Value of an Elite 80, and a few other questions.

The place to discuss rides, accessories, or whatever is tangentially Spree/Elite-related

Moderator: Moderator

bradthreee
Board Supporter
Board Supporter

Value of an Elite 80, and a few other questions.

Post by bradthreee »

Hello Gentlemen,

I have an opportunity to pick up a 1987 Honda Elite 80, but had a few questions before I pull the trigger.

It's got around 8xxx miles on it, in fair shape and doesn't look to be missing anything. It's got a title, but seems that it was last registered in 2009.

So I would like to have an idea what these things realisticly sell for? I've searched CL, but honestly most people tend to ask something rediculous on there.

Since I really don't need another scooter, I'd purchase for simply flipping it for a profit.

Anything I should specificly look for when I check out this Elite this weekend?

Thanks in advance
DeathByFox
Spree
Spree

Re: Value of an Elite 80, and a few other questions.

Post by DeathByFox »

Check the carburetor mounting bolts they strip. Ive heard of alot of elite 80s that have a problem with the carburetor to intake mounting bolts.
Bright lights put me in a dance But it aint house music makes me wanna dance
motormike

Post by motormike »

DeathByFox wrote:Check the carburetor mounting bolts they strip. Ive heard of alot of elite 80s that have a problem with the carburetor to intake mounting bolts.
I can say from experience, the carb/intake studs only strip when morons over-tighten them. Yes, after the o-rings get completely flattened by 25 years of being squished between two flanges, the (studs, bolts, nuts) will be prone to loosening from the harmonics that occur from flange-to-flange contact. New o-rings, and/or red loctite have completely eliminated this problem from my 1986 Elite 80.
Regarding re-sale, after $800, Elite 80's seem to stay listed on Craigs forever, unless you're talking about something newer than 2000. In the last year or so, I have bought 3 Elite 80s: 1. '85=running but a bit un-loved=$400...2. '86=one-owner, fac. windscreen, low miles=$500 3. '87=MINT, low miles, $500(was asking $750).
The only caution I have is that the starter on one of mine went bad after riding for a while and replacement cost would have been over $100. ( I had a parts bike free, got lucky)
I have a respect for these Elite 80's based on mpg (104 mpg personal test), and durability/reliability.
Good luck b3!!!!......... :wink:
RideRed
<Gyro S><MB5><Honda Navi><Helix><Sym Wolf><Yamaha Razz><Honda CH150 Deluxe>
"Live Large - Ride Small"
bradthreee
Board Supporter
Board Supporter

Post by bradthreee »

Thanks for the replies, I ended up passing on it. $680 worth of fees due with the Ca DMV.
motormike

Post by motormike »

bradthreee wrote:Thanks for the replies, I ended up passing on it. $680 worth of fees due with the Ca DMV.
SO, if I understand, this bike will now become a boat anchor because it can't be registered unless the fees due the state are paid to bring it current ?....What do you call that system ?...The California Department of Greed ?....For those of you who live there, too bad. For those who want to move there,... :crazy: ...good call, brad.
RideRed
<Gyro S><MB5><Honda Navi><Helix><Sym Wolf><Yamaha Razz><Honda CH150 Deluxe>
"Live Large - Ride Small"
bradthreee
Board Supporter
Board Supporter

Post by bradthreee »

You are correct sir. Either it's a parts bike, or you wait 10 years for it to "fall out of their system". Or you just ride it on your private property. No public streets or even off road. Ca really sucks when it comes to these type of issues.