New info on ethanol as a fuel.

The place to discuss rides, accessories, or whatever is tangentially Spree/Elite-related

Moderator: Moderator

OneBulletDan
Elite
Elite

Re: New info on ethanol as a fuel.

Post by OneBulletDan »

Bear45-70 wrote:
OneBulletDan wrote:I agree with all of the above, but the corn used for ethanol production is also recycled into livestock feed, so it doesn`t go to waste. Sweet horse feed, for one, is made from dried distiller`s grain.
Regardless, it is another government boondoggle on the American public.
Seems like that`s all the government is capable of now a days.
We can learn much from wise words, and less from wise guys.
LawrHolland
Noob
Noob

Post by LawrHolland »

geezer101 wrote:
Bear45-70 wrote:
OneBulletDan wrote:I agree with all of the above, but the corn used for ethanol production is also recycled into livestock feed, so it doesn`t go to waste. Sweet horse feed, for one, is made from dried distiller`s grain.
Regardless, it is another government boondoggle on the American public.
It's now global Bear, we're being told to buy the lie. And it goes for all the 'green' alternatives - solar panels (evil to make, non-recyclable), hybrid cars (battery packs are an environmental disaster). I could go on forever... Just buy a scooter and save the world! :woot:
We need to make renewable sources of energy for saving nature.. It is simple and we don't need anything else
Last edited by LawrHolland on Mon Dec 02, 2013 12:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
motormike

Post by motormike »

holy thread revival, batman... :evil:
RideRed
<Gyro S><MB5><Honda Navi><Helix><Sym Wolf><Yamaha Razz><Honda CH150 Deluxe>
"Live Large - Ride Small"
87spree70superbee
Spree
Spree

Post by 87spree70superbee »

I absolutely HATE ethanol. Here in Chicago, or at least at the gas stations near where I live, even the 93 octane contains ethanol. Ever since they started putting it in the gas, my Spree hasn't run near the same. I've lost 5 mph off my top speed, and it's difficult to start. Usually needs a prime to start every time I let it sit for a week. First thing I did was a new plug/filter. I have checked absolutely everything... The carb sat in a vat of carb cleaner for two weeks, I've de-carbonized the muffler, piston, and exhaust port. Everything I can think of that I've seen was a problem before... New CDI (was the solution to a previous timing issue) and new coil, ridiculous. I'm pretty sure it's the ethanol, because I mixed 80% 93 octane with 20% 112 octane and it ran like a beauty. (I only did that to see if it would help, and also only put in 1/4 tank of that mix)

Next time I take a trip to WI, I'm bringing back a 5 gallon jug of ethanol free 93 octane. I'll see if that does anything.

And there's my problems with ethanol. Sorry this got kinda long.
Black 85 Spree-SOLD

Red 87 Spree... Ended up buying the same one mentioned below.

I started riding my uncle's 87 Spree at the drag strip when I was 8...

It's easier to stop caring three years ago than it is to fix it in present time.
LMH
Board Supporter
Board Supporter

Post by LMH »

I believe Indiana has ethanol free 93. I find it hard to find 93 octane west of mo, I hate driving my Audi a6 on trips west. Recently bought a '13 yota Prius and loving the 50 mpg around town and 50+ on the highway. :geekdance:
Hard starts are sometimes from reeds not seating properly. If you replaced all the rest I'd check those little buggers.
devenex
Elite
Elite

Post by devenex »

Wow, blast from the past thread. Still stand by everything negative I said before about ethanol before, but there is some hope for renewable liquid fuels:
http://arstechnica.com/science/2013/12/ ... comes-out/

While the whole ethanol thing isn't helping, the fact is that petroleum products are currently a non-renewable material/energy source and something should be done.

As for the bashing of solar panels, those actually net energy over their lifetimes (20+ yrs) but require a large area for any significant generation capacity and of course only work when the sun is shining.
1986 Spree w/ '87 SE50 motor
1985 Aero 50 w/ Dio motor: On Hold
maddog
CB900F
CB900F

Post by maddog »

if you want to know everything about ethenol go to www.georgenitta.com/radio.htm and if you have the gutz to call him well i need a good laugh cuz he will put you in your place :smile:
some people dream of speed, i own your dreams!