I just got my 1st Honda elite (99)

The place to discuss rides, accessories, or whatever is tangentially Spree/Elite-related

Moderator: Moderator

bonesv

Re: I just got my 1st Honda elite (99)

Post by bonesv »

Double check the bystarter for proper function. I took a carb. apart once and the bystarter valve was missing, no wonder it didn't work! Also try a compression check. Low compression will also cause it to stall out. Make friends with a mechanic. :idea: Best of luck to ya. V DUDE
Honda Elite SR
Honda Elite-Dio ZX

Dio ZX Headlight/Disc Brake Mod: http://hondaspree.net/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?t=30861
rushu
BMX
BMX

Post by rushu »

Hello,

I plan to work on it some this weekend (with help) so I may have more answers soon. I will also take some photos to show you all some of the odd things about the engine oil pump situation.

Here's my goals in order

1. Get it to idel better / not need gas at a stop
2. Have power start work (even though I will prob kick start allot of othe time)

-not as important to function but things I want to do all the same

A. Put used side plastic on
B. Perhaps get speedomter working

Thanks again for your help here :D
rushu
BMX
BMX

Post by rushu »

Today I got some help working on the elite, here some of the things we noticed.

First, the engine bolts seem to be pop'ing out real bad. I could be a few speed bumps or turns away from a problem

Next, In a effort to get it to start with electric starter and idel better we put on a stock airbox as a test. It didnt solve the problem but was good trouble shooting all the same. I'm going to leave on the stock air box for the time being but may switch it back. You cant see it in this photo well but the k&N filter had part of a buglight box jam'ed up in it to help reduce air.

The carb seems to be a after market one. its needs to stay 'closed' to run well. Thats why the oil pan is missing, Here's a photo of mine and a normal one to compare

One of the past owners dremeled out the carb pipe - interesting

The carb cleaned up real well, I think its running better even though it wont start with electric start.

We added the lower plastics but my old ones had a hard time snapping/screwing in place due to age and wear on both old and new (new used) parts. But thats ok a few twist ties will keep it together for now.

So that leaves me with what to do next time.... I'm thinking those engine bolts will have to be changed soon so that will prob be the next step by need not choice. I could switch the carb but who knows what else is done to the engine. I want to to run fast as it can so a stock carb may be counter productive... you think? I could buy a proformance carb..... but perhaps that may lead to other isues.

I don't really have the money for a complete engine swap atm so I kinda need to make the most of what I have (past owner mods for better or worse). My goals are

1. Speed
2. Runs good (electric start - idel etc etc)
3. looks respectible (needs work for that too - may just spray paint back as a temp fix).

Feelings on what should be done next or where I can get the best bang for the buck?
Last edited by rushu on Sat Sep 24, 2011 7:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Mystic
CB900F
CB900F

Post by Mystic »

no need to swap engines you have a good engine there just needs a good polish :D you should check the compression, could be why it doesnt crank with the electric start or idle well. low compression can cause this issue
1986 Spree/ Eve af16 swapped 65cc Prodigy vari 8g 9:1 Ruima gears
21mm OKO 42/100 32:1 45mph kymco zx exhaust
1994 Elite S 17.5mm Arreche, Daytona reeds, SEF ramp, pump plugged :D
1987 Elite SE50 af16 swapped
1989 Elite E SB50p
2003 Yamaha Zuma
rushu
BMX
BMX

Post by rushu »

Mystic wrote:no need to swap engines you have a good engine there just needs a good polish :D you should check the compression, could be why it doesnt crank with the electric start or idle well. low compression can cause this issue

Yegh a compression test was almost done but time started running short, next time I will and post results here.
Mystic
CB900F
CB900F

Post by Mystic »

I would take the motor completely off the scoot and give it a good cleaning and inspection but that is just me :D
1989 Elite E SB50p
2003 Yamaha Zuma
rushu
BMX
BMX

Post by rushu »

Mystic wrote:I would take the motor completely off the scoot and give it a good cleaning and inspection but that is just me :D

Any suggestions where to get those engine bolts?
Mystic
CB900F
CB900F

Post by Mystic »

those are just rubber coated bushings any online parts supplier should have them

http://www.powersportsplus.com/parts/se ... parts.html

you may be able to unbolt the motor from the mount and tap them back in maybe put some kinda goop on them to keep them from vibrating back out but not sure not knowing why they are coming out like that might be better to get new ones <shrugs> maybe someone else can input on this
1989 Elite E SB50p
2003 Yamaha Zuma
bonesv

Post by bonesv »

Hey rushu, good job on the work done. Looks like a challenge to get this straight. Good to have help with it too. Nice pics, sorry, can't advise to try and save those motor mounts, just replace 'em, I think Babbitts online has 'em for 6.85 each, plus freight. You'll have to carefully use a hacksaw blade to cut 'em out. Then use appropriate bolt and nut with large washers to carefully install them.Tricky but do'able. Will save the $80 bucks that the shop charges. Like I said, a challenge. Maybe that intake isn't sealed up or has lost it's seal at the mounting o-ring to the carb? Compression check asap. Did you pull the plug? What # is it? Was the bystarter working or couldn't you check it? How about the main jet? Size? I just want to give you stuff to do, huh. LMK GL V Dude
Honda Elite SR
Honda Elite-Dio ZX

Dio ZX Headlight/Disc Brake Mod: http://hondaspree.net/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?t=30861
rushu
BMX
BMX

Post by rushu »

Little update

Lastnight late (well this morning) my scooter wouldnt start but with the new knowledge I gained I knew there was no need to stress. I waited till morning and adjusted the carb and it was working great again.

I still need to order those engine bolts

is this it?

Part 4 or 14? I think im looking at wrong thing

IN other good news it will idel fine now at stop light and not die.... I'm not sure if it was the air filter change or cleaning the carb but its getting better and better!
bonesv

Post by bonesv »

It's #2 on the crankcase page. Make sure you look under your year, sa50. Order 2 of them. part # 11102-GW0 003 (Bush, Eng. Hgr. Rub.).
Honda Elite SR
Honda Elite-Dio ZX

Mystic
CB900F
CB900F

Post by Mystic »

I bet seashells and sand got in there :D glad to know it is running good and idling
1989 Elite E SB50p
2003 Yamaha Zuma
rushu
BMX
BMX

Post by rushu »

bonesv wrote:It's #2 on the crankcase page. Make sure you look under your year, sa50. Order 2 of them. part # 11102-GW0 003 (Bush, Eng. Hgr. Rub.).

Thanks got it ordered.
rushu
BMX
BMX

Post by rushu »

Mystic wrote:I bet seashells and sand got in there :D glad to know it is running good and idling

LOL yegh, who knows when the last owner gave this poor elite some tlc. Between local support, This forum and me I think this little honda will have a bit of a second life.
bonesv

Post by bonesv »

Hope.jpg
Hope.jpg (101.25 KiB) Viewed 4918 times
:D
Honda Elite SR
Honda Elite-Dio ZX