Engine shroud question.

The place to discuss rides, accessories, or whatever is tangentially Spree/Elite-related

Moderator: Moderator

z50r-ghost
CB900F
CB900F

Re: Engine shroud question.

Post by z50r-ghost »

Good hypothesis, Wheelman! A scooter engine running with lower compression would in theory run a tad cooler than an engine with factory spec compression

j
.locked away in a cage my rage has got the best of me
time finds a way each day of leaving less of me behind.

>< Solitaire Unraveling ><
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U45NfWSX-Vk
...my life story

1990HONDANS50F
Kemmer
Goped
Goped

Post by Kemmer »

It's an Aero 50, not a spree. It still does an easy 40mph, just like it always did. If you guys really think airflow from that little fan is greater than airflow from going down the road at 25+ with no plastics I suppose I won't convince you otherwise. Either way, the bike runs great, it has never seized (as some of the experts here assured me would happen immediately) and don't see any reason to believe that it won't continue to run just fine indefinitely. I don't have the shroud to put back on anyway, my buddy tossed it.

My purpose in updating this thread was simply to inform people that running without a shroud* does not equal instant death by heat seize. YMMV and all that jazz, there's no reason outside of aesthetics to ditch the shroud so if you're worried about it keep it on.

*this discussion assumes you have stripped your scooter of all the plastics. do not attempt this with the side plastics on under any circumstances. I wouldn't even attempt it with the front plastics on.
Bear45-70
CBR1000RR
CBR1000RR

Post by Bear45-70 »

Kemmer wrote:It's an Aero 50, not a spree. It still does an easy 40mph, just like it always did. If you guys really think airflow from that little fan is greater than airflow from going down the road at 25+ with no plastics I suppose I won't convince you otherwise. Either way, the bike runs great, it has never seized (as some of the experts here assured me would happen immediately) and don't see any reason to believe that it won't continue to run just fine indefinitely. I don't have the shroud to put back on anyway, my buddy tossed it.

My purpose in updating this thread was simply to inform people that running without a shroud* does not equal instant death by heat seize. YMMV and all that jazz, there's no reason outside of aesthetics to ditch the shroud so if you're worried about it keep it on.

*this discussion assumes you have stripped your scooter of all the plastics. do not attempt this with the side plastics on under any circumstances. I wouldn't even attempt it with the front plastics on.
And just how many are willing to run without plastics? I will bet the number is less than 10%. Also assuming that everyone will understand the requirement to remove the plastics is a major NO-NO. Because all they will see is the cooling fan and shrouds are not necessary and remove same, reinstall their plastics and ruin their motor. Besides that the difference in top speed will be less than 1 mph with the fan and shroud removed. * just change the tire size and get than much and it is safer on the motor.
Bear 45/70

'83 Aero 80 X 3
'84 Aero 80 X 3

'85 Aero 80
'84 Aero 125 X 2
'84 Aero 125
'84 Aero 125 X 2
'85 Aero 50
'85 Spree
Trafficjamz
CBR1000RR
CBR1000RR

Post by Trafficjamz »

Has anyone with a CHT or EGT gauge ever took of the engine shroud and measured the difference?
new best 1/8th mile time 9.647 seconds @67.155 mph 310lbs total weight
Kemmer
Goped
Goped

Post by Kemmer »

Bear45-70 wrote:
Kemmer wrote:It's an Aero 50, not a spree. It still does an easy 40mph, just like it always did. If you guys really think airflow from that little fan is greater than airflow from going down the road at 25+ with no plastics I suppose I won't convince you otherwise. Either way, the bike runs great, it has never seized (as some of the experts here assured me would happen immediately) and don't see any reason to believe that it won't continue to run just fine indefinitely. I don't have the shroud to put back on anyway, my buddy tossed it.

And just how many are willing to run without plastics? I will bet the number is less than 10%. Also assuming that everyone will understand the requirement to remove the plastics is a major NO-NO. Because all they will see is the cooling fan and shrouds are not necessary and remove same, reinstall their plastics and ruin their motor. Besides that the difference in top speed will be less than 1 mph with the fan and shroud removed. * just change the tire size and get than much and it is safer on the motor.
I am running without plastics because most of them were damaged or missing. I don't think there is any kind of performance gain at all. I am not advocating that anyone do this. I'm just reporting back that in my particular case, running without the plastics made it possible to remove the shroud without immediate engine failure.
Trafficjamz wrote:Has anyone with a CHT or EGT gauge ever took of the engine shroud and measured the difference?
I have one of these on my moped: http://www.treatland.tv/trail-tech-vapo ... mputer.htm If someone has readings from a Stock Aero 50 with plastics, fan and shroud it would be fairly easy for me to put it on the Aero and compare.
eliteguy50
CBR1000RR
CBR1000RR

Post by eliteguy50 »

Bear45-70 wrote:And just how many are willing to run without plastics? I will bet the number is less than 10%. Also assuming that everyone will understand the requirement to remove the plastics is a major NO-NO. Because all they will see is the cooling fan and shrouds are not necessary and remove same, reinstall their plastics and ruin their motor. Besides that the difference in top speed will be less than 1 mph with the fan and shroud removed. * just change the tire size and get than much and it is safer on the motor.
If the shroud is gone, might as well pull the fan too. If you want to see the fan, cut the intake fins on the shroud (warning: leaves and other debris can enter the cooling system when this is done, best avoided by replacing with a mesh screen).
motormike wrote:Errands become adventures.
Bear45-70
CBR1000RR
CBR1000RR

Post by Bear45-70 »

eliteguy50 wrote:
Bear45-70 wrote:And just how many are willing to run without plastics? I will bet the number is less than 10%. Also assuming that everyone will understand the requirement to remove the plastics is a major NO-NO. Because all they will see is the cooling fan and shrouds are not necessary and remove same, reinstall their plastics and ruin their motor. Besides that the difference in top speed will be less than 1 mph with the fan and shroud removed. * just change the tire size and get than much and it is safer on the motor.
If the shroud is gone, might as well pull the fan too. If you want to see the fan, cut the intake fins on the shroud (warning: leaves and other debris can enter the cooling system when this is done, best avoided by replacing with a mesh screen).

Cutting the fins out of the shroud intake will degrade air flow thereby degrading cooling.
Bear 45/70

'83 Aero 80 X 3
'84 Aero 80 X 3

'85 Aero 80
'84 Aero 125 X 2
'84 Aero 125
'84 Aero 125 X 2
'85 Aero 50
'85 Spree
eliteguy50
CBR1000RR
CBR1000RR

Post by eliteguy50 »

Bear45-70 wrote:
eliteguy50 wrote:

Cutting the fins out of the shroud intake will degrade air flow thereby degrading cooling.
But not to a level that would make it unreliable.
Bear45-70
CBR1000RR
CBR1000RR

Post by Bear45-70 »

eliteguy50 wrote:
Bear45-70 wrote:
eliteguy50 wrote: If the shroud is gone, might as well pull the fan too. If you want to see the fan, cut the intake fins on the shroud (warning: leaves and other debris can enter the cooling system when this is done, best avoided by replacing with a mesh screen).

Can't say that for sure, with a BBK producing more heat than stock, you are already taxing the cooling system beyond design, so any degrading of the cooling system is NOT a good idea. In fact degrading the cooling system at any time is asking for trouble and is a bad idea.
Bear 45/70

'83 Aero 80 X 3
'84 Aero 80 X 3

'85 Aero 80
'84 Aero 125 X 2
'84 Aero 125
'84 Aero 125 X 2
'85 Aero 50
'85 Spree
eliteguy50
CBR1000RR
CBR1000RR

Post by eliteguy50 »

Bear45-70 wrote:
eliteguy50 wrote:
Bear45-70 wrote:Cutting the fins out of the shroud intake will degrade air flow thereby degrading cooling.

Can't say that for sure, with a BBK producing more heat than stock, you are already taxing the cooling system beyond design, so any degrading of the cooling system is NOT a good idea. In fact degrading the cooling system at any time is asking for trouble and is a bad idea.
I did not realize he was running a bore kit on the aero. I have done this with a stock Aero engine for several hundred miles with no issues.
evilone
Board Supporter
Board Supporter

Post by evilone »

I ran my 69.8mph Malossi 72cc with cooling fins cut out and temps maxed around 350 and never any over-heating issues.
I'm not recommending it and i will leave the fins intact in the future but i can say i've been there done that without a problem.
2001 Honda Elite
1995 Yamaha Jog
1994 Yamaha Axis

I can't believe
that cop put me
in the backseat
when I clearly
called shotgun.
eliteguy50
CBR1000RR
CBR1000RR

Post by eliteguy50 »

evilone wrote:I ran my 69.8mph Malossi 72cc with cooling fins cut out and temps maxed around 350 and never any over-heating issues.
I'm not recommending it and i will leave the fins intact in the future but i can say i've been there done that without a problem.
X2, I only did it because some kid's folks were not watching him while tailgating and my aero ate the head of his golf club :evil: I had to cut out the left over fin parts.
killerpancake
Spree
Spree

Post by killerpancake »

will removing the fan shroud off the very top of the head(the one that looks like a cube) cause an engine to overheat, or is the main one over the fan enough?
If it don't fit, force it. If it breaks, it needed to be replaced anyway.

(Previous)
87 honda spree
85 honda spree

(Current)
88 yammy razz

(parts bike)
another 88 yammy razz
eliteguy50
CBR1000RR
CBR1000RR

Post by eliteguy50 »

killerpancake wrote:will removing the fan shroud off the very top of the head(the one that looks like a cube) cause an engine to overheat, or is the main one over the fan enough?
I would guess that one side would get hot but not enough to seize it. Might notice the heat soak sooner. Try it and let us know. :wink:
Bear45-70
CBR1000RR
CBR1000RR

Post by Bear45-70 »

killerpancake wrote:will removing the fan shroud off the very top of the head(the one that looks like a cube) cause an engine to overheat, or is the main one over the fan enough?
This is like asking if you only need half of your radiator to cool your car. You NEED ALL OF IT IN PLACE.
Bear 45/70

'83 Aero 80 X 3
'84 Aero 80 X 3

'85 Aero 80
'84 Aero 125 X 2
'84 Aero 125
'84 Aero 125 X 2
'85 Aero 50
'85 Spree