Need help with Elite 50 brake. (I'm new to this site)

The place to discuss rides, accessories, or whatever is tangentially Spree/Elite-related

Moderator: Moderator

87spree70superbee
Spree
Spree

Need help with Elite 50 brake. (I'm new to this site)

Post by 87spree70superbee »

Hi guys, I'm new to this site, and I need some help. My uncle has an '87 Elite 50 (I think, it's not huge, similar to a spree in size) and the rear brake is seized. I know for a fact that it is the drum, because you can pound on the rear linkage, that sticks, and then pull on the handle bars, and everything moves freely, including the cable. So, what I need to know is what do I have to remove to get to the drum and try to free it up. I just don't want to break anything. :nervous:

Thanks everyone, and yes I am a :newb: to this site.
Black 85 Spree-SOLD

Red 87 Spree... Ended up buying the same one mentioned below.

I started riding my uncle's 87 Spree at the drag strip when I was 8...

It's easier to stop caring three years ago than it is to fix it in present time.
Palero2003
Spree
Spree

Re: Need help with Elite 50 brake. (I'm new to this site)

Post by Palero2003 »

This is what I did on my front for the ellite. Sprayed pb on the screw and nut let soak for a bit. Do same for wheel nut and the hindge thingy that cable attaches to. And the shaft. Take cable off after soaked for a bit. Remove rear wheel (may have totals exhaust off). Remove the bracket that attaches to the shaft for brake. Remove springs from the pads. Remove pads. Should see the pivot thing thats the shaft part. Knock it out on the front had to hit from shaft side should be same for the rear. After get that out clean the hole it left and clean up the shaft. Grease up the hole and shaft and put back in an put all back together. May need to replace the cable or at least lube it up spraying wd-40 into it.
Hope this helps be better if someone has pics may also be in the service book thing dunno
ERROR 1604
evilone
Board Supporter
Board Supporter

Post by evilone »

87spree70superbee wrote:So, what I need to know is what do I have to remove to get to the drum and try to free it up.
Muffler needs removed to get to the nut on the wheel, remove nut and wheel.
2001 Honda Elite
1995 Yamaha Jog
1994 Yamaha Axis

I can't believe
that cop put me
in the backseat
when I clearly
called shotgun.
dun rite
Board Supporter
Board Supporter

Post by dun rite »

http://www.hondaspree.net/other/Spree_NQ50_84-87_1.pdf

download the above, it will help. Good luck
taz 50mm bbk, 51g. rollers,1500 c spring
24mm arreche, #20 pilot, E2 needle clip on lower groove
arreche air filter
Naruku intake, reeds & block
v8 pipe
stock gears
trail tech temp & rpm gauges
87spree70superbee
Spree
Spree

Post by 87spree70superbee »

Thanks all, but I probably should have mentioned that I've tried lubing the * out of the outside linkage already, so I'm pretty sure that it's all with the insides.

The scooter had been sitting outside for years, and when my uncle bought it, he just sprayed some starter fluid into the carb, added fuel stabilizer into the tank, and ran out all the old stale gas. Ever since it's ran like a champ, we just need to fix the brake so nobody kills themselves on it. I've almost flipped it once, and my uncle forgot it had no rear brakes and locked up the front one by accident. Thankfully that one was on wet grass, so it didn't hurt him or the scoot.
Black 85 Spree-SOLD

Red 87 Spree... Ended up buying the same one mentioned below.

I started riding my uncle's 87 Spree at the drag strip when I was 8...

It's easier to stop caring three years ago than it is to fix it in present time.
Palero2003
Spree
Spree

Post by Palero2003 »

Same as mine lol was told sat outside for 10yrs was a rust bucket coated the * out of it with pb blaster took front apart and was the shaft thIngy that was causing the problems cleaned the rust and greased it been fine put like 300 miles on it since then
ERROR 1604