I just got my 1st Honda elite (99)

The place to discuss rides, accessories, or whatever is tangentially Spree/Elite-related

Moderator: Moderator

rushu
BMX
BMX

I just got my 1st Honda elite (99)

Post by rushu »

Hello,

I just got a used Honda Elite (99) and Im interested in restoring it / making it faster. I got it for $400 but it needs some tlc for sure. Here's what I have done so far

Day 1:

1. It was missing battery cover (center plastic). I replaced with a ok used one
2. It didnt have kickstand - replaced with a used one
3. It was missing belt cover metal plate (back half) replaced with a used one - but I can see keeping it open is a look people like.

I should note from falling over (no center kickstand before I bought it) it has allot of scrapes and dings in plastic. what should I do first? it has several problems like low idel (I have to give it gas at a stop light). Electric start "wants to start it" but doesnt. When I kick start it starts but you need to give it gas at same time.

Feelings?

PS. I know this thing is a tad on the ugy side but I heard that you can do great things even with a beat up elite. I hope I can make something of this scooter.

Mystic
CB900F
CB900F

Re: I just got my 1st Honda elite (99)

Post by Mystic »

it doesnt look bad :D you will want to download the manual in the documents section and familiarize yourself with it. I imagine the idle problem is due to dirty carberator :D
1986 Spree/ Eve af16 swapped 65cc Prodigy vari 8g 9:1 Ruima gears
21mm OKO 42/100 32:1 45mph kymco zx exhaust
1994 Elite S 17.5mm Arreche, Daytona reeds, SEF ramp, pump plugged :D
1987 Elite SE50 af16 swapped
1989 Elite E SB50p
2003 Yamaha Zuma
rushu
BMX
BMX

Post by rushu »

it looks like a previosu owned may of done some mods on it. It has a larger tubless rear tire and a K&N air filter. For some odd reason they removed the oil pan so i was told I would need to pur some oil in the gas when I fill it up.

Ok so basics:

Breaks: working but alittle loose
Power start: It tries but fails to start
Kick start: works great as long as you give it some gass when you kick
Idel at stops: it will stall if you dont give it a little gas at a redlight
speed: feels pretty fast
Spedometer: doesnt work
Body parts: missing left/right lower plastic
lights: Fine but rear right reflector broke from falling over too many times (before I put kickstand on)

Ok if you have any questions please just let me know, thanks in advance for any advice or help.
rushu
BMX
BMX

Post by rushu »

Mystic wrote:it doesnt look bad :D you will want to download the manual in the documents section and familiarize yourself with it. I imagine the idle problem is due to dirty carberator :D

I had a friend look at the adjustments, he said the one (lower I believe) had to "be closed all the way" for it to run. I dont know if thats a clue to issues.
Mystic
CB900F
CB900F

Post by Mystic »

you do know this is a 2 stroke engine? :D if you dont mix oil in the gas at a certain ratio it will ruin it. take some pics of the engine so we can have a good look. How do they have the oil pump hole filled in? or did they just remove the tank and left the oil pump on? also was the carb upjetted when they added the air filter?
1989 Elite E SB50p
2003 Yamaha Zuma
Mystic
CB900F
CB900F

Post by Mystic »

the air/fuel mixture screw, the bottom one should be around 1 1/4th turns out. turned all the way in to run would mean the pilot is lean (too small) which cant be right unless there is a problem somewhere

--you should definately clean the carb and make sure the pilot jet is clear, the pilot affects idle
I am no expert by any means but this is always a good place to start. is this your first scooter?
1989 Elite E SB50p
2003 Yamaha Zuma
rushu
BMX
BMX

Post by rushu »

Mystic wrote:you do know this is a 2 stroke engine? :D if you dont mix oil in the gas at a certain ratio it will ruin it. take some pics of the engine so we can have a good look. How do they have the oil pump hole filled in? or did they just remove the tank and left the oil pump on? also was the carb upjetted when they added the air filter?

Its 2 stroke, they removed the oil tank completly for some odd reason. Sorry Im really new at this... upjeted? Im not sure what to look for
Mystic
CB900F
CB900F

Post by Mystic »

with the air filter change the engine breathes in more air so you have to have more gas to compensate meaning a slightly larger main jet. stock main on an unrestricted sa50 is #78 is this an sa50 or sa50p? will show on the VIN plate
1989 Elite E SB50p
2003 Yamaha Zuma
rushu
BMX
BMX

Post by rushu »

I guy who was looking at it for me said its unrestricted. I dont think mine is "P"
wiguy05
Elite
Elite

Post by wiguy05 »

You really paid $400 for that? :crazy:
2006 Sachs Madass
- FTP 140cc Kit
- Stock 125cc undertail exhaust

2006 Xkeleton Trickster
- Lifan 90cc auto
mopro logan
Spree
Spree

Post by mopro logan »

Sounds and looks good to me. I would clean the carb though then see if it will stay running.
rushu
BMX
BMX

Post by rushu »

$400 yes, where I live (little tourist island) about any running scooter goes for $400 but I had been looking for a elite for $400 so I bought it real fast. I would be sold soon if not.
rushu
BMX
BMX

Post by rushu »

mopro logan wrote:Sounds and looks good to me. I would clean the carb though then see if it will stay running.

Would it be better to just replace the carb? Any good walkthrough on cleaning it?
mopro logan
Spree
Spree

Post by mopro logan »

rushu wrote:
mopro logan wrote:Sounds and looks good to me. I would clean the carb though then see if it will stay running.

Would it be better to just replace the carb? Any good walkthrough on cleaning it?
Well the only way I would replace it is with after market. Other then that I would just clean it.

http://hondaspree.net/wiki/index.php5?t ... r_Cleaning
or
http://hondaspree.net/wiki/index.php5?t ... ture_Guide

These should help I think. :thumbsup:
bonesv

Post by bonesv »

Welcome fellow scooterist! (That's "scooter-enthusiast"). Read your post. Have to agree with Mystic that it sounds like more air than fuel. Stock carb was meant to be used with stock air box. The keihin pa35j carburetor has a non-adjustable pilot jet installed that works with the "ugly" stock air box. A larger main jet may be used to compensate for an aftermarket exhaust pipe or internal mods to the engine, but if the motor is stock you won't really need the "up-jet". As far as the oil pump and premixing goes, you will have to make a choice, either one you will want to deal with the oil pump issue. I have heard on these forums that it's not good to run it closed, the other question is does it even work? You need to be sure, or Disaster. If the motor is stock,I would put an oil resivoir on it and check the pump to be sure it works, then get familiar with your new scooter. I've seen on here that some get ahead of themselves and end up costing them more than they planned. :crazy: Keep posting results and you will learn everything about these 50cc machines. V DUDE :thumbwink:
Honda Elite SR
Honda Elite-Dio ZX

Dio ZX Headlight/Disc Brake Mod: http://hondaspree.net/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?t=30861