Michigan moped laws changed (Aero 80cc now a moped?)

The place to discuss rides, accessories, or whatever is tangentially Spree/Elite-related

Moderator: Moderator

Pancake Sauce
Goped
Goped

Michigan moped laws changed (Aero 80cc now a moped?)

Post by Pancake Sauce »

Hey guys! I would first like to update everybody on here who isn't already aware that Michigan law regarding requirements for moped classification have been changed. I believe it was changed January 1st of 2013 but it was at least somewhere near that date. Previously, the law stated that it had to be a 2-3 wheeled vehicle with less than 2hp, less than 50cc, and with a top speed on level surfaces of no more than 30 mph. Now, the cc limit has been increased to 100cc as well as the 2hp being completely removed from the requirements.

MY QUESTION: Can anybody confirm that an Aero 80cc can now be registered as a moped in Michigan? Has anybody already done this legit with a stock manufactured moped claiming over 50cc and under 100cc?

I would imagine that the 30 mph limit is a grey area seeing as how almost all 50cc mopeds sold here in the past 8 years (at least within 100mi of my area of michigan) are capable of easily 35-45 mph and come already registered as mopeds through the dealer. I wouldn't have any problem restricting an Aero 80 if that was necessary as there are plenty of methods for restriction. I simply don't want to go buy a scooter that I can't register as a moped, if that makes any sense. I feel it is about time we figure out what is acceptable with the 100cc limit implementation.

Taken directly from michigan.gov ::::

"A moped is a two- or three-wheeled vehicle with a motor not exceeding 100cc engine displacement. The moped must have a power drive system that does not require shifting gears and cannot have a top speed exceeding 30 mph on level surfaces." ::::

In case anybody reading this isn't familiar with restricted/governed mopeds, some examples of industry standard restrictions are: electronic rpm limiters on the cdi, a washer preventing the variator from closing completely, a washer welded into the exhaust to prevent maximum airflow, a flow-restricting intake manifold or intake manifold peripheral, or a plate/stopper to restrict the throttle from fully opening. Any one of these methods can be used effectively and are currently being used on many models from many brands. I would have no problem constructing my own governor so long as the Secretary of State is willing to accept a moped that was previously registered as a motorcycle before the new laws were in place.

Any info on your experiences with 51-99cc moped registration would be much appreciated. Thanks.
'09 Honda Metropolitan
'83 Honda Aero 80
cruzingratiot
Elite
Elite
Location: Detroit michigan , 2000 Purple elite s ,2001 Black elite s ,

Re: Michigan moped laws changed (Aero 80cc now a moped?)

Post by cruzingratiot »

I haven't registered one but
I saw a aero or elite 80 for sale on craigslist
and the person selling it said it was registered as a moped

some more from the mi sos web site
mi sos
http://www.michigan.gov/sos

http://www.michigan.gov/sos/0,4670,7-12 ... -F,00.html
What is the difference between a motorcycle and a moped (or a scooter)?

Answer:

A moped has an engine displacement not exceeding 100cc, no manual gearshift, and is capable of no more than 30 mph on a level surface. If it does not meet all three of the listed requirements, it is considered a motorcycle. A scooter may be either a moped or a motorcycle depending on its size. Riding a motorcycle requires a CY endorsement on your Michigan license. A properly registered moped can be ridden on the street by any licensed driver or anyone 15 years old or older with a moped license.

What is considered a moped? Are they registered?
http://www.michigan.gov/sos/0,1607,7-12 ... --,00.html

What is considered a moped? Are they registered?

Michigan law defines a moped as a two or three-wheel vehicle which meets ALL of the following limitations:
1.Top speed is no more than 30 mph on level surface
2.Engine size is 100 cc or less
3.No manual gearshift

Vehicles meeting this definition are classified as a moped and are registered with a 3-year moped decal for $15. Vehicles exceeding any of the characteristics listed above are classified as motorcycles.

moped general info
http://www.michigan.gov/sos/0,1607,7-12 ... --,00.html
Donate Life
6-7-04 Liver Transplant Recipitant
http://www.donatelife.net/
Thank You

My 2000 Mystic Purple Elite Build
LINK -> viewtopic.php?f=16&t=27850
teamrandr
Noob
Noob

Post by teamrandr »

A co worker of mine has his elite 80 registered as a moped. He said it was no hassle.
motormike

Post by motormike »

God bless Michigan... :worship:
RideRed
<Gyro S><MB5><Honda Navi><Helix><Sym Wolf><Yamaha Razz><Honda CH150 Deluxe>
"Live Large - Ride Small"
Trafficjamz
CBR1000RR
CBR1000RR

Post by Trafficjamz »

teamrandr wrote:A co worker of mine has his elite 80 registered as a moped. He said it was no hassle.
it never is for me.

There is no inspection of any sort ever.
new best 1/8th mile time 9.647 seconds @67.155 mph 310lbs total weight
Pancake Sauce
Goped
Goped

Post by Pancake Sauce »

Well, I am back from the SoS with my newly purchased '83 Honda Aero 80 now registered as a moped. The process was NOT smooth, however. Everything seemed fine until I got to the part where I was standing there at the counter saying "I would like to transfer the title and register my moped." That is when the clerk gave me an odd look and I immediately knew what was about to come out of his mouth. "It says here this thing is a motorcycle," he exclaims. I respond immediately by stating "that was true until this year when the cc limitation was increased to 100cc." He then interrupts with a "Yea, that doesn't mean it won't go over 30 mph." I then simply responded by stating "I know, it has a governor."

He then started the process of pulling up files on his pc, likely flagging my license for next time I get pulled over by the police. After some time passed, he printed out an affidavit for me to sign as affirmation that my Aero 80 does indeed met all requirements to be classified as a moped. I looked over it diligently, only to realize that 80% of the list was simply referrals such as "handlebars not exceeding __ and complies with michigan code bla bla" for each requirement.

I signed the affidavit, got my sticker, and left there feeling like I was violated and was possibly flagged for future hassling by the police. Overall, the process was nowhere near smooth, and 1 slip on words could likely mess up any future Aero moped registration attempts for others along with putting a targets on their backs. I might be over thinking this, but I really feel like what they did was unfair.

Has anybody ever actually driven a moped on a completely level surface? Roads dip and slant like no tomorrow as it is, even if only slightly. I remember my first moped which was a '78 50cc puch that went 25 mph on the most level road I could find, but then I was clocked going 55 down the biggest hill I could find. What is this 30 mph limit even there for anymore? It appears to be obsolete with the 2.0 HP limit no longer in effect.

Did anybody else have to sign an affidavit claiming their aero/elite 80 complied with all moped restrictions?
'09 Honda Metropolitan
'83 Honda Aero 80
swimmingfree
CBR1000RR
CBR1000RR

Post by swimmingfree »

i have seen scooter on craigslist that are 125cc that have a moped sticker on them .... im not sure what wood happen if you get pull over doing 30 on the flat or my self as well .... i have run in to a fue people on there scooter that are 50 cc and thay say there will do close to 45 stock ...
swimmingfree
handicap (dyslexia)
looking for
se50 crank...

SpreJunk 87elite in a spree body
ruckus variator , 3.5 tire , 1500 drive face spring , a 64 bbk ,
8 gram rollers, stock carb , after market air filter and 105 jet
Pancake Sauce
Goped
Goped

Post by Pancake Sauce »

swimmingfree wrote:i have seen scooter on craigslist that are 125cc that have a moped sticker on them .... im not sure what wood happen if you get pull over doing 30 on the flat or my self as well .... i have run in to a fue people on there scooter that are 50 cc and thay say there will do close to 45 stock ...
swimmingfree
Yea it's so true about the 50cc's going 40+ stock. I can name a few relatively current models that are expected to go that fast on level surfaces stock. 07-09 Metropolitans go 40-43 stock and other years do 35+. My friend's Yamaha C3 can go 43+ stock. I think Honda Ruckus have the same engine as Metropolitans and also go 35-45 stock for all the ones I have encountered. There are also a bunch of Piaggio Fly-50's being sold in my city and the 2 I have encountered went 40. One wasn't even tuned well and had terrible power. All the chinese ones shipped to your door claim 35+ and typically go 40+. The 50cc chinese scoot I bought a while back went 43-47 on semi-level surfaces. All of these scooter examples are either being sold in my area now or have been within the last 5 years.

By the way. I got my Aero out on the road and boy is it a smooth ride. I cant believe the handling and comfy posture achievable on the thing. It really only went about 40 indicated until it got warmed up. At one point I went WOT and managed 44-45 indicated on it but I much prefer a solid 35 mph for the smoothest ride and handling. I really like its power and hill climbing capability. There are a few problems with it at the moment. A wire is cut on the positive side of the battery and there is no fuse there. The lowbeam is burn out, as well as the dashboard light. Only the 2 rear turn signals light up and they don't blink. The box around the air filter is gone. Also, the front brake cable is very sticky. I saw new front cables on ebay for $15. I'm heading to the store right now to get some fuses and wiring.

I will likely post a topic about the repairs I need to do and add pics of the project. I'm hoping it is fully road worthy in the next few days but things come up.
'09 Honda Metropolitan
'83 Honda Aero 80
Trafficjamz
CBR1000RR
CBR1000RR

Post by Trafficjamz »

Pancake Sauce wrote: effect.

Did anybody else have to sign an affidavit claiming their aero/elite 80 complied with all moped restrictions?

Yes I have had to sign the paper stating that my scooter only goes 30 mph.

It really is no big deal. Just dont go over 30 mph when the police are around, and obey the speed limits of the road. :thumbwink:
new best 1/8th mile time 9.647 seconds @67.155 mph 310lbs total weight
Pancake Sauce
Goped
Goped

Post by Pancake Sauce »

Pancake Sauce wrote:
swimmingfree wrote:i have seen scooter on craigslist that are 125cc that have a moped sticker on them .... im not sure what wood happen if you get pull over doing 30 on the flat or my self as well .... i have run in to a fue people on there scooter that are 50 cc and thay say there will do close to 45 stock ...
swimmingfree
Yea it's so true about the 50cc's going 40+ stock. I can name a few relatively current models that are expected to go that fast on level surfaces stock. 07-09 Metropolitans go 40-43 stock and other years do 35+. My friend's Yamaha C3 can go 43+ stock. I think Honda Ruckus have the same engine as Metropolitans and also go 35-45 stock for all the ones I have encountered. There are also a bunch of Piaggio Fly-50's being sold in my city and the 2 I have encountered went 40. One wasn't even tuned well and had terrible power. All the chinese ones shipped to your door claim 35+ and typically go 40+. The 50cc chinese scoot I bought a while back went 43-47 on semi-level surfaces. All of these scooter examples are either being sold in my area now or have been within the last 5 years.

By the way. I got my Aero out on the road and boy is it a smooth ride. I cant believe the handling and comfy posture achievable on the thing. It really only went about 40 indicated until it got warmed up. At one point I went WOT and managed 44-45 indicated on it but I much prefer a solid 35 mph for the smoothest ride and handling. I really like its power and hill climbing capability. There are a few problems with it at the moment. A wire is cut on the positive side of the battery and there is no fuse there. The lowbeam is burn out, as well as the dashboard light. Only the 2 rear turn signals light up and they don't blink. The box around the air filter is gone. Also, the front brake cable is very sticky. I saw new front cables on ebay for $15. I'm heading to the store right now to get some fuses and wiring.

I will likely post a topic about the repairs I need to do and add pics of the project. I'm hoping it is fully road worthy in the next few days but things come up.

I figure I will just post here since I fixed basically everything on the Aero already. Posting here as an update on the situation since I don't have to make a thread about the repairs that needed to be done. I will edit in a photo tomorrow when its daylight. Battery works and has a fuse, and electric start works now. I angled my highbeam down for the time being but will attempt something better later. The front turn signals had the ground wires attached to the frame instead of the mounting bolts for the signal and there was corrosion on one of the front ones that needed cleaned for working signals (first time ever using a wiring diagram to fix something hehe). Replaced the brake cable with a random cable off of an extra set of forks the seller threw in (minimal rigging required). Heading out on the Aero now to go camping with family!
Attachments
aero side view campground.png
aero side view campground.png (254.01 KiB) Viewed 9827 times
'09 Honda Metropolitan
'83 Honda Aero 80