How-To: 87 Spree Glovebox Installation on Earlier Years

The place to discuss rides, accessories, or whatever is tangentially Spree/Elite-related

Moderator: Moderator

87spree70superbee
Spree
Spree

How-To: 87 Spree Glovebox Installation on Earlier Years

Post by 87spree70superbee »

Allright, first mod for my Spree. I have another really cool mod coming up for my Spree involving the glove box, so check back for that one. So, without further a do, here's how I installed an '87 glove box onto my '85.

OTHER PART TO GLOVEBOX MOD HERE: viewtopic.php?f=1&t=25673

*EDIT* FINALLY got the pics to work...

Parts checklist:
Hacksaw
Drill bits
Drill
Dremel w/sanding wheel
File
Sandpaper
Phillips screwdriver
Glovebox
Plastic filler/bondo
OPTIONAL:
'87 turn signals

If you're installing the 87 signals with the box, bolt them to the box. You only need to use steps 1,3,and 6.

Step one: Remove the front horn cover and remove the wires leading to the signals. There should be a single-to-dual wire connector with the single wire being green. That's your ground for both signals, disconnect the bullet connectors. Then there are a blue wire and an orange wire, disconnect them as well. Now remove the front signal brackets by removing the 4 bolts on the front plastic. Remove the bracket from the plastic. Pull the wires through the holes in the plastic.

Step two: Now that we have the signals off, let's go ahead and cut off the built-on signal mounts. I used a hacksaw and cut as close to the box as I could. Here's a picture showing after the sides were hacked off...

Now we need to use the Dremel to get the panel as smooth as possible. Use a low-medium speed, and don't just stay in one place. Go in a back-and-forth motion, taking off a little here, a little there. The better of a job you do now, the less you'll have to replace with plastic filler. Remember, you don't want to hack up the plastic, you just want to shave it off.

Step three: Remove the four floor panel bolts and remove the one bolt that holds the front leg-shield panel on. Pull off the leg shield. If you look on the decal side of the shield, You can see where the hole is supposed to be drilled for the glovebox... In the center of the ring. Use a 1/8" drill bit. Screw the glovebox on and drill the other two holes at the bottom of the box.

Step four: Remove the box and re-install the signals. Hold it up to the mounting points, and mark out how wide you need to cut the notch out on both sides. Now that you've done that, it needs to be cut 3/4" to 1" deep. Once it's cut so everything clears, go ahead and re-install your leg shield and floorboard.

Step five: Use the plastic filler to fill in the holes. Paint as necessary. Reinstall. I haven't done this yet, so this will be updated later on when I have time to post pictures and fill the holes up.

Step six: Rewire the signals using the exact opposite of how you removed the old ones.

OTHER PART TO GLOVEBOX MOD HERE: viewtopic.php?f=1&t=25673

Thanks for reading, and I hope this helps you. There are probably better ways to do this, using better tools and good stuff like that. I used what I had and what was easiest for me.

-Nick
Last edited by 87spree70superbee on Sat Dec 08, 2012 5:32 pm, edited 11 times in total.
Black 85 Spree-SOLD

Red 87 Spree... Ended up buying the same one mentioned below.

I started riding my uncle's 87 Spree at the drag strip when I was 8...

It's easier to stop caring three years ago than it is to fix it in present time.
martynkim
Board Supporter
Board Supporter

Re: How-To: 87 Spree Glovebox Installation on Earlier Years

Post by martynkim »

Good tutorial, pictures would help the noobs.
Need parts? Parting out Spree Aero and Elite!
What people share about buying from me http://www.hondaspree.net/phpBB3/viewto ... =1&t=15559
PM me with your needs Cheap Parts
abreen89
CB900F
CB900F

Post by abreen89 »

martynkim wrote:Good tutorial, pictures would help the noobs.
IM A NOOB TO GLOVE BOXES POST PICS. :smile:
'89 Honda Elite SB50p STOCK
'85 Honda Spree NQ50 STOCK sold
'85 Honda Spree NQ50 48mm bbk, taz gears, 18mm carb w/ ct intake
'86 Honda Aero NB50 Stock In The Works ;)
'86 Honda Aero NB50 Stock
87spree70superbee
Spree
Spree

Pics will come when I fill in the holes. Thanks.
Black 85 Spree-SOLD

It's easier to stop caring three years ago than it is to fix it in present time.
87spree70superbee
Spree
Spree

abreen89 wrote:
IM A NOOB TO GLOVE BOXES POST PICS. :smile:
Pics will come when I fill in the holes. Thanks.
Black 85 Spree-SOLD

abreen89
CB900F
CB900F

Post by abreen89 »

NICE!
'89 Honda Elite SB50p STOCK
'85 Honda Spree NQ50 STOCK sold
'85 Honda Spree NQ50 48mm bbk, taz gears, 18mm carb w/ ct intake
'86 Honda Aero NB50 Stock In The Works ;)
'86 Honda Aero NB50 Stock
toohyped
Noob
Noob

Post by toohyped »

Here is how mine came out. Glove box off a 87 Spree onto my 85 Spree. Filling the holes was a bit tricky. I super glued a couple of old credit cards on each side and then bondo. Came out ok.
Attachments
After
After
20160602_233934 - 1.jpg (249.12 KiB) Viewed 5945 times
87spree70superbee
Spree
Spree

toohyped wrote:Here is how mine came out. Glove box off a 87 Spree onto my 85 Spree. Filling the holes was a bit tricky. I super glued a couple of old credit cards on each side and then bondo. Came out ok.
That looks great! Unfortunately I ended up having to get rid of mine before I could completely finish it. My uncle has an 87 spree sitting in his shed that hasn't been started in about 10 years. Most likely that will be my next project...
Black 85 Spree-SOLD