noob question

The place to discuss rides, accessories, or whatever is tangentially Spree/Elite-related

Moderator: Moderator

KACHOWkeith
BMX
BMX

noob question

Post by KACHOWkeith »

so I'm thinking about getting a 86 spree for the friends to ride with me... But I'm also probably going to do an engine swap on it since the one on it is shot. Anyone ever do a honda met or ruckus engine into it? I know they are faster and probably more reliable than stock spree and I .also already have a 2 stroke going and I want to have a 4 stroke too. I know the stock spree engine is bottom mounted and I know you guys do engine swaps with elites and dios so how do you guys handle a top mounted engine?. What about title, I don't think I have ever seen a spree with a title, were these issued titles from dealer?
eliteguy50
CBR1000RR
CBR1000RR

Re: noob question

Post by eliteguy50 »

The dealers had a certificate of origin. Whether it was turned into a title or not depens on the state. Cali should have-not title while Alabama does not. It has been done. You have to make custom mounts. The plastics need modified to clear the almost twice as long ruck engine.
motormike wrote:Errands become adventures.
KACHOWkeith
BMX
BMX

Post by KACHOWkeith »

kinda figured on custom mounts, just wasn't sure if there are any pointers for making one.

my plan is to put the met engine in and lower it and see how I like it. Then if I want I will do a ruckus swingarm conversion to make it longer and put a bigger rim and tire on it.
eliteguy50
CBR1000RR
CBR1000RR

Post by eliteguy50 »

I have not done this swap but if I did, I would triangulate a pivot point from the stock mount location and from somewhere under the ss a wider baat. I read in other builds that the number one mount regret was too much lateral flex. So maybe welding a tube to the frams a wider platform for your dropdowns and them cross bracing them. Either way, top mounts just allow more leverage for lateral flex. Gussets on the frame would be good too.
KACHOWkeith
BMX
BMX

Post by KACHOWkeith »

just got it today for $20 :smile:
not running but its okay..

there any fork upgrades? Maybe from a met or something?

I was thinking met engine since it wouldn't look as stretched to keep it short and low like this one

but after seeing the ruckus engine I'm thinking long and low
eliteguy50
CBR1000RR
CBR1000RR

Post by eliteguy50 »

Neither the ruck nor met engines will keep it short. You are replacing a vert with a horizontal engine. If you use a variated vert,
Carnie
Elite
Elite

noob question

Post by Carnie »

If you are swapping in a net or ruck, I would want to stretch it out anyway, especially if you plan on soon performance upgrades, to increase stability.
1987 Spree
1994 Elite SR
eliteguy50
CBR1000RR
CBR1000RR

Post by eliteguy50 »

The GET engine and its after market don't produce enough torque to worry about wheelies.
Carnie
Elite
Elite

noob question

Post by Carnie »

eliteguy50 wrote:The GET engine and its after market don't produce enough torque to worry about wheelies.
I was just referring to it's short wheel base in the aspect of cornering. They can be a little sketchy at higher rates of speed.
1987 Spree
1994 Elite SR
KACHOWkeith
BMX
BMX

Post by KACHOWkeith »

the met engine would make it a few inches shorter, and with the wheel being smaller it might actually fit in the plastics

and sketchyness at higher speeds is why I was asking about other front ends that will fit on the spree
eliteguy50
CBR1000RR
CBR1000RR

Post by eliteguy50 »

? Are we talking about the same swap? The 90/90-10 met on a 2.15-10 rim is bigger than the 2.5-10 tire on the 1.5-10 spree rim. The spree engine is short. I don't see how the longer met unit will be a shorter wheelbase unless you are cutting the monotube.
KACHOWkeith
BMX
BMX

Post by KACHOWkeith »

I never said it was shorter than spree. It would be shorter than the ruckus engine mounted posted above
eliteguy50
CBR1000RR
CBR1000RR

Post by eliteguy50 »

I guess this is what they mean by "don't assume, it just ...
KACHOWkeith
BMX
BMX

Post by KACHOWkeith »

yeah I should have been more specific. But I'm definately going to do the ruckus engine and maybe add a fat tire