License plates, Insurance, Helmets and general confusion

The place to discuss rides, accessories, or whatever is tangentially Spree/Elite-related

Moderator: Moderator

nejeff
Noob
Noob

License plates, Insurance, Helmets and general confusion

Post by nejeff »

Went to title the Spree this morning and the lady says to me "do you want to get the plates today? Do you have your insurance card?" I said it's only a 49cc and she said "oh, then you won't be riding it on the streets then? Can't ride 49cc scooter legally on the streets UNLESS it has plates..." Of course you can't get plates without insurance here in Nebraska. I checked with insurance and they want $110 a year and thats with me and not my 17 year old as the driver. I have been driving this thing right in front of police with no helmet, no tags and no problems but now I am grinding to a halt. I'm not trying to beat the system but I really thought plates, insurance, helmets (except for my son) were optional. Next I'm going to find out you need a motorcycle endorsement! I hate to second guess the lady at the window but it doesn't sound right. I see kids on little powered mini rockets and powered scooters all the time. Any thoughts?
Bear45-70
CBR1000RR
CBR1000RR

Re: License plates, Insurance, Helmets and general confusion

Post by Bear45-70 »

Every state is different. Here in Washington State you need a title, registration and plates. No insurance required and no motorcycle endorsement on your DL, Drivers Licence, needed. Pop your helmet on and go ride.
Bear 45/70

'83 Aero 80 X 3
'84 Aero 80 X 3

'85 Aero 80
'84 Aero 125 X 2
'84 Aero 125
'84 Aero 125 X 2
'85 Aero 50
'85 Spree
nejeff
Noob
Noob

Post by nejeff »

Thanks for the info. Really wish we didn't need that insurance! Plates are not bad cost wise but the insurance is a bummer and I think when I tell them my 17 year will be a driver on it its going to go up quite a bit. I ride big ones so I don't mind the helmet, I'm use to it. I'm noticing I sure get a lot of interesting looks on this baby.
fightingplankton
CB900F
CB900F

Post by fightingplankton »

speaking of helmet...i just saw a guy riding thru town yesterday on a black 86 spree...wearing an old sun-faded bicycle helmet.
What is worse...there was a cop right next to him at the stop light on 7th and summitview ave.
i thought it was funny cuz i didnt know if he was wearing it to protect himself, or just to make it look like he had a legit helmet
'86 spree
'86 aero50
'83 aero80
fightingplankton
CB900F
CB900F

this doesnt make any sense. im trying to find the nebraska official law book(like washington RCW) but i came across this

http://moped2.org/laws/Nebraska.htm

seems totally wrong. says scooters arent street legal.
'86 spree
'86 aero50
'83 aero80
nejeff
Noob
Noob

Post by nejeff »

I've ridden right next to and passed by at least 6 Police officers and know one has pulled me over. All without helmet, no plates. I am tempted to drive over to the police sub station and ask them what is up. I don't really have a problem with the helmet, matter of fact its the right thing for sure, but the plates / insurance thing might very well keep my son off the thing. There is no clarity.
fightingplankton
CB900F
CB900F

looks like considers scooters motorcycles in your state.
http://www.dmv.ne.gov/dvr/mvtitles/motorcycle.html

so you have to treat it like you would a real bike.

easy way around this.... just weld some pedals to it. make it a moped. then its free from tax and registration.
'86 spree
'86 aero50
'83 aero80
nejeff
Noob
Noob

Post by nejeff »

Yeah, I'm thinking that must be the case. The thing that gets me is I see people all the time tooling around on pocket bikes, old minibikes and those powered stand up things. I could probably drive this thing for 4 years, wear the helmet, and never have a hassle with anyone. For my sons sake though probably got to go legit (if I can afford it!) or sell it.
fightingplankton
CB900F
CB900F

if you're out in cornville and the only police u have to worry about is sheriff McLawdog, talk to him see what he says.
if you're in the city, i'd go legit. i had old plates & tabs on mine, got pulled over, cop thought i stole it, big problems.

i would say "if he drives right, always signals, etc they probably wont pull him over"
however, i remember being a teenager...and i know that will NEVER happen.
'86 spree
'86 aero50
'83 aero80
nejeff
Noob
Noob

Post by nejeff »

Yeah, live in town. Going to have to go legit. The rules regarding these things are a joke, no wonder why nobody knows what the * is going on. Easier for the police to "go blind" then try and deceifer the DMV code I guess
CNI Dawg
Spree
Spree

Post by CNI Dawg »

A Spree is classified as a Moped in Texas - go figure !
61Aand Still Having Fun !
Keeping the Dream Alive ! :)

01 Elite 50SR
'85 Spree
CMRA #77 MCE, '03 CBR600RR - Dark Horse Racing
dun rite
Board Supporter
Board Supporter

Post by dun rite »

for the insurance, try geicko. Had to get ins. & license for the ruckus ' cause it's over 2.0 horsepower. Allstate wouldn't ins cause I did not have a license for at least 2 years.???????
geicko was only 99.00 per year. good luck
taz 50mm bbk, 51g. rollers,1500 c spring
24mm arreche, #20 pilot, E2 needle clip on lower groove
arreche air filter
Naruku intake, reeds & block
v8 pipe
stock gears
trail tech temp & rpm gauges
PimpinSpree
Elite
Elite

Post by PimpinSpree »

everyone i know (and many people i don't know) try to give me legal advice on the scooter but they are wrong and i know for a fact that here in Oregon, if it is under 50cc then you don't need a motorcycle endorsement, everything else is identical to every other vehicle on the road. You need a drivers license, tags, insurance and a helmet. Only thing is, the cops are also in the dark about scooter law. Ive been pulled over a few times without proper paperwork and i said, "i thought you didn't need that stuff if its under 50cc" and they say. "there is something about it being under 50cc, but i'm not sure what it says"
nejeff
Noob
Noob

Post by nejeff »

I talked to insurance and because I already have one motorcycle insured I get a discount on the scooter...$65.00 a year. They figure you can't ride them both at the same time I guess. Probably what I'll do.
TiffanySpree
Spree
Spree

Post by TiffanySpree »

Probably the worst state for scooters is California. I just shipped it from there to Michigan. If you do not keep current registration, you may be liable for back fees!! Also, any bike (50cc even) requires plates and insurance! Ouch! At least in Michigan, it is considered a recreation vehicle and no plates or insurance is required. You just need a 3 year sticker. But I hear the MI scooter law is quite loosely governed. I've heard of minibikes like a YSR50, NS50f or MB5 are stickered as scooters just because of the 50cc motor. But those bikes have manual clutches which disqualifies it as a scooter. It really depends on the lady/guy at the office. If it were me, I would just go back to a different office, different person. You might get lucky.

The downside in Michigan is that it is not so scooter friendly (25-35 mph streets) unless you live near a downtown. I wish I lived near a city better suited for scooters.
----
1986 NQ50d Spree Tiffany green/white - wifeys. Currently modding to get more *!
Early head, exhaust port, intake manifold, intake pod filter, 2.75 rear tire, pulley mod.