Engine number and titling issue

The place to discuss rides, accessories, or whatever is tangentially Spree/Elite-related

Moderator: Moderator

joshjcomedy
Noob
Noob

Engine number and titling issue

Post by joshjcomedy »

I tried to register my scooter title in minnesota for my 83 nh80. After two years I never recieved it and I have since moved out of state to Illinois. I finally got a hold of someone at the state. They told me that my vin does not match my engine number. I never changed the engine or the crankcase nor did the person I purchased it from. I think when it got titled originally there was a mistake. Apparently I have to have a receipt for a new engine. Does anyone know what I can do? Anyone have similar experience? I would really like to ride this again in my state.
motormike

Re: Engine number and titling issue

Post by motormike »

Sux... :sad:
You will have to dig deeply into Illinois motor vehicle law to find a solution.
Some sympathetic clerk will surely know the proper steps to take.
Don't give up...I am sure there is a method of registering your bike legally.
Many people simply obtain a Vermont registration, then transfer to their home state.
It IS a proven method of side-stepping the red tape that haunts you...g'luck... :urban:
RideRed
<Gyro S><MB5><Honda Navi><Helix><Sym Wolf><Yamaha Razz><Honda CH150 Deluxe>
"Live Large - Ride Small"
curtis966
Elite
Elite

Post by curtis966 »

Run up to Michigan they will register it for you.
86 Aero 50,Polini 65cc BBK,malossi oring head,100 oct. 32:1
21mm OKO,Malossi Wild Lion exhaust,
Stock Ruck vari, malossi special belt,1.5k shoes,1k center,
aftermarket bell, front/rear metro wheels, TT vapor,
5in stretch on motor mount,280mm Shock.
Johnniespeed
Elite
Elite

Post by Johnniespeed »

Everyone of my old Honda scooters has the VIN stamped into the frame, it is THAT number that needs to match the title or registration. The engine number doesn't mean diddly squat.
The three scooters in my garage all have their original engines that were installed at the factory when new, none of those engine numbers match or have anything to do with the frame VIN number.
The person who you talked too, has been told the wrong information, so now he believes it to be the truth. You will have no success if you choose to deal with that person, simply go to another Secretary of State ( or DMV or whatever they call it in your state) and talk with a different person, even if you have to drive to another city.
Don't forget to bring a bill of sale, with sellers name, address and purchasers name, address, purchase price and dated. Don't scam on the purchase price, tell the truth. I don't care how you get that bill of sale or who writes it, make sure you have it and also take a picture of the stamped in VIN number on the scooter, take that picture with you along with the bill of sale.
I couldn't count how many times I have done battle with the secretary of state, but I know how to play their game now and I always win.
Here in Michigan I take one more piece of ammunition, I download the application for moped registration from MI dot GOV website, I bring that filled out form along with any old titles, old registrations, that EXTREMELY important proper bill of sale and the picture of the VIN.
I cannot stress how important it is to have an impeccable bill of sale, if you think it is unimportant or if you bring some sorry half-assed joke of a document, I doubt you will succeed.
1984 Aero 125 57 mph for sale.

Elite 150 64 mph for sale.

Elite 250 77 mph. for sale.

Red Honda Grom, modded to 250cc, 87 mph.

GSXR 1000 168 mph. My new favorite, scooters seems way too slow now.
motormike

Post by motormike »

I will second what johnniespeed says...In my 46 years of legal vehicular ownership of motorbikes, the engine number has never, ever, ever meant anything to the BMV...ONLY the frame or chassis VIN... :urban: ...fwiw
RideRed
<Gyro S><MB5><Honda Navi><Helix><Sym Wolf><Yamaha Razz><Honda CH150 Deluxe>
"Live Large - Ride Small"
Cubey
Spree
Spree

Post by Cubey »

When i got super cheap ($227/yr) full coverage+roadside insurance with Progressive, the rules say to have color photos of both sides of the bike AND a photo of the VIN number on the frame in case of any future claims. They say nothing about the engine VIN.
1985 Honda Gyro S (project bike, work in progress!)
1984 Honda Spree - Bought May 30, 2008 with 810.8 miles on it. (Sold with ~1600mi)
Others owned/rode/sold: '86 Helix trike, '07 Vino 125, '88 Elite 250
Dac wrote:Friends+your moped=BAD IDEA.
joshjcomedy
Noob
Noob

Post by joshjcomedy »

motormike wrote:I will second what johnniespeed says...In my 46 years of legal vehicular ownership of motorbikes, the engine number has never, ever, ever meant anything to the BMV...ONLY the frame or chassis VIN... :urban: ...fwiw
Thanks! Still digging into the issue. They said they are now researching. But looks like I have a couple of options if it doesn't pan out. Fingers crossed. Been itching to get riding all summer.