal of 30 year old college parking stickers that had become a permanent part of the shock tower. I touched up the damaged area with Pepper Red, and you can't tell it.

In any event, that completes my work for now on the TG50.. time to move on to the next project.. Here is the last photo, showing the final results. The NN50 was my first Honda scooter, the TG50 my last, at least through today.

Wheelman-111

Post by Wheelman-111 »

Greetings:

Vintage says:
I also added its entry to my multi-page Excel maintenance spreadsheet to keep the wheelman happy..
Ha! I for one am SO relieved. Really cool scoot collection, my brother. Respect.
Wheelman-111
Most of my money is spent on scooterparts. The rest is just wasted.
"ISO": '03 Vespa ET4 Malossi187 74MPH
Flash 9: 2001 Elite SR Contesta 72 ZX Tran, 9:1 Gears, Stock Airbox/Carb/Pipe 58.8 MPH
Punkin: 2010 Vespa/Malossi S78, 61MPH