One-Day Spree Homemade Front Basket Project

The place to discuss rides, accessories, or whatever is tangentially Spree/Elite-related

Moderator: Moderator

vintagegarage
Elite
Elite

One-Day Spree Homemade Front Basket Project

Post by vintagegarage »

After trying for a week to get my new 1986 Spree running with no success, I was starting to get frustrated and ready to give up. I decided instead to take a break from debugging it, and do a quick one day project to put me in a better mood. After searching for a few weeks for a factory basket mount and basket, I decided to build my own, so that I would at least have a basket to use while continuing to search for an original one. I found these photos on the internet of what I think is the factory basket:

I believe all of them use the factory chrome mount that by itself is sometimes called the front rack. The third photo is pretty much the best for showing the mount.

The kind of factory rack I was looking for is this one:

I found a guy on ebay who seems to have an unlimited amount of "Honda" C70 baskets, and for a reasonable price. They have front "loops" at the top of the front edge, so they look a lot like the Spree factory basket and are smaller than the Aero 50 or Gyro NN50 front basket. In any event, I ordered one and it came in pretty quickly.. shipping is very prompt from that vendor. The basket itself falls short of true Honda quality in a number of ways, so it may be just a cheap made-in-China copy of a C70 basket... not sure about that. The white finish is rubber, instead of paint. The front name plate that is supposed to have the Honda sticker is the wrong shape. The main horizontal ribs don't really line up with each other where they join, the mounting plates are not lined up squarely with the basket, and the mounting hardware is laughably cheap and useless. The biggest problem is that the mounting plates that are part of the basket are on top of the wires, inside the basket, instead of being below the wires and outside of the basket. That means that the heads of any mounting bolts will stick out into the inside of the basket. However, since the original baskets are called unicorns on this site, I decided the cheap C70 basket would be better than nothing for mounting on the new Spree. Here is a listing to the ebay ad:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/HONDA-C70-PASSP ... 5e&vxp=mtr

I started the mounting project by bending the main u-shaped bracket out of 3/4 inch steel bar stock. This piece is most important in that it defines how far away the basket will be from the main front plastic. Note that the stock mounting bolts have a 1/8 inch shoulder on them so that the plastic "floats" and is not pinched by the mounting bolt. I made small tubular 1/8 spacers to fit over stock 6 mm flange bolts, to allow the plastic to float. I also rounded the ends of the bar stock to match the round relief in the plastic cover. The spacers go between the u-shaped bracket and the Spree frame and don't show in this photo:

The next step was to temporarily mount the C70 basket to measure the spacing of the top mount. The basket should be roughly parallel to the front plastic:

Since I wasn't planning to chrome plate the mount, I decided to skip the effort needed to form the mounting bracket out of a single piece of rod stock bent to shape as was done by the Honda factory. Instead, I decided to use the mounting design that was used by the factory on the Gyro NN50 basket, using two pieces of rod, bent to shape:

I also copied the top mount of the Gyro:

Next, I test fit all the pieces on the Spree and held everything in place with vise-grips. Note the additional piece of flat bar stock at the bottom that lines up with the bottom mounting plate on the C70 basket:

Then I carefully removed everything as a unit, and tig-welded all the parts together, and then painted the mount with white two-part epoxy paint:

Lastly, I fitted the basket and screwed it down. I threw way the hardware that came with the basket and used a piece of 3/4 flat bar stock for at the top mounting bar and painted it while I was painting the rack. That bar shows at the top of this next photo:

The final photo is the beauty shot showing what the basket looks like when complete:

At the end of the project, I went back trying to figure out why the Spree won't start. Still working on that and still frustrated, but that is a subject for a different post.
Wheelman-111

Re: One-Day Spree Homemade Front Basket Project

Post by Wheelman-111 »

Greetings:

Great project and attention to detail! Thanks for sharing.
Wheelman-111
Most of my money is spent on scooterparts. The rest is just wasted.
"ISO": '03 Vespa ET4 Malossi187 74MPH
Flash 9: 2001 Elite SR Contesta 72 ZX Tran, 9:1 Gears, Stock Airbox/Carb/Pipe 58.8 MPH
Punkin: 2010 Vespa/Malossi S78, 61MPH
patthesoundguy

Post by patthesoundguy »

Looks factory! nice work. I hope you can get that little guy on the go soon.
Dude! Ya Can't Fix Stupid!
84 Spree stock
84 Spree Dio AF18E MHR Cylinder Arrow Pipe 28mm OKO
80 Express, 47mm DR BBKit, Weak Ends Intake, Boyesen Dual stage reeds, 19mm Delorto carb, MLM pipe
79 Express
85 Aero 80 stock
84 elite 125 stock
vintagegarage
Elite
Elite

Post by vintagegarage »

Had nothing much to do a couple of days ago, so I built and installed two more baskets.. Same eBay baskets as I used on the Spree, but the mount needs to be slightly different for the Elite ES and the Elite S. The design was identical for the Elite ES and the S, so I was able to make and paint one for each in a single day, and then the next day, after the paint on the mounts had dried overnight, I mounted the baskets. So now I can make a basket mount in a half day.. lol.. My fleet is now fully basketed.. Need the baskets for carrying ice cream home here in Florida..

The spacing between the studs on the frame were only slightly different between the ES and the S, and a mount could be built that fits both if you made oval mounting holes. I made a mount for each with slightly different hole locations.

Here are the photos of the Elite ES mount and basket:

Here are photos of the Elite S mount and basket:

kevinv710
Spree
Spree

Post by kevinv710 »

look awesome Man, i hope you make it for sale someday, i will be your first customer Spree, Aero80, Yamaha Xc125
vintagegarage
Elite
Elite

Post by vintagegarage »

Had some wheel paint left over so I basketized the Elite SR I've been working on.. Motormike, all is now right with the world LOL..

vintagegarage
Elite
Elite

Post by vintagegarage »

Current basket situation in the shop.. no baskets on the twin 1987 Sprees as they both have factory pocket gloveboxes.

Wheelman.. to answer your question, I am obviously not married.. LOL

MrJumps
CB900F
CB900F

Post by MrJumps »

Your address and garage code would very appriciated ;D
Just kidding

That fleet is on point!

Swap 2 dios into that gyro ;P
1993 ch80, swapped with a ch250
2021 DRZ400sm :worship:
Wheelman-111

Post by Wheelman-111 »

Greetings:

Do tell about the Formula car hiding amidst the Sprees?
Wheelman-111
Flash 9: 2001 Elite SR Contesta 72 ZX Tran, 9:1 Gears, Stock Airbox/Carb/Pipe 58.8 MPH
Kustomkarma
Elite
Elite

Post by Kustomkarma »

I noticed that too. Is that a formula vee?
motormike

Post by motormike »

vintagegarage wrote:Had some wheel paint left over so I basketized the Elite SR I've been working on.. Motormike, all is now right with the world LOL..

Uh....yup. I tell you whut...
HankHill.jpg
HankHill.jpg (168.85 KiB) Viewed 9454 times
Now, whut about that there form-u-luh car ?
RideRed
<Gyro S><MB5><Honda Navi><Helix><Sym Wolf><Yamaha Razz><Honda CH150 Deluxe>
"Live Large - Ride Small"
vintagegarage
Elite
Elite

Post by vintagegarage »

LOL.. That cartoon is appropriate.. The car is a Quantum IV Formula S, powered by a 3 cylinder 2-stroke SAAB engine. See:

http://www.formulasaab.com/
motormike

Post by motormike »

Quite a collector's piece... :thumbwink:
One of 55 impressive...and faster than the Vee's.
Two-stroke SCCA racers doomed from the beginning... :sad:
Thanks for the share...I'm sure not very many of us ever knew... :urban:
RideRed
<Gyro S><MB5><Honda Navi><Helix><Sym Wolf><Yamaha Razz><Honda CH150 Deluxe>
"Live Large - Ride Small"
Kustomkarma
Elite
Elite

Post by Kustomkarma »

That's a rare critter for sure. I've always liked Saabs. We had a 900 SPG back in the 1980's. I thought I had too many Honda scooters - you've got quite the collection going on there.
Wheelman-111

Post by Wheelman-111 »

Greetings:

A Die-Hard Smoker; Jeez, even VG's Formula car is a 2-Stroke! But how come there's not a blue Plume from the exhaust in the video?!
Wheelman-111