Engine shroud question.

The place to discuss rides, accessories, or whatever is tangentially Spree/Elite-related

Moderator: Moderator

Kemmer
Goped
Goped

Engine shroud question.

Post by Kemmer »

I have ditched all my plastics because I am building a chopper out of my Aero. I was wondering if it would be ok to ditch the engine shroud since there will be more airflow over the engine now. Has anybody tried this?
noiseguy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by noiseguy »

Yes, you need the forced cooling with fan and shrouds. The iron cylinder isn't designed to run with forced air cooling for long.
Admin, Hondaspree.net

Buy air filters and gaskets here (Ebay): http://stores.ebay.com/noiseguysstore
Buy air filters and gaskets here (Amazon): www.amazon.com/shops/spreepower
Buy a t-shirt here: https://teespring.com/stores/spree-powersport-products
Kemmer
Goped
Goped

Post by Kemmer »

Bummer, I was really hoping that removing all the plastic would take care of the air flow, those shrouds are really ugly. I might have to make some chrome ones or something.
MySpree
CBR1000RR
CBR1000RR

Post by MySpree »

maby make some scoops that mount on the frame re directing the airflow onto the cylyncer...
85stroka
Elite
Elite

Post by 85stroka »

noiseguy wrote:Yes, you need the forced cooling with fan and shrouds. The iron cylinder isn't designed to run with forced air cooling for long.
yeah what ever, if you have it so there is good airflow you dont need a fan and shroud, you may want to put a electric fan so that when your stopped it blows air,ysr's are cast iron and dont have a fan, the fins are bigger but not by much !
Remember,everyone is human,even if there stupid!
Kemmer
Goped
Goped

Post by Kemmer »

85stroka wrote: ...you may want to put a electric fan so that when your stopped it blows air...
Why would I ever want to stop???

The fan would be a good idea, just in case. I could probably hide a pretty good sized fan under the frame where it wouldn't be noticable, good call stroka.
MySpree
CBR1000RR
CBR1000RR

Post by MySpree »

i had a computer fan in mine i think i have pics someware here! it worked awsomely!
85spreeelite
Elite
Elite

Post by 85spreeelite »

Yea I was going to connect a pc fan i got from radio shack.
noiseguy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by noiseguy »

85stroka wrote:
noiseguy wrote:Yes, you need the forced cooling with fan and shrouds. The iron cylinder isn't designed to run with forced air cooling for long.
yeah what ever, if you have it so there is good airflow you dont need a fan and shroud, you may want to put a electric fan so that when your stopped it blows air,ysr's are cast iron and dont have a fan, the fins are bigger but not by much !
OK, so you've personally tried this and had no problems in stop and go traffic, stuck at a light, WOT around the island for 45 minutes, and the thing ran reliably for a few thousand miles?

The YSR50 does not have the rider's legs and the frame blocking airflow, and the cylinder was designed for free-air cooling. These scoots were not.

And I wouldn't trust a $5 Chinese computer fan to live through dirt/dust/rain/mud and heat that it will see in your proposed application.
Admin, Hondaspree.net

Buy air filters and gaskets here (Ebay): http://stores.ebay.com/noiseguysstore
Buy air filters and gaskets here (Amazon): www.amazon.com/shops/spreepower
Buy a t-shirt here: https://teespring.com/stores/spree-powersport-products
Kemmer
Goped
Goped

Post by Kemmer »

On second thought, a fan would just mung up the whole thing too. The best thing would be no fan and no shroud.

Maybe I'll just put a temp gauge on it and run it with the shroud and see what the temp should be, then I'll run with and w/o a fan and see how hot it gets. I split lanes in traffic, so I never have to wait more than one light cycle. I could even shut it off at a longer light if I had to. This thing is going to be all about having the bare minimum, so the engine shroud is kind of a sticking point for me. I really want to find a way to make it work.

Long WOT riding shouldn't be a problem at all, 30-40 MPH wind is plent to keep the engine cool I would think. At those speeds airflow is probably WAY more than that little fan provides. I really doubt this will get ridden on long rides all that often, I have a Vespa, a Lambretta and a CB550 that are all better suited for longer rides. (of course, the farther I ride the Lambretta, the longer It'll take to push it home!)
85stroka
Elite
Elite

Post by 85stroka »

noiseguy wrote:
85stroka wrote:
OK, so you've personally tried this and had no problems in stop and go traffic, stuck at a light, WOT around the island for 45 minutes, and the thing ran reliably for a few thousand miles?

The YSR50 does not have the rider's legs and the frame blocking airflow, and the cylinder was designed for free-air cooling. These scoots were not.

And I wouldn't trust a $5 Chinese computer fan to live through dirt/dust/rain/mud and heat that it will see in your proposed application.
first, a chopper your legs dont block the eng - not on full size bikes anyway,second I seen race bikes that dont use fans and shoot nos!
I ve riden bikes ,elites etc that did not have the fan or shroud for 40 minutes without it seizing.
It really depends on how creative you want to be to hide the fan/s you can get some really small 4 inchers that blow 50 cfm.
You can get a small computer fan to work well ,just get a high cfm and ball bearing- I ve used a couple over my open top saltwater tank for over 2 years without any problems!
If you jet it on the rich side you should not have a problem,I figure your gonna premix ,so grind the teeth of the oil pump,or buy a plug for it.
MySpree
CBR1000RR
CBR1000RR

Post by MySpree »

my fan has put tru everything and kept running! so yea.... i put in underwatter...( i was bored ) and i droped it alot... and it still works...
Kemmer
Goped
Goped

Post by Kemmer »

I'm gonna just go ahead and ditch the covers. Screw it, if I sieze I'll buy a 70cc kit. I won't damage anything but the top end if I get it too hot right?
85stroka
Elite
Elite

Post by 85stroka »

Kemmer wrote:I'm gonna just go ahead and ditch the covers. Screw it, if I sieze I'll buy a 70cc kit. I won't damage anything but the top end if I get it too hot right?
you couls seize bad enough to damage the rod and crank-depends on how fast you going.
Kemmer
Goped
Goped

Post by Kemmer »

I doubt I'll seize going full speed because there will be lots of air flow, I'll do plenty of plug chops to make sure I'm not too hot.