Towing your scooter

The place to discuss rides, accessories, or whatever is tangentially Spree/Elite-related

Moderator: Moderator

GSX1400
Spree
Spree

Re: Towing your scooter

Post by GSX1400 »

eliteguy50 wrote: The belt won't be an issue because the clutch won't be engaged.
This brings a question to me : there is no way to push start an Aero 50 then?
But going downhill I feel, when I cut throttle, that the engine is engaged which seems more obvious when I finish the downhill at a stop sign coming to this stop still with the throttle cut out. As if the was some drag that kept the cutch engaged when the rear wheel is turning fast enough.

Am I wrong?

That would mean that if the scoot hd no kick starter and the battery died out, there would be no way of starting the scoot?
Wheelman-111

Post by Wheelman-111 »

Greetings:

The engine does supply braking force - well as much as a small-displacement two-smoke can, anyway - when the engine is running at an RPM high enough to keep the clutch engaged. If the engine is stopped or slows to Idle speed the clutch Disengages. If you stopped at the top of a hill and pushed off with your legs to begin coasting down the hill, the engine would just keep idling and you could go as fast as the hill makes you go with the engine not revving up at all.

It's counter-intuitive, but there is NO way to push-start this type of transmission.
Wheelman-111
Most of my money is spent on scooterparts. The rest is just wasted.
"ISO": '03 Vespa ET4 Malossi187 74MPH
Flash 9: 2001 Elite SR Contesta 72 ZX Tran, 9:1 Gears, Stock Airbox/Carb/Pipe 58.8 MPH
Punkin: 2010 Vespa/Malossi S78, 61MPH
eliteguy50
CBR1000RR
CBR1000RR

Post by eliteguy50 »

If you have another moped or similar device available, you can "push start" it by removing the belt cover, then using the rear wheel of the second device on the drive pulley of your aero. It helps to hold both bikes at an angle to establish decent enough contact.
motormike wrote:Errands become adventures.
Wheelman-111

Post by Wheelman-111 »

Greetings:

Not sure if that can be called "push-starting" of not. It's a bittch puttin' that belt back on a running engine, anyway.

Simpler way is to mount a 17 or 14mm socket to a drill and spin it that way.
Wheelman-111
Most of my money is spent on scooterparts. The rest is just wasted.
"ISO": '03 Vespa ET4 Malossi187 74MPH
Flash 9: 2001 Elite SR Contesta 72 ZX Tran, 9:1 Gears, Stock Airbox/Carb/Pipe 58.8 MPH
Punkin: 2010 Vespa/Malossi S78, 61MPH
eliteguy50
CBR1000RR
CBR1000RR

Post by eliteguy50 »

That's why I quoted it. The second device is pushing on the outer sheaves half. You don't have to do anything with the belt.
eliteguy50
CBR1000RR
CBR1000RR

Post by eliteguy50 »

Back to the original topic:
I have decided against this device for our Honda scooters due to the severe angle. After mocking up an open case, I fear that the primary gear bearing would run dry.

This would work for a bike that does not use a final reduction box at the wheel.
GSX1400
Spree
Spree

Post by GSX1400 »

Thanks for the explanations on the push start.