Carb cleaner fluid?

The place to discuss rides, accessories, or whatever is tangentially Spree/Elite-related

Moderator: Moderator

Maximum223
Noob
Noob

Carb cleaner fluid?

Post by Maximum223 »

My buddie just told me his dad used a liquid you put in your gas called "carb cleaner" or something, and It cleaned out your carb stator slowly or made your honda go faster. My honda elite 50cc seems to hit a hitch in the engine acceleration for around 100 feet where even with throttle wide open it won't go faster then 10 mph. Then it seems to pick up and it will go 25mph max. Will the built up carbon in the carburetor make it go slower? My buddies dad said that if your take off some carburetor layers and scrape off built up carbon it will go faster. Is this true? Because his sons is 2 years newer then mine and it goes 35mph. Is "carb cleaner" legit?
martynkim
Board Supporter
Board Supporter

Re: Carb cleaner fluid?

Post by martynkim »

Any type of chemical that you run thru the fuel system on a 2 stroke is taking a risk breaking down the oil in your mix. Your lubrication may suffer causing potential damage. I would remove the carb and clean it rather than running something thru it as you suggested. It works fine in cars and 4 strokes but, the lubrication is in the crank case. See my point?
Need parts? Parting out Spree Aero and Elite!
What people share about buying from me http://www.hondaspree.net/phpBB3/viewto ... =1&t=15559
PM me with your needs Cheap Parts
Maximum223
Noob
Noob

Post by Maximum223 »

Yes. But will cleaning our the carb improve speed?
martynkim
Board Supporter
Board Supporter

Post by martynkim »

If the carb is dirty enough it will hinder your top speed.
What people share about buying from me http://www.hondaspree.net/phpBB3/viewto ... =1&t=15559
patthesoundguy

Post by patthesoundguy »

Carbon doesn't build up in the carb it builds up in the exhaust and exhaust port. Some seafoam in the tank will help dissolve varnish and help some, but if its having problems, you need to pull the carb and clean it properly and pull the pipe and have a look.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2
Dude! Ya Can't Fix Stupid!
84 Spree stock
84 Spree Dio AF18E MHR Cylinder Arrow Pipe 28mm OKO
80 Express, 47mm DR BBKit, Weak Ends Intake, Boyesen Dual stage reeds, 19mm Delorto carb, MLM pipe
79 Express
85 Aero 80 stock
84 elite 125 stock
patthesoundguy

Post by patthesoundguy »

First things first what year and model is the scooter? The trick to making it faster is to go through the motor and do ALL of the maintenance that it needs. Check the compression to make sure the cylinder piston and rings aren't cooked then, Clean the carb, bake the pipe, replace the air filter, make sure the intake system is all functioning as its designed, new plug gapped correctly. You could have any of a bunch of problems really. Also how many miles on the scooter?

84 Spree stock
80 Express, 47mm DR BBKit, Weak Ends Intake, Boyesen Dual stage reeds, 19mm Delorto carb, MLM pipe
79 Express
85 Aero 80 stock
84 elite 125 stock
martynkim
Board Supporter
Board Supporter

Post by martynkim »

patthesoundguy wrote:Carbon doesn't build up in the carb it builds up in the exhaust and exhaust port. Some seafoam in the tank will help dissolve varnish and help some, but if its having problems, you need to pull the carb and clean it properly and pull the pipe and have a look.

I don't believe in Seafoam. It has never made a difference in any project I have worked on. But, others have reported it works well.
martynkim
Board Supporter
Board Supporter

Post by martynkim »

martynkim wrote:
patthesoundguy wrote:Carbon doesn't build up in the carb it builds up in the exhaust and exhaust port. Some seafoam in the tank will help dissolve varnish and help some, but if its having problems, you need to pull the carb and clean it properly and pull the pipe and have a look.

I don't believe in Seafoam. It has never made a difference in any project I have worked on. But, others have reported it works well.
I don't think you will get away with a pour in perfromance.
patthesoundguy

Post by patthesoundguy »

It has worked well for me in some cases, but here I don't think it is the answer. It sure shines up the red plastics on my aero 80 ;-) you just can't expect it to do things like unclog a pipe or completely clean an effed up carb. Most of the time there is no substitute for actually pulling stuff apart and fixing it.

84 Spree stock
79 Express
85 Aero 80 stock
84 elite 125 stock
ottoman
Elite
Elite

Post by ottoman »

Dont overlook the belt condition.. worn rollers... torque spring condition and torque driver pins and grooves and check for free movement in the torque driver.