New member from France with a 1986 Aero 50

The place to discuss rides, accessories, or whatever is tangentially Spree/Elite-related

Moderator: Moderator

GSX1400
Spree
Spree

Re: New member from France with a 1986 Aero 50

Post by GSX1400 »

Back and forth from the garage :
viewtopic.php?f=4&t=14999&p=219501#p219501
GSX1400
Spree
Spree

Post by GSX1400 »

S4Patrick wrote: Yes, as for my reference of "bright lights" I mean a high-beam setting. Can you change the light bulb within the headlight housing or is it a one-piece configuration? Meaning that the entire headlight housing has to be changed, not just the bulb....
Yes, you can change the bulb only. The sealed beam stuff never got to us (hopefully).
I think a stock MAIN JET for the Aero 50 here in the U.S. is 82---someone else may be able to verify this MAIN JET size. As for using an Aero 80 JET, I'm not sure about compatibility, perhaps Bear (knowledgeable forum member) can verify this for you.
(I'm thinking the Aero 80 JETS are not compatible with the Aero 50 carbs)
If I trusted my dealer, that's also what I should have in my carb. But instead I've got an 80.
I can always order a 82 later. To be continued...
Transmission/ rear gear box oil:
The location of the drain plug is just past the rear driven clutch. It's on the cover where the engine code is stamped. (engine code AF05XXXXXX) It's just above the rear brake "arm".

There's a series of 8mm bolts around the outer perimeter of the "trans cover plate", then 1 12mm bolt. The 12mm bolt/ plug is "kind of" near the center of the "trans cover plate". That 12mm bolt is the drain plug. If you remove it, oil will come out. No easy way to drain all the oil with the "tarns cover plate" still on, so you're just going to have to tip the bike to its side for a little time and let it drain out.

Got it?
Yes. So the drain and filler hole are the same. The level is okay when the oil starts dripping out when I fill it, or do I have to measure the 90cc?
So they're that tough over there about modifications and the speed on these scooters over there? So tough and concerned that they would open up the transmission and inspect it?

On the variator, if insurance concerns are that critical, then I would simply go with a U.S. spec stock variator....it's good for 40mph maybe a tad bit more......and it's a stock Honda part. And you're not doing anything wrong--at least they're probably never going to know.
Yes, in case the bike isn't in stock form or if the after market parts enable it to go faster than 45 km/h, the insurance will not pay the accident.
You can imagine the consequences.
So, "everyone" unrestricts (say 80%) but you are better on if the parts look like the original and if nothing looks like it's been touched...
Perhaps someone here can sell you a U.S. spec stock variator & ramp plate (or just a ramp plate) for less money than what's currently on Ebay. Or, just bite the bullet and buy a stock variator from Ebay. Who knows how people come up with their prices on Ebay....sometimes there's deals, other times there's people with crazy-high prices.
I have a contact by PM with a member already.
On just replacing the ramp plate on your existing variator, you could buy this one:
(just verify that this is for use on the stock variator)

http://www.ebay.com/itm/POLINI-MODIFIED ... 27&vxp=mtr

Not too bad, as it gives you three different types of roller weights to work with within this kit.
HA! It even has the Peugeot Rapido listed as a bike that this is for~!
It is an option. But I'll wait for the infos on the Honda non restricted plate from the member here.
I'm curious, what's the roller weight (of each roller) within your current variator? (U.S. spec is 10.00 grams each)
I just weighed them : 8 grams each.
Hope this helps....

~Patrick
I'm seeing the end of the tunnel.

I have just adjusted the carb, there was no play in the cable! Hard to adjust the idle that way. Bunch of * at the Honda shop who did the job.
The idle richness was only out 1/2 a turn. The shop manual says 1 turn 1/4 (+/- 1/4 turn).
My adjustement finally is 1 turn 1/2 out.

It idles much better and starts 1st time. Before I had to accelerate manually to enable it to start and the idle was sometimes up, sometimes down.

Almost done. Hope the dealer gets my spares tomorrow.

I cleaned all the places that are not reachable usually. It's starting to look new(er). :thumbwink:
GSX1400
Spree
Spree

Post by GSX1400 »

S4Patrick wrote: On just replacing the ramp plate on your existing variator, you could buy this one:
(just verify that this is for use on the stock variator)

http://www.ebay.com/itm/POLINI-MODIFIED ... 27&vxp=mtr

Not too bad, as it gives you three different types of roller weights to work with within this kit.
Too bad I'd have to pay the VAT importing this in Europe plus the delivery costs...
The same seller (I beleive he is on the forum here?) also has this :
http://www.ebay.com/itm/PULLEY-AERO-NB5 ... 3cc611a84f
Does it have the ramp plate with it in your opinion?

Oh! And my brother lives on Oah'u!!! So he could send me this as a "gift"...good plan man! :2thumbs: No VAT...

Closer to me, I've found this :
http://www.discount-scooter.fr/variateu ... apido.html

The price VAT and shipping would be 67$ to compare.
But it's not a Polini which is a reknown brand.
Do you guys know something of this Top Racing stuff?

I can't find the modified Polini ramp on the web in France or Europe. Had a look at the Polini website, but no infos on the ramp alone. Only on the whole variators.
Found a seller in Germany, but his website refuses to sell (legally) to France...
GSX1400
Spree
Spree

Post by GSX1400 »

GSX1400 wrote: The same seller (I beleive he is on the forum here?) also has this :
http://www.ebay.com/itm/PULLEY-AERO-NB5 ... 3cc611a84f
Does it have the ramp plate with it in your opinion?

I got the answer :cry: :
the Keli variator does not come with a ramp plate. I don't think honda carries it anymore either. the only variator with a ramp is my Polini variator. here is a link:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/POLINI-VARIATOR ... 74&vxp=mtr

Patrick

Or I can buy the Polini ramp plate that goes in the Honda variator.
GSX1400
Spree
Spree

Post by GSX1400 »

Today I put the scoot back on the road.
I managed to fix the air filter a bit so as to be able to use the Aero while awaiting my parts ordered at the dealers.
I put the variator back in, but as I didn't have a new gasket I used some black silicone joint on the casing.
Doing this disables you from using the electric start. The starter will not turn. Not enough play in the cover I guess.
I tried unloosening it just a tad and the starter would turn. So you cannot mount the cover without a gasket (thickness question).
That's a very precise mounting... :crazy:
So I'll kick start TT until wednesday.
Compression test gave me 8 kPa. Like new then as per the shop manual.

I cleaned it in every corner, reassembled it and went for a ride with my 4 year old behind.

Wow! :*: This thing now flies without the washer restricting the exhaust.
I can't wait to put a full speed ramp plate and, maybe, a bigger jet (if needed)! :woot:
I'm still wondering if I should go the whole way to a Top Racing variator (the cheapest brand I could find) or just an OEM non restricted ramp plate. Giving it some more reflexion. Just the legal issues that are concerning me. :?

It has so much more torque at low end, the speed grabs up so quickly. I managed, one adult and a kid on it, a 50 km/h ~(31 mph) in a couple of seconds. It realer "pulls" :lol: .
No kidding, I can feel the BIG difference. So happy.
Ok, I also adjusted the carb : there was no play in the cable ( :surprise: ) so that the idle was high and variable depending on the stress on the cable when turning the handle bar, the idle richness was only out for 1/2 a turn and not 1 1/4 (I have 1 1/2 turn out on my scoot), the idle speed was almost screwed in at the maximum...
I wonder if it's only the fact I pulled the washer out that gives me all that "power" (still laughing at this by comparison to my motorbikes :bowrofl: ) and/or the carb settings. :idea:
Anyway : works great!

Starting it with the kick isn't a 1st try, first start though. I still have to accelerate a bit.
Starting with the electric start (cover casing off) is instant though and without touching the throttle.
Maybe some more adjusting (idle richness) to do.

Looking for jets, I have found this website :
http://www.jbc-accessoires.fr/scooter-m ... odele.html

Did some pictures that I will post in a couple of minutes.
Stay tuned.
GSX1400
Spree
Spree

Post by GSX1400 »

So here are some pics of the day.

Reassembling TT :

The original Dunlops K 398. They are in 3.00 x 10 and not 2.75 x 10. That's how they were delivered on our french market.

The plug is the standard one :

Engine views (I had done a 1st cleaning job, but it was overall clean enough, just some dust) :

Variator :

Compression test :
Last edited by GSX1400 on Sat Sep 01, 2012 7:17 pm, edited 3 times in total.
GSX1400
Spree
Spree

Post by GSX1400 »

Some pics once cleaned and not finished "rebuilding" :
GSX1400
Spree
Spree

Post by GSX1400 »

Hit the road TT!

Some french warning stickers :
Protect the environnement, wear your helmet (so you don't go and splatter your brains everywhere in case of an accident??? :bump: ).

There are some scuffs :

The Rickman (vintage collector item!) top case (sort of soft moulded plastic not fiberglass, too bad, it is a bit marshmallow like...) :

That's all for the moment.
Nice Aero eh? :imo:
zuphilius
Elite
Elite

Post by zuphilius »

That is one clean Aero!
I am a leaf on the wind. Watch how I soar.
GSX1400
Spree
Spree

Post by GSX1400 »

Thanks.
And it's going to be a "fast" one too. :2thumbs:
GSX1400
Spree
Spree

Post by GSX1400 »

Just ordered myself a non restricted Honda ramp plate.
Tried a bit of top speed to see what it could do : 55 km/h with my 4 year old. Wow...
Rogerio
Goped
Goped

Post by Rogerio »

Hi Richard,
Very nice job and pictures. I've gone trough the same type of job on a NE50 (see my posts). At the end I was a litlle disapointed, the "Thing" was only reaching 59Kmh even with a BBK.
Regards
GSX1400
Spree
Spree

Post by GSX1400 »

Hi Rogerio, I had a look at your topic. No pics during the restoration project?
Nice to see another european member here. Are there some others???

Your paint job is superb! I like the blue metallic. Is it a Honda color for the NE or did you do a personal paint job in choosing this color?
Your black plastics look new too. Painted or changed or already in like new condition before?

60km/h isn't fantastic for a BBK in my mind. Not worth the legal risk issues (do you have those kind of problems in Portugal?). But considering the braking capacities, it's fast enough! :bowrofl:
Maybe it keeps its cruising speed better than an orginal cylinder and goes better up-hills?

As I said, I picked up 55km/h yesterday and only my pipe is unrestricted.
The variator is still restricted and won't allow the belt to go all the way up...for the moment :mrgreen: ...
Up-hill, I can get 45 and keep it all the way.
So that's not so bad.

In my young years I used to have a Motobecane 51 Super.
BBK : Polini "75cc" with the W exhaust port
Transmission : 11x43
Variator : 2 rollers
Pipe : Fresco articulated pipe (unlegal "silencer" on it)
Carb : Gurtner with the needle at the highest point

I could get almost 120 out of that (car speedo reading) and 90 was a cruising speed that I did 2 times à week during 130 kilometers without a stop (school was far from home) for a couple of months.

Did you get your stickers, some pics to show us?

Do you know of any european forum or club or whatever for these "things"?
GSX1400
Spree
Spree

Post by GSX1400 »

Just found out that the original Dunlop K 398 were still available new.
Excellent for preserving the vintage look!
http://ssl.delti.com/cgi-bin/rshop.pl?d ... dealo_moto
Rogerio
Goped
Goped

Post by Rogerio »

GSX1400 wrote:Hi Rogerio, I had a look at your topic. No pics during the restoration project? I've some pics but the quality is not good.Nice to see another european member here. Are there some others??? Not to my knowledge

Your paint job is superb! I like the blue metallic. Is it a Honda color for the NE or did you do a personal paint job in choosing this color?It's an Hyundai color, the closest to the Honda original.Your black plastics look new too. Painted or changed or already in like new condition before? They were re-sprayed by me after a special plastic primer.
60km/h isn't fantastic for a BBK in my mind. Not worth the legal risk issues (do you have those kind of problems in Portugal?). Almost no legal issues here, Police is busy collecting money from cars and lorry drivers :naughty: But considering the braking capacities, it's fast enough! :bowrofl: Not fast enough for me, I'll try an performance exhaust.
Maybe it keeps its cruising speed better than an orginal cylinder and goes better up-hills? With two persons it keeps 40Kmh up-hills thanks to the BBK.
As I said, I picked up 55km/h yesterday and only my pipe is unrestricted. I'd 59Kmh measured with the GPS.
The variator is still restricted and won't allow the belt to go all the way up...for the moment :mrgreen: ...
Up-hill, I can get 45 and keep it all the way.
So that's not so bad.

In my young years I used to have a Motobecane 51 Super.
BBK : Polini "75cc" with the W exhaust port
Transmission : 11x43
Variator : 2 rollers
Pipe : Fresco articulated pipe (unlegal "silencer" on it)
Carb : Gurtner with the needle at the highest point

I could get almost 120 out of that (car speedo reading) and 90 was a cruising speed that I did 2 times à week during 130 kilometers without a stop (school was far from home) for a couple of months.

Did you get your stickers, some pics to show us? I've found a young guy here that make stickers (8Ôé¼) based on an internet picture.

Do you know of any european forum or club or whatever for these "things"? No, that's the reason why I've entered this excelent Spree forum with a lot of worth information and nice people :thumbwink: