97 Elite S questions

The place to discuss rides, accessories, or whatever is tangentially Spree/Elite-related

Moderator: Moderator

Spreeme
Noob
Noob

97 Elite S questions

Post by Spreeme »

Found this 97 Elite S on CL... http://appleton.craigslist.org/mcy/3141924501.html Is $650 a fair price? Anything I should watch for when I go check it out etc that could indicate problems with it? Is 97 a good year for the Elite S? I know some years have improvements that make a certen year more desired then others sometimes that's the only reason I ask. Average top speed for Elite S's? I'm in the process of finishing up my spree but I'm clueless when it comes to elite's so any help with my questions would be awesome. Thanks!
Wheelman-111

Re: 97 Elite S questions

Post by Wheelman-111 »

Greetings:

1997 was a Very Good Year for the SA50 Elite. It features the coveted AF16E engine that for the moment enjoys a good Aftermarket selection of go-slightly-faster items.

The downsides:

1. The "S" model - as distinct from the "SR" - is the moped-legal Restricted version, occasioning a little work before it is capable of challenging even the humble Spree for top speed. That's right, if the previous owner hasn't monkeyed with it (which can be a Very Bad Thing if he/she didn't know what to do...) the top speed of an S is not likely to exceed 25MPH.
The steps to de-restrict are fairly simple, but the most important are to modify the carb with a larger jet and the oiling system to ensure the nouveau Powerhouse doesn't suffer from Lack O' Lube.
2. The pics show what appears to be a rather shabby example of the SA50. Cracked front cover can be replaced easily enough, but missing side skirts and who-knows-what underneath the cowlings may not be so easily remedied. The owner should seriously consider lower offers.
Wheelman-111
Most of my money is spent on scooterparts. The rest is just wasted.
"ISO": '03 Vespa ET4 Malossi187 74MPH
Flash 9: 2001 Elite SR Contesta 72 ZX Tran, 9:1 Gears, Stock Airbox/Carb/Pipe 58.8 MPH
Punkin: 2010 Vespa/Malossi S78, 61MPH
eliteguy50
CBR1000RR
CBR1000RR

Re: 97 Elite S questions

Post by eliteguy50 »

Your top speed may be similar, but the comfort and acceleration of the S is superior to the Spree. Fuel economy will be similar.
motormike wrote:Errands become adventures.