Gyro - general thread

The place to discuss rides, accessories, or whatever is tangentially Spree/Elite-related

Moderator: Moderator

vintagegarage
Elite
Elite

Re: Gyro - general thread

Post by vintagegarage »

vintagegarage
Elite
Elite

Post by vintagegarage »

So this happened last week:

vintagegarage
Elite
Elite

Post by vintagegarage »

This was a two into one project. I found a second Gyro with a Florida title that had a factory Hondaline Gyro windshield, and decided to use the best parts of both that one and the blue parts Gyro that was taking up space in the shop. I had been looking for a Gyro windshield after spotting one in the 1984 Gyro brochure, see:

http://www.motorscooterguide.net/brochu ... 4-Gyro.pdf

The windshield mounts are under the handlebars and to mount the windshield, you remove the round cutouts that are directly below the handlebar mounts. There are round rubber pads, sort of like big rubber fender washers that fit between the windshield bracket and the mounts, to allow for some give if the windshield gets bumped. A single M8 bolt on each side is all that mounts the windshield to the handlebars.

Here is what the windshield looks like when mounted:

And a front view:

And from the back:

vintagegarage
Elite
Elite

Post by vintagegarage »

The blue gyro is now fully operational and has been inserted into regular riding rotation. I am still looking for an original Gyro front basket for it, to replace the homemade one I made up last week. Other than the missing basket, that Gyro is complete, and runs and drives like new. The plastic parts are not in the best of shape though. Most of them have a chip, crack or a piece missing. The engine cover is slightly melted as a previous owner ran the engine without the rubber top duct in place. Since some of the plastic parts on a Gyro are painted, while some have the color molded in, and there is some fading after 35 years, color matching is somewhat of a compromise, but I found that Dupli-color Ford Blue Engine Enamel is a very good match to the Gyro Neptune Blue color. see:

https://www.duplicolor.com/product/engi ... th-ceramic

and click on the Colors tab.
vintagegarage
Elite
Elite

Post by vintagegarage »

On the other hand, the red parts Gyro is in very sorry shape. Overall, the red plastics are in very nice shape, except that the front fender is broken in half and the seat lock mounting hole has been broken out. I do have a fairly good front fender that I'll mount if I can fix all of the other problems.

The engine cover was completely melted as a previous owner had run the gyro with none of the heat shielding around the muffler. If you want a good laugh, have a look at the engine cover that came with it. The front of the cover is to the top of the picture. The cover was mounted with two screws up front, and it just lay on top of the rear tires, with no rear mounts.. LOL.

I found that I had a spare muffler heat shield and separator box sitting on the shelf, and I bought a used original air filter box for it. The P,O, had been using a cheap pod filter, and had bolted the coil to the engine block instead of to the air filter box. In addition, the stator tests to be bad, perhaps because it got too hot. I haven't taken the left side apart yet to see what is wrong with the stator, but the P.O. had cut the yellow AC output wire from the stator and had patched in 12VDC to the coil, and somehow had powered the CDI with 12VDC so that the engine actually ran when I got it. The gearbox worked perfectly, and the engine ran fairly well, with a slight misfire that seemed to me to be a lean condition, perhaps caused by using the pod filter. The spark plug was also the wrong plug... all that you could say about it was that it screwed into the hole.

In any event, I rewired the the wiring harness to be correct, mounted the correct air box with a new noiseguy filter, and the next step is to have a look at the stator to see if I can fix it. I still need a few scarce parts of engine ductwork, and perhaps a used stator. I am anxious to get it running again, and need the AC output from the stator to run the engine.

This one is a real toss up.. Needs a front basket, rear rack, probably a stator, a rear engine cover, both JDM turn signal blockouts, and some engine ductwork. Hard to find parts.. might just put this one in a corner until I can find another basket case..
vintagegarage
Elite
Elite

Post by vintagegarage »

I rode all the Gyros yesterday, and took a group photo of them in the driveway. All of them run, shift and drive very well.

The red NN50 on the left is the first scooter I ever owned, and I bought it about four years ago. It is complete but oil leaks past the seals in the oil pump and the engine cylinder will fill up with oil if it isn't ridden at least once every three weeks. Every part is original Honda.

I bought the red TG50 next in line about two years ago. It is complete and isn't missing any parts. Except for the baskets, and seat cover, every part is original Honda.

The blue NN50 is now complete, and is only missing an original Honda NN50 front basket. It is the combination of using the best parts from two basket case NN50 Gyros.

The red NN50 on the right runs, shifts and drives well, but is missing many parts. When I got it, the stator was bad, and many parts were missing. I gambled $175 to buy a used engine with a stator on eBay. As it turns out that stator was good, and I moved that stator and flywheel from that engine to this one. I also got a few engine cooling shroud parts from that engine and installed them as well. That engine also had an oil pump and I plan to install that pump in the first Gyro if it turns out to be good. I am not sure why I have spent so much time getting this last gyro running and driving well, as it doesn't have a title. It is missing the front basket, the rear rack, the two front JDM turn signal blockouts, the plastic engine cover, the rear bumper, the plastic carb cover, the plastic duct that goes over the fan opening, and the rubber six hole top duct. The mirrors are not Honda mirrors. I do have a good red front fender for it, but haven't mounted it yet. Bottom line is it was more fun to get this one running well than spending my days working crossword or soduku puzzles.. I still have the rest of the $175 engine sitting on a shelf in the shop, so I guess I am looking for another Gyro NN50 basket case that needs an engine.. LOL
motormike

Post by motormike »

The sign says it all.
Attachments
MG-cemetery-Helix 010.JPG
MG-cemetery-Helix 010.JPG (167.63 KiB) Viewed 8275 times
RideRed
<Gyro S><MB5><Honda Navi><Helix><Sym Wolf><Yamaha Razz><Honda CH150 Deluxe>
"Live Large - Ride Small"
vintagegarage
Elite
Elite

Post by vintagegarage »

Well, I thought I was probably the only Gyro guy with a blue Gyro with a factory accessory windshield, but here is another. This one is in New York, and is selling on eBay with no reserve. The bodywork appears to be much better than mine, so this auction will set a price higher than mine is worth..

https://www.ebay.com/itm/1984-HONDA-Gyr ... SwKWhdJKl-

Ellenreure
Noob
Noob

Hello

Post by Ellenreure »

Hello, thanks!
motormike

Post by motormike »

Hello vintagegarage ...[wave]
Got a tip today about an '84 Gyro...blue.
Bought it...no pix yet.
It is properly basketized already.
My girlfriend put 7 miles on it today in the church parking lot.
This Gyro is missing nothing as far as i can see.
Watch this thread for pix....seeya Vaughn....mm
RideRed
vintagegarage
Elite
Elite

Post by vintagegarage »

Sounds good.. if you do find you need parts, I have quite a few .. Make sure the muffler shroud (PROTECTOR SUB-ASSY., ENGINE COVER 80114-GK0-670); starter water shield (GUARD, WATER 80133-GK0-000); rubber 6 hole top duct (DUCT, COVER TOP 80132-GK0-000 80132-GK0-010); fan duct (DUCT, AIR 80131-GK0-000); are still in place for proper cooling, or you will melt the plastic vents in the engine cover.

Looking forward to pictures..
motormike

Post by motormike »

vintagegarage wrote: Thu Aug 15, 2019 7:25 am Sounds good.. if you do find you need parts, I have quite a few .. Make sure the muffler shroud (PROTECTOR SUB-ASSY., ENGINE COVER 80114-GK0-670); starter water shield (GUARD, WATER 80133-GK0-000); rubber 6 hole top duct (DUCT, COVER TOP 80132-GK0-000 80132-GK0-010); fan duct (DUCT, AIR 80131-GK0-000); are still in place for proper cooling, or you will melt the plastic vents in the engine cover.

Looking forward to pictures..

There is already a minor "melt" of the vent slits on the cover. All seems to be in place at the moment.
May have happened many years ago. Will heed your advice.
RideRed
vintagegarage
Elite
Elite

Post by vintagegarage »

I haven't yet found an engine cover without melted slits, so it might not be possible to not melt them unless the scooter hasn't been run. It would be great if others with 1984 Gyros would also comment on what they have found. mm.. sending PM to you.
harleyracer59
Elite
Elite

Post by harleyracer59 »

I wish I could compare notes. but mine didn't have an engine cover when I got it. I bought a honda joy tb08 cover and mounted it on my 84. all mounting points matched up where the cover mounted. I made some spacers to mount the 235/30-10 tires on it. I think I only have the back spacers still on it since I now have gyro S hubs and tires on the 84 now. btw, the joy cover I bought has the little hatch intact and all vent slits are mint. I need the little black HONDA mud flap in the very rear. if any one has one they'd like to sell Lmk thanks
motormike

Post by motormike »

Hiya harleyracer59... :hi:
You will see in the pix that the rear bumper is fully intact on mine.
Had a friend , Joe, come over and we took both my gyros out for a spin.
After 6-7 miles WOT, the rubber vents were smoking and they cover was
soft and melted at the very top center of the vents. Even the carb access panel is mis-shapened a bit now.
Too bad it happened, but I suspect Honda made a boner move in the design department.
Like Vaughn said, they all seem to do it.
BTW Vaughn...ALL components were present and properly affixed when the heat started smoking the rubber vents
and the plastic was visibly melting.
Had Joe do a few runs with the cover completely off and found the temps of the muffler to be 450 degrees upon returning.
I am thinking that the only solution to avoid this scenario in the future is to modify the cover and eliminate the warped plastic by replacing it with metal mesh. Here are some pix I took before we rode today.
Attachments
Blue Gyro 009.JPG
Blue Gyro 009.JPG (169.08 KiB) Viewed 7920 times
Blue Gyro 008.JPG
Blue Gyro 008.JPG (169.08 KiB) Viewed 7920 times
Blue Gyro 007.JPG
Blue Gyro 007.JPG (169.95 KiB) Viewed 7920 times
Blue Gyro 006.JPG
Blue Gyro 006.JPG (168.9 KiB) Viewed 7920 times
Blue Gyro 005.JPG
Blue Gyro 005.JPG (169.26 KiB) Viewed 7920 times
Blue Gyro 004.JPG