Gyro - general thread

The place to discuss rides, accessories, or whatever is tangentially Spree/Elite-related

Moderator: Moderator

Kustomkarma
Elite
Elite

Re: Gyro - general thread

Post by Kustomkarma »

Just curious... is it possible to put wider rear wheels on the early Gyro? I've seen it done on the later ones.
motormike

Post by motormike »

Kustomkarma wrote:Just curious... is it possible to put wider rear wheels on the early Gyro? I've seen it done on the later ones.
The easy answer is "Yes, can be done."
I don't remember anyone doing it and showing us here on the forum... :?:
Do I remember correctly, the '84 wheel is attached with a single nut ?.. :urban:
RideRed
<Gyro S><MB5><Honda Navi><Helix><Sym Wolf><Yamaha Razz><Honda CH150 Deluxe>
"Live Large - Ride Small"
vintagegarage
Elite
Elite

Post by vintagegarage »

I'm in Yokohama today, filling up a sea container with used Honda scooters, so I can get ahead of 1man8scoots in total count.. I stopped for lunch at McDonalds and found three Gyro Canopy delivery scoots out back.. 8 inch wheels in back, 12 inch in front.. Here is photo of one, with some detail photos:

benji
CB900F
CB900F

Post by benji »

Bring me back a jog or 2!
benji
CB900F
CB900F

Post by benji »

You guys might like this...
https://youtu.be/VOrTRtZSAxs
Knuts
Noob
Noob

Post by Knuts »

Hey guys. New Gyro owner here. I bought an 84 NN50 last month and I am just getting around to working on it. I am having a problem with it stalling/poor performance when it gets hot. New plug, air filter, fresh fuel, cleaned the carb (3 times). I pulled the new plug and its fouled. I checked the oil pump o-ring and it looks good. It has good compression as well. I did notice when I was pulling the carb the bystarter plastic is cracked in a couple of spots. Would a bad bystarter cause a fouled plug. There is a good amount of gas/oil around the opening when I pull the plug out. And if the bystarter needs to be replaced where do I find one? Thanks in advance. Cant wait to get my Gyro up and running.
motormike

Post by motormike »

Greetings Knuts... :hi:
Yes, the bystarter will allow fuel to flow through the enrichment circuit when first started.
Then, upon warming, the bystarter will close the enrichment circuit.
If bystarter is not functioning properly, the enrichment circuit will continue to flow fuel
even once the engine has reached operating temperature.
This will cause too much fuel and tend to foul and engine will die.
Bystarter test is simple and is described in "Wikispreedia"
Click Link below... :urban:

http://hondaspree.net/wiki/index.php5?title=Main_Page
RideRed
Knuts
Noob
Noob

Post by Knuts »

Wow thanks motormike! Thanks for the help. Wikispreedia is an excellent reference. So upon further investigation my bystarter fell apart when I took it out to test it. The plastic broke into multiple pieces and the brass needle fell out. So my next question is other than eBay is there anywhere else I can find that part? I saw a cheap knockoff carb on eBay that appears to have a bystarter included. Would that work? I found one for an 85-56 gyro used for $75. Is that the same part? Thanks.
motormike

Post by motormike »

Knuts wrote: I saw a cheap knockoff carb on eBay that appears to have a bystarter included. Would that work?
I found one for an 85-56 gyro used for $75. Is that the same part?
Other members have tried the Ebay carbs and found them to be somewhat different..not exactly like OEM, and not run right.(seems like the airbox wouldn't fit very good)... The bystarter MIGHT interchange. Try a search in this site, it is probably mentioned in this thread...not too long ago...Secondly, you should create a thread in the Wanted/For Sale category seeking a bystarter from our group. I am going to check my stash, but think my spare is broken also.
As for paying $75 for the one you found on Ebay...don't let yourself be gouged that way. The Ebay seller who claims to have more Gyro parts than anybody is known to be very greedy. Others have bought from him, I will NOT.

RideRed
motormike

Post by motormike »

My stash of Gyro bystaters non-existent..sorry... :urban:
RideRed
Knuts
Noob
Noob

Post by Knuts »

Thanks for checking. I will keep an eye out for one. Until then guess its short rides only.
benji
CB900F
CB900F

Post by benji »

I've got a stock aero carb with bystander if that'll work
catch22!
BMX
BMX

Post by catch22! »

My TG50 starts right up, but after about 3 to 5 minutes it dies and then will not start up for another 3 to 5 minutes. I checked the fuel flow and it is good. Bistarter checks out per the manual, but it sure appears to be a lack of fuel. Fuel valve is clear, but I did note when I put the valve in the reserve position, it leaks quite a bit. Valve issue or other?

Also, is the fuel cap vented? Could it be a plugged vent?
kevinv710
Spree
Spree

Post by kevinv710 »

sounds slow clogging up on fuel supply system.......try this...when it dies, you immediate remove drain screw, to see any fuel left in the bowl, if none...just don't do anything, but waiting to see how long it takes for fuel comes out from there.....
catch22!
BMX
BMX

Post by catch22! »

Pulled the cover off the fuel valve and started to drain the tank. Just a trickle of fuel coming out. So, I am draining the tank and pulling the valve. From the leak coming from it when it is in reserve, it needs a rebuild anyway.