My first work on my jog

The place to discuss rides, accessories, or whatever is tangentially Spree/Elite-related

Moderator: Moderator

kaisarwilhelm
Noob
Noob

My first work on my jog

Post by kaisarwilhelm »

I recently bought a '90 Jog mostly together. This is my first scooter and I am just starting to get my feet wet, so be nice. The biggest attraction for me was cost-savings. In Michigan, a moped/scooter does not require insurance ($20/month) or a motorcycle endorsement ($40 for the test alone), registration is cheap (only $15/3 years), the initial cost of it was far less than a motorcycle (I paid $400) especially for my in-town commute. A big engine would be a huge waste since I only need to go 5 miles mostly at 30mph...oh and 85-100 miles to the gallon sounds nice, especially over $4.00/gal. Cost wasn't the only thing, I also wanted to start tinkering with small engines to see what I can do. I'm open to ideas on upgrades for it.

The history:
Bear with me. The guy I got it from traded an RC car for it in pieces. He is a mechanic so he thought he'd have some fun and put it all togehter (after cleaning every part). He added an aftermarket air filter, some better torque springs, a new wheel/tire for the rear, redid the seat lining, dropped in a new battery, and some other things. When purchasing it I knew that all of the mechanics and electronics were in order, which is what mattered to me most. So, I noticed that it is missing the horn, the mirrors, the rear fender, and the centre stand. I'll post pictures if there becomes an interest for me to do so. Let me know if you want some.

What I have done so far:
I bought a horn and installed it. I got an '87 jog stand thinking it was the same since the engine is the same...it is not. It seems CG50 stands were made thinner and smaller than the CE50. With some minor modification, it works. I wasn't going to worry about the fender until I was reading up on Michigan moped laws. Apparently the registration sticker needs to be visible from behind and attached to a fender...Well crap, now I need one. I was going to rig something really tacky up until I realized that I work at a machine shop...why can't I convince my boss to let me machine something from scrap metal? He did better than that, I gave him some "blueprints" of what I wanted and he machined it for me! It turned out perfectly. I spray painted it (matte black) and just today bolted it on. It fit perfectly. It looks beautiful...like it was made by Yamaha and designed for the jog (only better since its steel and not plastic). Now I just need to get some mirrors, a half-helmet, a pair of riding gloves, and wait for spring to ride.

Once I have him as my daily commuter I will figure out my gas mileage, top speed, acceleration curve, and what I think I want to do next as far as performance upgrades. From my late fall tests it seems I can go upwards of 40+, but I need to do more extensive tests now that I can ride legally.

Any thoughts, questions, comments, concerns, or things revealing a cognitive disassociation with reality?
eliteE85
Goped
Goped

Re: My first work on my jog

Post by eliteE85 »

jog is a great scoot- they looooove to wheelie with a bigger carb
maddog
CB900F
CB900F

Re: My first work on my jog

Post by maddog »

I have 3 jog type scoots but none are japan, they are reliable but honda is still king.
some people dream of speed, i own your dreams!