Usually a moped guy, just purchased an Aero 125

The place to discuss rides, accessories, or whatever is tangentially Spree/Elite-related

Moderator: Moderator

mikeosoft
BMX
BMX

Usually a moped guy, just purchased an Aero 125

Post by mikeosoft »

Hey guys,

First wanted to say hello and what an awesome community here. Coming from mopeds, it's alittle out of the norm to see 4t and 2t enthusiasts sharing the same forum and uniting under one common love; Honda scoots.

I've been looking for some mopeds lately on craigslist, and stumbled upon a "moped" for sale:

Made sure it had title, it has 3000 miles on it, guy told me he bought it from an old man who took good care of it. He said he bought it and cleaned the carb last winter and it sat. He started it and it idled for about a minute then died. If i gave it gas it would lean out and die. Something in me thinks either 1. the carb jet is clogged, or 2. the petcock is frozen or clogged and gas isn't getting to the bowl fast enough. Either way the bike also was missing a front brake cable that the man tried to find another one but said honda couldn't get him the part. I understand that these honda oem parts are no longer supported. So anyone know if an elite 150 cable will fit? the man told me it was 36in in length but I don't know who to trust....

I found this site that supposedly carries the cable but the part number is discontinued and replaced with a different part number which is in stock:
http://www.cheapcycleparts.com/model_ye ... s-switches

So the bike starts but dies upon giving it throttle, as a moped rider I have cleaned and fixed a ton of carbs in my life and know that this is most-likely a carb issue. First thing I am going to do is take off the carb and disassemble and clean it thoroughly. Identify what size jets are used and post back here. I will also clean out the air filter while i am down here and check the oil feed from the intake manifold.

Do i need to crimp the gas line or is the petcock auto shutoff when the bike is off?

I can't wait to ride this scooter, it is my first scooter, and I love ST:TNG themed stuff. This bike is right out of the next generation 1980's futuristic feel. Like the enterprise only a little slower.

Thanks for the membership,
Mike
zuphilius
Elite
Elite

Re: Usually a moped guy, just purchased an Aero 125

Post by zuphilius »

The Bear will be here shortly, he is the Aero guru. If everyone here from Washington went to his place he could supply us all with a ride.
The fuel is vacuum fed, no shut off.
Oh, and welcome, thanks for the pics!
I am a leaf on the wind. Watch how I soar.
mikeosoft
BMX
BMX

Post by mikeosoft »

oh ive been reading up on bear, man this bear guy knows his stuff. So many 125 aeros the man must control the going rate. Put 'em all up for sale at once and kill off any value... come on bear where are you?

Just kidding.

I have downloaded the repair manual and am absorbing as much as i can at the moment. There's so much detail here it's insane... This sure as heck isn't moped tech, it's true honda for sure.

I have the side panel off and man is this bike dirty underneath it all. I am about to pinch off the fuel line and remove it so i can get the carb detached and have a look. I'll post up some pictures of what i find before the carb clean and obviously after.

Thanks all

Edit also forgot to include the pics of the mirrors, i took them off to fit the bike in the car without damaging it.

mirrors, original front brake cable, broken by previous owner who told me he put it in a vice to pull it apart.... *? Glad he doesn't own the bike anymore so he can't break anything else.
Bear45-70
CBR1000RR
CBR1000RR

Post by Bear45-70 »

I spent the day running over to Yakima, the other side of the mountains, to pick up an Aero 80 and an Elite 80. Got home less than an hour ago.

First, check compression.

Second, clean the carb.

Yes, the petcock is off when the engine is not turning over. If there is fuel flow with the engine off the petcock is BAD.

Replace the fuel and vacuum lines, I prefer clear lines so you can see what is going on inside them.

The 125 is suppose to have an inline fuel filter between the petcock and the carb. 16910-GB2-900 is the part number.

The Aero 125 brake cables are No Longer Available, the parts break down shows that the scooter requires 1 cable, but the part is discontinued. I tried one off the Aero 80 but it is too short, you can only turn one way, but I ordered and received a cable last year. The rear brake cable is also NLA, but I bypassed that by installing an Aero 80 left hand switch assembly and found a brake cable long enough to reach the rear wheel and just removed the foot brake. Not a fan of the foot brake anyway.
Bear 45/70

'83 Aero 80 X 3
'84 Aero 80 X 3

'85 Aero 80
'84 Aero 125 X 2
'84 Aero 125
'84 Aero 125 X 2
'85 Aero 50
'85 Spree
motormike

Post by motormike »

Greetings and welcome mikeosoft.... :hi:
You will find me sometimes straddling the fence thats separates the moped/scooter worlds. Of course some parts of the world call everything mopeds. We won't let that be too confusing here.
I too have joined the Aero 125 owners club just less than a year ago. Being tempted now by an Aero80 that is on Craigs in a nearby town for $700 OBO. My only hesitation is room in the garage. One troublesome part to find is the drive belt. I am currently running one that is wrong in every specification, but is working good enough for the time being. My 28 year-old belt gave it up after a hard 75 miles at cruising speed. The quest to find the proper belt has led down many dead-ends. I am hoping to find one that measures 799 X 19 X 28 which will give some extra topend according to my logic. The OEM size is 794 X 18 X 30. Bando #23100-KJ9-003. I will say this and leave it to you for consideration: The addition of a Mikuni 24mm flat-slide along with a CT manifold(and custom adapter) has given much improvement to acceleration and overall performance of the Aero 125. Bear has utilized the OKO carb (I think).... :thumbwink:
Looking forward to having another member here suffering "Aero-mania". ...... :urban:
R.I.P. your face off 2012 042.JPG
R.I.P. your face off 2012 042.JPG (170.16 KiB) Viewed 7052 times
Ridgetop ride 003.JPG
Ridgetop ride 003.JPG (105.62 KiB) Viewed 7052 times

Above is the 125 I call "RUBY"^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Aero 85  JUDY.jpg
Aero 85 JUDY.jpg (66.91 KiB) Viewed 7052 times
[/i][/color][/size]
And this little 50 has just been added to the stable...she's called "JUDY"^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
RideRed
<(2)Gyro S><Helix><Sym Wolf>
"Live Large - Ride Small"
S4Patrick
Elite
Elite

Post by S4Patrick »

The ThunderDrome~! :thumbwink:

Raced it last year, was at the track last weekend!

How did ya get that decal?
'87 Aero 50 STOCK (only 350miles)
'87 Aero (AF16 Corsa-PG-Short-OKO24mm-8.44)
'86 Aero (AF16 Corsa-SEF Black-OKO21mm-8.44)
'98 Live Dio ZX - 50th Anniversary Edition 68cc
'92 Super Dio ZX - AF18 Corsa

Visit: http://www.airtoolsforless.com
Bear45-70
CBR1000RR
CBR1000RR

Post by Bear45-70 »

motormike wrote:Greetings and welcome mikeosoft.... :hi:
You will find me sometimes straddling the fence thats separates the moped/scooter worlds. Of course some parts of the world call everything mopeds. We won't let that be too confusing here.
I too have joined the Aero 125 owners club just less than a year ago. Being tempted now by an Aero80 that is on Craigs in a nearby town for $700 OBO. My only hesitation is room in the garage. One troublesome part to find is the drive belt. I am currently running one that is wrong in every specification, but is working good enough for the time being. My 28 year-old belt gave it up after a hard 75 miles at cruising speed. The quest to find the proper belt has led down many dead-ends. I am hoping to find one that measures 799 X 19 X 28 which will give some extra topend according to my logic. The OEM size is 794 X 18 X 30. Bando #23100-KJ9-003. I will say this and leave it to you for consideration: The addition of a Mikuni 24mm flat-slide along with a CT manifold(and custom adapter) has given much improvement to acceleration and overall performance of the Aero 125. Bear has utilized the OKO carb (I think).... :thumbwink:
Looking forward to having another member here suffering "Aero-mania". ...... :urban:
R.I.P. your face off 2012 042.JPG
Ridgetop ride 003.JPG

Above is the 125 I call "RUBY"^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Aero 85 JUDY.jpg
[/i][/color][/size]
And this little 50 has just been added to the stable...she's called "JUDY"^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Mike, that number, 23100-KJ9-003, is Honda's number. The Bando # is 23100-KJ9A-0030.
Bear 45/70

'83 Aero 80 X 3
'84 Aero 80 X 3

'85 Aero 80
'84 Aero 125 X 2
'84 Aero 125
'84 Aero 125 X 2
'85 Aero 50
'85 Spree
mikeosoft
BMX
BMX

Post by mikeosoft »

Bear any idea if this part number will work?

45450-KG8-010

I found an online supplier with this cable and according to diagrams it is the newer recommended replacement after the 009 was discontinued...

Motormike, nice to meet you! Are you the dude with the custom 4 reed intake setup? If so I'd like to know more about it.

Also guys i've never worked on a carb with a bystarter on it before, anything I need to be careful about? I'm nervous of ruining it since it is hard to come by.
Bear45-70
CBR1000RR
CBR1000RR

Post by Bear45-70 »

CABLE, FR. BRAKE (45450-KG8-010 ) Part is discontinued

A bystarter is an electric choke, only instead of using a butterfly valve, it just injects fuel into the throttle bore. On the Aero 125 carb, the bystarter is a screw-in item and you have to be careful when removing it.
Bear 45/70

'83 Aero 80 X 3
'84 Aero 80 X 3

'85 Aero 80
'84 Aero 125 X 2
'84 Aero 125
'84 Aero 125 X 2
'85 Aero 50
'85 Spree
eliteguy50
CBR1000RR
CBR1000RR

Post by eliteguy50 »

The bystarter is a fuel enrichment setup. Don't turn the bystarter itself, just pull it straight up after unscrewing.
motormike wrote:Errands become adventures.
motormike

Post by motormike »

S4Patrick wrote:The ThunderDrome~! :thumbwink:

Raced it last year, was at the track last weekend!

How did ya get that decal?

Heard about it last year and kept watching...found on Moped Army prob... :thumbwink:
Anyway, they gave these stickers out as part of this years contest to make an awesome tag and send in the photo.
I needed something to look cool on the number plate, so I slapped one on it. I have a second, but didn't make any pix for the contest...they're giving away a new Tomos...I really should've entered because I had this idea for a good tag, but it nevered happened... :sad:
I've been planning for June 30, only if relatives dont come from Texas that week. Imma try make it...bring the NS50F... :urban:
Attachments
NS 50 F.jpg
NS 50 F.jpg (55.04 KiB) Viewed 7017 times
RideRed
motormike

Post by motormike »

mikeosoft wrote:Motormike, nice to meet you! Are you the dude with the custom 4 reed intake setup? If so I'd like to know more about it.
With an adapter that I got from Bear, and a CT manifold fom tazland001, I used a 24 mm Mikuni flat-slide with 145 main. You loose the inner fender which is integral with the airbox. Those being the only mods and with the original belt, the difference over the 18mm carb is considerable...about 5 mph topend, but getting there takes place much quicker. It would really come alive with a pipe now...there is still some left in this curent set-up...BTW, my speedometer is noticeably slow, 5 mph at least, and I can see 58 on my best WOT runs of 1 mile. I'm saying it is probably doing 63 mph. No GPS...Bear is right about those numbers... :werd:
RideRed
mikeosoft
BMX
BMX

Post by mikeosoft »

This morning i got up and got to work since the rain is gone atm. I removed the side panel, took off the airbox, cleaned it, took off the carb. removed the bystarter carefully but couldn't disconnect the wires to run my multimeter and test for 10ohms which would indicate it is functioning properly. Anyways, i moved on.

I loosened the drain screw on the carb and gas just kept flowing, i realized immediately that the auto petcock was stuck open. First issue.

So I crimped the fuel line with some hemostats and let the carb bowl drain. I removed the bowl cover with the carb free and noticed tons of gunk.

I took the carb apart and there was tons of congealed gas and s*** in the bowl area... also the jets were both clogged and if i held it to the light i could see nothing through it. I have in my workshop a set of very small jewelers drill bits which i have used to widen some jets on an impossible to find carb on one of my mopeds, so I used that to clean the gunk and build up off the idle jets and main jet.

I took note of the sizes for the jets,

40 and 100 respectably. I'm assuming this is factory standard for low altitude riding.

Anyways, with some carb cleaner and some patience I thoroughly cleaned and put back together the carb. The float bowl was doing its job perfectly since the petcock is always stuck open, so i know i don't need to adjust anything there.

Here are some pics, and a video of me firing the baby up after it is all back together.

Video here!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XnYP9uc3uyY

She starts and runs great.
Bear45-70
CBR1000RR
CBR1000RR

Post by Bear45-70 »

Small problem, that 100 main jet is the high altitude jet, over 4,000 feet. You need a 105 main jet.

JET,#105 99102-GHB-1050 (replaces 99101-116-1050) $5.71

Don't run it with the 100 it is way too lean and can cause the piston to melt.

The petcock is available from Honda.

PETCOCK, AUTOMATIC 16950-KG8-901 (replaces 16950-KG8-003) $43.13

My dealer will sell it to me for $29.89, because of my good customer discount.
Bear 45/70

'83 Aero 80 X 3
'84 Aero 80 X 3

'85 Aero 80
'84 Aero 125 X 2
'84 Aero 125
'84 Aero 125 X 2
'85 Aero 50
'85 Spree
mikeosoft
BMX
BMX