Why no aftermarket Spree exhaust?

The place to discuss rides, accessories, or whatever is tangentially Spree/Elite-related

Moderator: Moderator

wilit
Goped
Goped

Why no aftermarket Spree exhaust?

Post by wilit »

How come no one has made a bolt on exhaust for the Spree yet? I was reading through some of the post archives and saw Taz was working on one, but haven't seen anything yet. It seems like there would be a decent market for it since no one makes them for the Spree. Just curious.

Until then, I've decided to try and make my own pipe. Anyone got a link so I can read up on how to size this thing correctly?
bradthreee
Board Supporter
Board Supporter

Re: Why no aftermarket Spree exhaust?

Post by bradthreee »

:imo:

I'm pretty sure 2 things hinder the making of these pipes.

1. They aren't cheap to make and we all know that most Spree owners don't want to spend a couple $$$ hundred on a pipe,

2. And for those who do want to spend the money, why waste it on the unvariated Spree motor just to achieve 40-45mph? They would rather start with a better motor then upgrade from there...
tazland001
Board Supporter
Board Supporter

Post by tazland001 »

I am still working on a performance muffler for the spree. It is in the testing phase right now. The muffler will cost 125$.

Why waste it huh brad. Thanks homie.

But the truth of the matter is not everyone needs or wants to go 45+ on there spree. Most people just want some added acceleration and a little more top end. Thats where I come in. Not everyone wants to do the so called dio engine swap. An engine swap requires to find a so called dio engine and then fab a motor mount and a shock mount. Brad I hate to break this to you but some people can barely put on a cylinder kit or even tune a scooter let alone do all the work required to transplant an engine. Even a dio engine will need upgrades after the transplant to hit 40+. Most of the dio engines stock will do about 35-40mph.
I know a spree engine will never match up to a dio engine but like I said prior not everyone wants to do the transplant.

When I first joined this site there was nothing but a washer mod and porting to get your spree faster. Now we have more parts for the spree and all I hear on this site now is "do a dio swap". I could swear this site is called "hondaspree.net not hondadioswap.net. lol

After I upgraded my spree from six I went from 24mph to a consistent 37mph on the flat.Down hill it buries the speedo. Actually with introduction of the 21mm carb kit it allmost feels like the spree has a variater. The accleration is improved big time. Just ask six.

Also its not like I dont like the dio engine. I have an actual dio(AF18) and two tact(AF16) with real dio engines on them. I am just trying to point out the obvious. :jack:

Taz

Taz
wilit
Goped
Goped

Post by wilit »

That's exactly my thoughts Taz. I don't want to do an engine swap because honestly if I wanted to go 45+ on a scooter, it wouldn't be on a Spree. I'm just looking to get enough speed out of it so I can ride it from my remote neighborhood into town without getting run over. All I need to accomplish that is 35mph which I think is attainable without dumping $500+ into this Spree I paid $50 for.

If you need someone with a bone stock spree to help out on testing, i'm more than willing.
bradthreee
Board Supporter
Board Supporter

Post by bradthreee »

Where I live, safe speeds are not 37mph on the flats. It just seems more sensible to get a motor that can get you to safer speeds with just the variator.

I think it's great that Taz caters to the Spree enthusiest. High Five for you.

Ill continue to beleive that the Spree motor will always be a waste of money fixing it up. It's pretty much for going to the neighborhood liquor store or mail box.

Not many people will dump $500 into their Spree Wilt, kudos to you. I expect that to be about what it'll cost to "bury the speedo on the downhill"...

And the saying around here even before you came along Taz was and continues to be "Dude, swap in a Dio" :thumbwink:
tazland001
Board Supporter
Board Supporter

Post by tazland001 »

The sa50(94-2001)/dio engine only goes about 35 stock with the restricters removed. Then you have to do the upgrade from there. The only people who spend $500+ are people who swap in a dio engine. And the $500+ is on top of the purchase price of the spree.

Taz
Trafficjamz
CBR1000RR
CBR1000RR

Post by Trafficjamz »

wilit wrote:That's exactly my thoughts Taz. I don't want to do an engine swap because honestly if I wanted to go 45+ on a scooter, it wouldn't be on a Spree. I'm just looking to get enough speed out of it so I can ride it from my remote neighborhood into town without getting run over. All I need to accomplish that is 35mph which I think is attainable without dumping $500+ into this Spree I paid $50 for.

35mph on a spree is not the same as a 35 spree/dio swap.

The acceleration of the dio swap is waaaaay better. :smile:

Dio swaps in to sprees are not always about achieving a huge top speed.
new best 1/8th mile time 9.647 seconds @67.155 mph 310lbs total weight
Trafficjamz
CBR1000RR
CBR1000RR

Post by Trafficjamz »

wilit wrote:How come no one has made a bolt on exhaust for the Spree yet?
Noiseguy made a batch of these back in 2007.

new best 1/8th mile time 9.647 seconds @67.155 mph 310lbs total weight
bradthreee
Board Supporter
Board Supporter

Post by bradthreee »

tazland001 wrote:The sa50(94-2001)/dio engine only goes about 35 stock with the restricters removed. Then you have to do the upgrade from there. The only people who spend $500+ are people who swap in a dio engine. And the $500+ is on top of the purchase price of the spree.

Taz
If a Spree owner were to get all of the parts you offer, to be able to acheive the kind of speeds you're getting might be close to the $500 range. I'm not knocking your prices Taz, they are very affordable IMO.

But say you were to find and 94+ Elite engine for around $300, spend another $60 on a variator, remove the restrictions, you should be close to the 45mph range with proper trans tuning.
The added acceleration would also be a huge bonus.

* even find a variated AF05E for cheaper, that would be a huge difference from the Spree engine.

But then again as you mentioned earlier Taz, if someone wasn't mechanically inclined to swap a motor a great option would be to purchase some of your parts. But take into account if your expectations are high, you will be disappointed...
wilit
Goped
Goped

Post by wilit »

Trafficjamz wrote:
wilit wrote:How come no one has made a bolt on exhaust for the Spree yet?
Noiseguy made a batch of these back in 2007.

Actually, I just ordered an expansion pipe from a 47cc Cag pocket bike ($15) and have a spare Spree muffler to use the head pipe from. So I'm going to try and fab up something like Noiseguy made.
bradthreee
Board Supporter
Board Supporter

Post by bradthreee »

Take caution Wilt, you might end up losing some power with what you are about to do. There is a science behind expansion chamber pipes, not just welding something cool looking together.

Good Luck!
wilit
Goped
Goped

Post by wilit »

I'm fully aware that i'll probably spend more time swearing at the thing than actually riding faster than it was stock. :) If it works, cool, if not then it will be a great learning experience.
tazland001
Board Supporter
Board Supporter

Post by tazland001 »

I would have to disagree. The addition of the 21 carb kit helps the acceleration like night and day with the 48mm BBK. This combo is great and slaps right into the power band. This combo turns the spree into a mule. Climbs hills and accelerates like night and day compared to stock.

On that same token a fully moded spree engine will still never compare to a fully moded dio engine. Comparing the 2 is silly. lol

Brad I know your not knocking me or my parts just figured I would chime in on this thread.

Jamz you would even make the Hawaiians proud. Eveyone listens to you when you talk. hehe

Here is a pic of the spree performance muffler. My 3rd sample.

Taz
Bignatertot
Noob
Noob

Post by Bignatertot »

Are you planning on a 4th sample?