Three strikes, and out.

The place to discuss rides, accessories, or whatever is tangentially Spree/Elite-related

Moderator: Moderator

OneBulletDan
Elite
Elite

Three strikes, and out.

Post by OneBulletDan »

I blew the chance at three different scooters last week. :twisted:

The first one was a `04 Metropolitan for $200. I`ve already got three, but the price was great, and I figured I could fix it up and sell it off to put some extra change in my scooter fund. The deal sounded a bit hokey. Guy claimed he`d bought it at a yard sale last year without a registration or keys. No keys means a busted ignition and gas cap, which is no big yank, but when he said it should be used for around the farm/up north, I got the funny feeling it was stolen. I don`t buy anything hot. I figure if you buy a stolen scooter, you can`t gripe when yours gets stolen. I passed.

The second one kinda hurt a bit. It was a `85 aero, had a mallosi pipe on it, plastics were a bit rough, terrible paint job, but came with a 63cc jug that was still in the box. Guy wanted $400 for it. Went in two days, before I could get to it. :cry:

Third one was the one I really wanted. `87 Elite SE50, didn`t look bad in the pics, running and stickered, for $550. Gone in two days. :twisted:

Oh, well. Ya snooze, ya lose. A wise old Indian always told me that everything happens for a reason, no matter how much it * you off.

I think I`ll save my bucks for fall and see just what comes up. Either that, or maybe Buddha will smile on me and toss a good deal on a Vespa or Lambretta my way......
We can learn much from wise words, and less from wise guys.
motormike

Re: Three strikes, and out.

Post by motormike »

Dan,...I've not ever ridden a Vespa, and those who do ride Vespa on my turf are stuck-up *-hats... :crazy: (for the most part)
I HAVE worked on Vespa, however, and I wouldn't trade my crappiest Honda for one. I don't even like taking a Vespa off the center-stand for fear that it will act quite tempermental and fall over because it's balance is so poorly distributed. I suppose that I might like a modern Vespa, but then I would have to spend enough money to get one that I could have bought seventeen Hondas instead. Please respond and tell me why you are drawn to such an un-appealing example of scooter, especially one designed by an Italian who was obviously distracted while making the final blueprints.
...my intention is NOT to offend, but give you opportunity to convince me of my need to reconsider the Vespa's worthiness... :hi: ...rock-on
RideRed
<(2)Gyro S><Helix><Sym Wolf>
"Live Large - Ride Small"
OneBulletDan
Elite
Elite

Post by OneBulletDan »

I guess beauty is truly in the eye of the beholder, but I find the older (and newer) Vespas, as well as the Lambrettas, absolutely beautiful. They have the classic lines of a thoroughbred, and have a look of luxury to them, to me anyways.

A lot of folks probably wouldn`t care for my choice in road bikes, either. I`ve been on the road since `76, and every mile I`ve ever ridden has been on a HD of some sort.

If everybody liked the same things I do, they`d be riding red Harleys, driving Chevy trucks, shooting Colt handguns, and chasing Mrs. Bullet around.

To my way of thinking, Honda scooters are like the Chevy Impala, Vespas are like Cadillacs, and Lambrettas are the Rolls Royce of scooters. Whether or not they`re any better or worse I`ll have to find out for myself.

Snobs never bothered me. When you have to look down your nose at somebody to make yourself look better, you`ve already lost the game. :P
motormike

Post by motormike »

....fair enough, Dan...you are right, we all see things in our own way. I did once own a '55 Allstate (Piagio), however briefly, and I did buy it because of the styling...Lambretta is quite beautiful also, especially those two-tone jobs with the single-wheel trailer... :2thumbs: ...The most fascinating scooter that has been overlooked until now (by me) is the CZ "Cezeta"...fellow club member has one of these circa '55-56 and has priced it to me, but I'm not looking to own it. Just drooling when I'm around it is satisfying. Must admit to having a healthy obsession with anything Cushman, but the $$ required to buy one has gone beyond my limits.... :crazy:
I'll not make any comments about HD except, "I rode one,...once"... :confused:
For the record, I ride Jap bikes, drive Ford trucks, shoot Daisy guns, and never need to "chase" any woman... :geekdance:
Snobs don't bother me either, I find them quite entertaining in an amusing sort of way... :bowrofl:
Rock-on Mr Bullet...this has been like sharing our diaries. Next event, pajama party !!!
RideRed
OneBulletDan
Elite
Elite

Post by OneBulletDan »

Let`s skip the PJ party and just drink a few beers around the bonfire, OK? :oops:
eliteguy50
CBR1000RR
CBR1000RR

Post by eliteguy50 »

Mike-
Is that the metal bodied French scooter that looks like a triceratops without the horns?
motormike wrote:Errands become adventures.
motormike

Post by motormike »

eliteguy50 wrote:Mike-
Is that the metal bodied French scooter that looks like a triceratops without the horns?
...here, let me google that for you...lol...CZ was Czechoslovakian and eventually sistered with Jawa...answer to your question is YES, Cezeta is very obnoxious looking dionsaur-like with the ugly being so strong, it's kinda cute.... :thumbwink:
RideRed
OneBulletDan
Elite
Elite

Post by OneBulletDan »

Mitsubishi made one called the Silver Pigeon that looks kinda like a Lambretta, too.

I saw a Triumph on CL a few weeks ago. Never knew Triumph made a scooter!
Carnie
Elite
Elite

Three strikes, and out.

Post by Carnie »

Mike, you might have to sell a family jewel to get that cz. Very few of them exist anymore. Especially here in the states.
1987 Spree
1994 Elite SR
eliteguy50
CBR1000RR
CBR1000RR

Post by eliteguy50 »

Missed out on a '97 S for $200 the other day.
motormike wrote:Errands become adventures.
motormike

Post by motormike »

This one did'nt get away...can't wait to do a number on it and add it to the "daily rider" stable... :thumbwink:
2,3xx mles, one owner, title, new tires, $400
Attachments
Aero 85  JUDY.jpg
Aero 85 JUDY.jpg (66.91 KiB) Viewed 5112 times
RideRed
OneBulletDan
Elite
Elite

Post by OneBulletDan »

Nice find! I, on the other hand, am still batting zero. Emailed a guy about a `87 Elite "spacey" that he had listed for $100. Plastics looked great, had 16K on it. Told him I`d take it and to email me the particulars. He emailed back with his phone number and told me to call if I still wanted it. Called him and he said that he`d already sold it and the guy would be picking it up Wednesday. Hope the other guy backs out so I can tell him to stuff the scooter up his *. :evil:
Bear45-70
CBR1000RR
CBR1000RR

Post by Bear45-70 »

OneBulletDan wrote:Nice find! I, on the other hand, am still batting zero. Emailed a guy about a `87 Elite "spacey" that he had listed for $100. Plastics looked great, had 16K on it. Told him I`d take it and to email me the particulars. He emailed back with his phone number and told me to call if I still wanted it. Called him and he said that he`d already sold it and the guy would be picking it up Wednesday. Hope the other guy backs out so I can tell him to stuff the scooter up his *. :evil:
I know how you feel. I told a guy recently that I would take the Aero 125. When I called to confirm he would be home so I could pick it up he had sold it to someone else. Then that Image turns around and want $200 more for it after breaking it( engine wont start anymore).
Bear 45/70

'83 Aero 80 X 3
'84 Aero 80 X 3

'85 Aero 80
'84 Aero 125 X 2
'84 Aero 125
'84 Aero 125 X 2
'85 Aero 50
'85 Spree
LMH
Board Supporter
Board Supporter

Post by LMH »

In Australia I have 2 Cz175 model 450s and a CZ350, all 1969s. Great motorcycles, I think theyre based off of a german design. Between me and the family we probably have 10 or so on the opal fields we own. Run KTMs, Huskys and CZs on them to get between the barrows. If you ever get a chance to buy one for cheap do it.
OneBulletDan
Elite
Elite

Post by OneBulletDan »

Bear, there just isn`t anything called honor anymore. I could see if I`d told the guy I`d meet him at a certain time and then didn`t show, but that wasn`t the case. I figured we had a commitment that I was ready and able to honor.

Oh, well. I am a firm believer in "everything happens for a reason". All manners of bad could have came out of the deal, and maybe I`m better off without it. I know my wallet is!

Maybe I`m trying too hard. Maybe that "dream" deal is out there and will make me happy I`ve been on a losing streak. Just hope I`m smart enough and quick enough to snag it when it comes.......