Honda sh50 score

The place to discuss rides, accessories, or whatever is tangentially Spree/Elite-related

Moderator: Moderator

JohnRobHolmes
Goped
Goped

Honda sh50 score

Post by JohnRobHolmes »

Me and my business partner were picking up some classic bikes to fix up for our shop and grabbed an sh50 for ourselves. It has a uk tag and is not a model the U.S. gets, some army guy brought it over. Frame badge doesn't list year and I can't find info on them, just some uk pics. Looks early 80s.

Now for what caught our eye. Vertical engine, reed block, dual rear shocks, 16" spoke wheels, variated, and very good condition otherwise other than sun cracked seat. Slap a pipe on, jet it, some fat dual sports, and we should be ripping!

So I hear this might have a dio under it... Anybody know something on them?
mousewheels
Veteran OG
Veteran OG

Re: Honda sh50 score

Post by mousewheels »

Guys in HI or out of US will have infor about the SH50.

Search on "Scoopy", its come up a few times at this site. The 80's looks a bit like a Spree with big wheels. If this looks like yours - doesn't the kicker lever say it's not an AF16 or variated AF05?

JohnRobHolmes
Goped
Goped

Post by JohnRobHolmes »

Yeah, it's a scoopy. Model of engine on the kick start you say? I'll check it.
mousewheels
Veteran OG
Veteran OG

Post by mousewheels »

There's an online service manual with tech info. http://www.slideshare.net/JohnV12/manual-29-40

Powertrain's worth a closer look. Engine for SH50-H and SH50-K model is variated over 2.74:1 to 1.20:1. Bore/Stroke 40mm/39.3mm differs from AF05 or AF16. Stator has discrete coils like an early Aero (83/84).
JohnRobHolmes
Goped
Goped

Post by JohnRobHolmes »

Engine is labeled SH50E B.

Changed the gas, cleaned the carb, cleaned the sparkplug, hotwired it since we didn't have a key, and it fired right up. Good old Honda bikes.

Runs a solid 30 even without the airbox, and gets there a lot faster than my 2012 ruckus! With a pipe and some tuning it should really wake up. After getting the basics out of the way I'll look into the variator.
JohnRobHolmes
Goped
Goped

Post by JohnRobHolmes »

Traded my interest in this bike for a honda express with the DS engine and expansion pipe. The scoopy is still faster to 30 without a pipe!
Dio89Elite
Elite
Elite

Post by Dio89Elite »

aw... :( I wanted to see more of this!
altho... an Express is also a cool classic! :)