New Spree owner

The place to discuss rides, accessories, or whatever is tangentially Spree/Elite-related

Moderator: Moderator

phoenix02
Noob
Noob

New Spree owner

Post by phoenix02 »

Hello all!

I'm working out a deal for this old girl-
http://inlandempire.craigslist.org/bar/4682510562.html

I already have a project bike, a 1989 Elite 250 sitting in storage, but this came up right near me and I happen to have something the current owner is interested in trading for, so I thought it would be a fun little project to rebuild, have some fun with and move on to someone else to enjoy- we're planning a move to Tennessee next year, so I'm selling everything off. It'll be fun until then, though, I think. It's been sitting a while, so the reg is long out, if it was ever registered. I'm hoping there's not alot of back reg owed on it, or it'll turn into a parts heap. :(

I'm thinking, strip all the fairings to buff out and repaint, find turn indicators to put back on, replace seat, rebuild carb and hope it runs. :) It also needs keys, so I'll either try to have another set made up or replace the ignition and seat lock.

Any pointers or pitfalls I should be aware of with this little bike?

Thanks!
donut
Elite
Elite

Re: New Spree owner

Post by donut »

$50 tops.... but add up what you'll spend (even used) to get it running and looking ok...

no title? matters by state... either where you live now or are moving to... most states that require title are time consuming and costly to get the title...

I'd only buy this if I need certain parts ... as you might be upside down when complete... and then there's the title issue....

Finish that 250 and post some pics!
'86 Aero 50 (NB50)

'01 Yamaha Jog Nextzone
phoenix02
Noob
Noob

Post by phoenix02 »

Well, it seems like a basket case, but I'm trading a table saw I don't use for it. I have 4 or 5 table saws floating around- I'm a carpenter an avid tool packrat. So, cost to me is $0. The guy with the bike wants to get into woodworking, but can't afford a saw so it also helps someone else get into a hobby or some day profession that I derive much pleasure from. Also, it seems to be mostly mechanically complete, so worse case scenario if it's too far gone I can just put parts up for sale to help others get theirs running.

-Michael
phoenix02
Noob
Noob

Post by phoenix02 »

Oh, and I'm in California so the no title issue could be a problem.
motormike

Post by motormike »

...brutally deteriorated...don't waste time with panel painting...or spend any real money to "restore"
This Spree needs a miracle, and will never return any money that is spent on it.
IMHO.... :urban:
This comes from a guy who bought a running, riding 1986 Spree recently for $180...
paid $20 for a rear cable, and flipped it for $275....fyi
RideRed
<Gyro S><MB5><Honda Navi><Helix><Sym Wolf><Yamaha Razz><Honda CH150 Deluxe>
"Live Large - Ride Small"
phoenix02
Noob
Noob

Post by phoenix02 »

Thanks for the input, everyone! I think I'm going to roll the dice and pick it up to see how bad it is mechanically. The damage to the seat and fairings is par for the course around here. I'm in the high desert, where it's sunny year round and average 100-110 through the summer with intense UV. So, sun burn on the plastics and the deteriorated seat is expected if the thing sat outside a garage for 5 or more years.

Sometimes a silk purse can come out... but I'm going in with the assumption it'll be a sow's rear, not ear.

-Michael
patthesoundguy

Post by patthesoundguy »

It will be fun to play with. You can always go with out a rear rack ;-) and just use a piece of 1/2" pipe to mount the lights or flat bar. And the lights can be found pretty cheaply. I used to have a link to them for $10 for a pair can't find it at the moment though :-(
Dude! Ya Can't Fix Stupid!
84 Spree stock
84 Spree Dio AF18E MHR Cylinder Arrow Pipe 28mm OKO
80 Express, 47mm DR BBKit, Weak Ends Intake, Boyesen Dual stage reeds, 19mm Delorto carb, MLM pipe
79 Express
85 Aero 80 stock
84 elite 125 stock