Scooters for Daily drivers

The place to discuss rides, accessories, or whatever is tangentially Spree/Elite-related

Moderator: Moderator

bootz1
Goped
Goped

Scooters for Daily drivers

Post by bootz1 »

As I sit in the Uni library damp and pondering if its gonna stop raining before I go home Im wondering something:

Do many folks on here use their scooters as daily transport? Or is it just a toy?

would u take them out in the rain?

Ready steady... GO!
-1990 Honda DJ1-RR- a work in progress....

-1988-ish? Honda DJ1-R

-1980 Yamaha V50
Rip_City_Spree
CB900F
CB900F

Re: Scooters for Daily drivers

Post by Rip_City_Spree »

I would use mine pretty regularly if said scooter was running correctly. I have ridden in rain I tend to stay away from the cold weather riding. Would be riding more if it would cooperate.
01 Elite SR
polini corsa
Polini 26mm Carb
Naraku intake
Naraku sport variator
Currently 5g rollers
zx trans
Arrow
red contra with yellow clutch springs.
RIP CITY
RIP NO MERCY KERSEY
curtis966
Elite
Elite

Post by curtis966 »

Daily yes to a point. I don't ride under 60 degrees and never in the rain. More of an everyday/good weather toy :) Michigan makes it tough long winters are a real downer.
86 Aero 50,Polini 65cc BBK,malossi oring head,100 oct. 32:1
21mm OKO,Malossi Wild Lion exhaust,
Stock Ruck vari, malossi special belt,1.5k shoes,1k center,
aftermarket bell, front/rear metro wheels, TT vapor,
5in stretch on motor mount,280mm Shock.
veedubh20
CB900F
CB900F

Post by veedubh20 »

Get a Honda grom.
birdman
Spree
Spree

Post by birdman »

I ride everyday, unless its raining, then I take the bird cage
92 Yamaha Jog CY50
98 Yamaha Zuma
00 Honda Elite 50SR
82 Honda MB5
90 Honda NS50F
14 Yamaha FZ-09
16 Kawasaki Versys 650
Street Sweeper
BMX
BMX

Post by Street Sweeper »

I ride mine in most any weather. Back when I first bought it I couldn't wait till Spring, so I took it out in 29deg freezing rain weather.... Of course I don't do that anymore but rain and cold are not a problem I have ridden it up to Christmas break a couple of years and actually went out and warmed it up Thursday just to make sure she is ready to go. Pretty much my only rule is no recent standing snow cover on the roads. I've ridden MANY times when it was in the teens or twenties. I actually planned on starting a Cold weather riding thread to see what folks were gearing up with to make their trips. But we can save that for another post. Answering your question... Yes and Often. Just been a bit lazy in Jan. and Feb. But looking to get back on Hopefully next week. Oh yeah my riding takes place in GR, MI and lately Near CLE, OH.

I generally take a break in the sping when the potholes are at their worst. And pick it up after they have caught up a bit on patching the biggest of holes.
Wheelman-111

Post by Wheelman-111 »

Greetings:

I rode most days when work was a mere 5 miles away. "Tuning" on the ride home in case of failure. Couldn't get to work wet, so if forecast was 40% or more Flash rested.
Wheelman-111
Most of my money is spent on scooterparts. The rest is just wasted.
"ISO": '03 Vespa ET4 Malossi187 74MPH
Flash 9: 2001 Elite SR Contesta 72 ZX Tran, 9:1 Gears, Stock Airbox/Carb/Pipe 58.8 MPH
Punkin: 2010 Vespa/Malossi S78, 61MPH
bootz1
Goped
Goped

Post by bootz1 »

Great responses!

-1988-ish? Honda DJ1-R

-1980 Yamaha V50
maddog
CB900F
CB900F

Post by maddog »

Full time everyday rider since 1994, the money I saved was invested in the stock market!!!
some people dream of speed, i own your dreams!
Daremo
Noob
Noob

Post by Daremo »

I used to ride my 225cc Enduro throughout the year in Iowa in rain and even snow. People thought I was nuts but I used to ice race in MI a long time ago.
I now live in Southern California and plan to ride my SB50 the mile to work and back everyday.
patthesoundguy

Post by patthesoundguy »

Here in Nova Scotia Canada I ride my Aero 80 and stock spree starting in the spring as long as the roads are clear but not to work. then when the weater gets warmer in april I may blast to work if its not too crazy cold. Then May through October I ride the scooter to where ever I can within reason. If its not raining when I leave the house Ill take the scooter unless its going to pour any second. I dont mind putting the rain gear on to get home. I have been known to take some winter rides on my spree in Jan Feb when the roads were good with the temp at -18c or -0.4F. before I got my spree when I was totally broke and gas 1.50 per liter or 5.67$ per gallon for a summer I rode my gas bicycle chopper every day rain or shine at least 35km each way to work sometimes more. that would have been my spree if i had it then.
Dude! Ya Can't Fix Stupid!
84 Spree stock
84 Spree Dio AF18E MHR Cylinder Arrow Pipe 28mm OKO
80 Express, 47mm DR BBKit, Weak Ends Intake, Boyesen Dual stage reeds, 19mm Delorto carb, MLM pipe
79 Express
85 Aero 80 stock
84 elite 125 stock
DirtyE
Elite
Elite

Post by DirtyE »

I have kids. My scooter is just a toy. One day I would like to scoot to work and back year round.
98 Elite
4 strokes are for cars
Mini_Stroker305
Goped
Goped

Post by Mini_Stroker305 »

I pretty much get on my bike and ride for miles everyday unless it's a rainy day so I would consider mines a daily driver forsure :thumbwink:
96 Yamaha Jog Next Zone CY50
72cc Polini Evo 2
Ruima 41.4 Teflon ministroke
Yasuni C16
24mm Polini pwk
Malossi 8:1 Primary Gears
Malossi VL14 Reeds
Polini 360 Mani
Jaingwayne transmission
Michelin S1 tires 90/90/10
Hoca Racing Fan/Alternator kit
bootz1
Goped
Goped

Post by bootz1 »

graphite9 wrote:
veedubh20 wrote:Get a Honda grom.
My buddy has a new modded grom. I let him ride my dio, and he didn't want to switch back. The grom isn't much fun to ride, suprisingly.
What is a Honda Grom? lol feel like a noob haha
DirtyE wrote:I have kids. My scooter is just a toy. One day I would like to scoot to work and back year round.
The joys of being a grownup! So I keep getting told.....
patthesoundguy wrote:Here in Nova Scotia Canada I ride my Aero 80 and stock spree starting in the spring as long as the roads are clear but not to work. then when the weater gets warmer in april I may blast to work if its not too crazy cold. Then May through October I ride the scooter to where ever I can within reason. If its not raining when I leave the house Ill take the scooter unless its going to pour any second. I dont mind putting the rain gear on to get home. I have been known to take some winter rides on my spree in Jan Feb when the roads were good with the temp at -18c or -0.4F. before I got my spree when I was totally broke and gas 1.50 per liter or 5.67$ per gallon for a summer I rode my gas bicycle chopper every day rain or shine at least 35km each way to work sometimes more. that would have been my spree if i had it then.
Gas at $1.50 a litre??? THE DREAM!! Over in NZ its been 2 bux a litre for a couple of years now!! -18C??? Needs must tho aye! Dont think I could be out riding my scooter in that coldness hahah
Daremo wrote:I used to ride my 225cc Enduro throughout the year in Iowa in rain and even snow. People thought I was nuts but I used to ice race in MI a long time ago.
I now live in Southern California and plan to ride my SB50 the mile to work and back everyday.

Commitment! I admit when it gets a bit rainy im like eugh do i have too haha. and im forbidden from riding in snow lol
maddog wrote:Full time everyday rider since 1994, the money I saved was invested in the stock market!!!
So did you invest wisely, or is that why your still riding now?? haha

-1988-ish? Honda DJ1-R

-1980 Yamaha V50
birdman
Spree
Spree

Post by birdman »

A Grom is a joke dont even consider one unless your a ruckus only boy looking to move to the next level.
92 Yamaha Jog CY50
98 Yamaha Zuma
00 Honda Elite 50SR
82 Honda MB5
90 Honda NS50F
14 Yamaha FZ-09
16 Kawasaki Versys 650