Engine shroud question.

The place to discuss rides, accessories, or whatever is tangentially Spree/Elite-related

Moderator: Moderator

85stroka
Elite
Elite

Post by 85stroka »

but you could over rev? no fan less drag,I highly doubt it ,but you never know, you can seize at high speed even with air riding over it,there's always a way, too little oil,too much air,too little fuel.
remember 2 strokes can run lean in differnet ways, oil,fuel ,air.
Remember,everyone is human,even if there stupid!
Kemmer
Goped
Goped

Post by Kemmer »

Sure, but even a fan won't help me if those things are wrong.
85stroka
Elite
Elite

Post by 85stroka »

It may by help keeping the temp down!
MySpree
CBR1000RR
CBR1000RR

Post by MySpree »

dude its gonna seize
Kemmer
Goped
Goped

Post by Kemmer »

Nah, I really don't think it will. I'll just make sure everything is in good shape and I'll run a cooler plug.
85stroka
Elite
Elite

Post by 85stroka »

jet it on the rich side too!
Kenny_McCormic
CBR1000RR
CBR1000RR

Post by Kenny_McCormic »

dont do it just paint the shroud silver/chrome
darat
Veteran OG
Veteran OG

Post by darat »

that would look good..
MICHIGAN MOPED MAFIA Co Founder VET OG. 95 YAMAHA JOG 70CC
Jamie_Miles
Goped
Goped

Post by Jamie_Miles »

85stroka wrote:first, a chopper your legs dont block the eng - not on full size bikes anyway,second I seen race bikes that dont use fans and shoot nos!
First, a Spree is not a chopper, so that is irrelevant. Second, race bikes are either only meant to run for a short burst down the drag strip or are designed to run with no fan/shroud, etc. A Spree is not.

If you run a Spree with no shroud, the engine will overheat. The effects of overheating the engine may not be immediately apparent, but the life of the engine will be reduced greatly.
Comeing soon: Possibly the fastest Spree in the world...
Kemmer
Goped
Goped

Re: Engine shroud question.

Post by Kemmer »

ok, so this is a super old thread, but I thought I'd bump with some results. I sold the bike to a kid right after making that post. He took the shroud off and ran it for a couple of years. It stopped running because the exposed wiring got corroded. I cleaned up the wiring and ran it today and it runs just as good as the day I sold it.
KingJeff801
Board Supporter
Board Supporter

Post by KingJeff801 »

Kemmer wrote:ok, so this is a super old thread, but I thought I'd bump with some results. I sold the bike to a kid right after making that post. He took the shroud off and ran it for a couple of years. It stopped running because the exposed wiring got corroded. I cleaned up the wiring and ran it today and it runs just as good as the day I sold it.
That tells you every 2 stroke motor is different even if they are stamped the same, you can take the exact same peformance parts from one dio and put them on another and the output is inferior, thats just how 2 strokes are, its crazy!
2001 Elite S
72cc Corsa
24mm OKO
Scorpion Pipe

Pic and Vid post
http://www.hondaspree.net/phpBB3/viewto ... =pic+video

Gun Post
http://www.hondaspree.net/phpBB3/viewto ... =6&t=27051

Wrong Side Kings 4 Life
konaking
Spree
Spree

Post by konaking »

You either have to be mentally retarded or know nothing about engines non the less mopeds to run a bike with no fan shroud. The point of the shroud is to direct air from the fan to the cylinder and keep it circulated around the cylinder constantly. Even if the bike ran fine after a year or two I'm sure the compression is crap and the jug and piston are crap too. Just because there is no shroud and air will flow past the motor doesn't mean the cylinder will cool. Dumb people
z50r-ghost
CB900F
CB900F

Post by z50r-ghost »

I can't believe I'm reading this!!!
Remove the shrouds = seized engine
Remove the fan = seized engine

Its not "if it will happen," It's WHEN it will happen!! Guaranteed!

Good thought on relating it to a YSR, but have you ever seen a YSR's cooling fin area? It's 5 times more material than a spree/elite. Every engine is different. Compression, power, porting, cooling. I'd do as Kenny said, just paint your shrouds!!

J
.locked away in a cage my rage has got the best of me
time finds a way each day of leaving less of me behind.

>< Solitaire Unraveling ><
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U45NfWSX-Vk
...my life story

1990HONDANS50F
Bear45-70
CBR1000RR
CBR1000RR

Re:

Post by Bear45-70 »

Kemmer wrote:Nah, I really don't think it will. I'll just make sure everything is in good shape and I'll run a cooler plug.
The plug has nothing to do with what temp the engine runs at. Your lack of real knowledge about engines and how they function is glaringly obvious.
Bear 45/70

'83 Aero 80 X 3
'84 Aero 80 X 3

'85 Aero 80
'84 Aero 125 X 2
'84 Aero 125
'84 Aero 125 X 2
'85 Aero 50
'85 Spree
Wheelman-111

Topless Spree

Post by Wheelman-111 »

Greetings:

Quoth Kemmer regarding a 2-year history of Shroudless running:
I cleaned up the wiring and ran it today and it runs . I cleaned up the wiring and ran it today and it runs just as good as the day I sold it.(emphasis added).
That, as they say, is that. Dogmatocrats profess to know all about all engines, but your experience suggests it's not Certain Death to remove the shrouds, however unwise it may be.

I certainly don't intend for anyone to remove cooling shrouds from a built-up high-output engine. At the same time, a Spree with its modest output - more so if its compression was low to begin with - might survive such treatment indefinitely. If what you assert is true, it is proof thereof.

That said, it might not have been running all that well when the shrouds came off. Stock Sprees mosey on up to about 28MPH and can do it all day long, or so I'm told. It runs, but how well?
Wheelman-111
Most of my money is spent on scooterparts. The rest is just wasted.
"ISO": '03 Vespa ET4 Malossi187 74MPH
Flash 9: 2001 Elite SR Contesta 72 ZX Tran, 9:1 Gears, Stock Airbox/Carb/Pipe 58.8 MPH
Punkin: 2010 Vespa/Malossi S78, 61MPH