Gyro - general thread

The place to discuss rides, accessories, or whatever is tangentially Spree/Elite-related

Moderator: Moderator

motormike

Re: Gyro - general thread

Post by motormike »

eBay $20 carbs are as Wheelman says,...risky
I am pretty sure I have the correct bystarter hold down you need.
Also, I am puzzled by your symptoms, but trying to diagnose via computer has never been easy.
Clean that carb again...and re-test the bystarter.
Send me a pm with your mailing address...I will send you the hold-down....mm
RideRed
<Gyro S><MB5><Honda Navi><Helix><Sym Wolf><Yamaha Razz><Honda CH150 Deluxe>
"Live Large - Ride Small"
Wheelman-111

Post by Wheelman-111 »

Greetings:

Mike o'Motor is a nice guy. I'm just wondering; is the "mm" for your initials or are you chanting your Mantra?
Wheelman-111
Most of my money is spent on scooterparts. The rest is just wasted.
"ISO": '03 Vespa ET4 Malossi187 74MPH
Flash 9: 2001 Elite SR Contesta 72 ZX Tran, 9:1 Gears, Stock Airbox/Carb/Pipe 58.8 MPH
Punkin: 2010 Vespa/Malossi S78, 61MPH
motormike

Post by motormike »

One moment please...while I light the incense and talk to the flowers.
RideRed
MrJumps
CB900F
CB900F

Post by MrJumps »

M┬▓

Motor Mike

Hue hue hue im a loser
1993 ch80, swapped with a ch250
2021 DRZ400sm :worship:
motormike

Post by motormike »

MrJumps wrote:M┬▓

Motor Mike

Hue hue hue im a loser
I LIKE IT...but cannot duplicate it...I have no little 2.. :sad:
RideRed
catch22!
BMX
BMX

Post by catch22! »

Still having some carb issues. All passages are clean ( used carb cleaner and passage brushes on every opening), fuel needle is clean, float does not have a hole in it. When I lift the float bowl, it closes off the flow from the fuel line). New bystarter valve that was tested outside the carb and it moves under 12v power. Cleaned the fuel filter on the fuel valve and have a good flow to the carb. Engine will not start on its own. If I use a little starting fluid to the air cleaner, it fires right up and runs fine. It will not idle with the throttle closed. This is goofy to me as the idle is simply a tapered needle that raises the needle in the carb.
I have a new coil and spark plug wire. Plug is set to factory. Reeds are clean and flat. Appear to be sealing. Compression is 130.

Bike has good power when it is running. Responsive throttle.
motormike

Post by motormike »

Try this ! !...when starting cold, lock the rear brake lever, and while cranking with your right hand, use your left hand to reach back and cover the air intake port on the air filter housing. This creates additional pull on the gas in the bowl and is just enough to draw gas into the carb throat, resulting in ignition. Be sure to remove fingers from intake as engine fires.
RideRed
catch22!
BMX
BMX

Post by catch22! »

Thanks Mike. Will try it. I checked the bystarter circuit and all checks as ok. Had to use starting fluid on it today, and did a little adjustment on the carb. It then started on its own (warm?). I still have a bit of idle issues. It will idle for about 30 seconds and then dies. Runs great when it is running. I now see why you like them.

I noted a Gyro S. on Ebay. http://www.ebay.com/itm/1985-honda-tg50 ... kM&vxp=mtr. His description of the start issues sound like mine.
catch22!
BMX
BMX

Post by catch22! »

Dont know what changed, but the scooter is now running very well. Starts right up and idles nice. I am thinking the tinkering with the bistarter connections may have done it. Thanks for the assistance.

:coolcruise:
Attachments
IMG_20161013_160934467.jpg
IMG_20161013_160934467.jpg (211.55 KiB) Viewed 6475 times
catch22!
BMX
BMX

Post by catch22! »

Still can't find the fuel valve sticker. If anyone can take a picture of one and post it, I would appreciate it.
motormike

Post by motormike »

The spot below is reserved for vintagegarage to display his most recent acquisition.
RideRed
vintagegarage
Elite
Elite

Post by vintagegarage »

A big thanks to motormike who got me off the dime.. here are a couple of photos of the new project. I'm still looking forward to the first ride which should be a few days from now:

vintagegarage
Elite
Elite

Post by vintagegarage »

The burning question is how to properly basketize the new Gyro.. I found this page from the Road Fox brochure that points the way:

I see several options there.. the first is to get the rack that mounts on the front, the second seems to be the easiest.. get the basket that fits on the rear rack.

In an effort to catch up to 1man8scoots and his 38 scooters, I'm planning a month long trip to Japan, China and Taiwan for early this year. I hope to come home with a sea container load of used Honda scooters, and will look hard in a number of junkyards for Gyro optional accessories.
Meatball
CB900F
CB900F

Post by Meatball »

vintagegarage wrote:I'm planning a month long trip to Japan, China and Taiwan for early this year. I hope to come home with a sea container load of used Honda scooters.
Grab me a DJ1-R while youre there... :smile:
I need to find some new haters...the ones I have are starting to like me.
vintagegarage
Elite
Elite

Post by vintagegarage »

I spent the day working on the fuel system on the new Gyro. The carburetor had been thrown away by a previous owner, as well as the short length of throttle cable that goes from the junction box on the side of the airbox to the carb. Included with the Gyro was one of those brand new $20 replacement carbs that are sold on eBay that claims to be for a TG50. I cleaned the gas tank, and after an hour or more of cleaning I got the fuel valve to work fairly well. I remade the fuel line from the tank to the carb, using new Honda hose and Honda spring clamps. I cleaned up the airbox and made a new air filter, as the old air filter was pretty much just dust. I took apart the new carb to see what number mainjet was in it, and found that the main jet had no number on it. I remember a discussion we had this past summer on how to find the number on the main jet, and we all assumed that the main jet would have a number stamped on it. Turns out this is not true, as the main jet on this new carb had no number stamped on it. I replaced the unnumbered main jet with a #75 main jet, but have no idea what the needle profile is on this carb. I decided to go ahead and install the new carb temporarily until I can source a genuine OEM replacement. The new carb had a 2 pin connector instead of bullet connectors on the bystarter, but the biggest problem with the new carb was the location of the fuel line fitting. Instead of being on the left side of the carb, it faces to the rear, and fouls with the plastic intake pipe cover. The intake pipe cover is clearly part of the cooling system for the engine as it is sealed to the cylinder shroud with a foam gasket, so by having the wrong location for the fuel line fitting is pretty much a deal breaker for using the new carb long term. I managed to make a 45 degree bend in the brass fuel line fitting without breaking the carb, and so was able to get fuel to the carb while still having the intake pipe cover in place... a real Rube Goldberg job, but it will work short term. If I had bought the carb myself, I'd have given the seller negative feedback. The carb clearly isn't a valid replacement for the OEM TG50 carb. I put in a new sparkplug, put a couple of squirts of gasoline into the top of the carb through the slide opening, hit the starter button, and the engine fired right up and ran very nicely on fast idle. Have good oil pump flow, and I let the engine fast idle for about 5 minutes. Tomorrow, I will try to make up the missing short throttle cable by cutting up a used spree throttle cable, and if I can get the throttle working, I plan on going for the first test ride. After the test ride, I'll start a search for the correct carb and throttle cable. There are a couple of used throttle cables on ebay right now... pretty pricey at $35-$50 each for a 10 inch throttle cable, but at least they are available. Still don't have a line on an original carb in good shape..