AF05E Trying to get extra speed.

The place to discuss rides, accessories, or whatever is tangentially Spree/Elite-related

Moderator: Moderator

CambridgeRider
Noob
Noob

AF05E Trying to get extra speed.

Post by CambridgeRider »

So I've recently installed a 65cc Malossi big bore kit on my 1987 Honda Elite 50 The power is much more steady and it holds strong at 35 mph even going up hill and go as fast as 37 on flat ground. On a slight decline it'll reach a top speed of about 37 top 38 mph. There are no other modifications on my scoot. I'm very seriously considering swapping out my final drive gear and getting a performance muffler. I was hoping to get some insight as to what I would need to get my scoot up to a steady 42 mph on flat ground or faster!!!

Any input toward the end goal would be greatly appreciated.
Last edited by CambridgeRider on Fri Oct 23, 2015 5:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
motormike

Re: AF05E Trying to get extra speed.

Post by motormike »

Replace the variator ramp plate with a newer one that is un-restricted.
The '87 comes with a very restricted ramp plate.
Replace the muffler with a newer one that has a graduated diameter head pipe instead of the small, constant diameter headpipe that comes on the '87. Remove any restricting washer if present in the pipe.
RideRed
<Gyro S><MB5><Honda Navi><Helix><Sym Wolf><Yamaha Razz><Honda CH150 Deluxe>
"Live Large - Ride Small"
Wheelman-111

Post by Wheelman-111 »

Greetings:

My first Aero 50 ran 37 bone-stock. A big-bore kit won't increase speed as much as you'd think, but it should at least touch 40. Something isn't right. Before embarking on mods as suggested, check your compression first as it is easy to do. Then examine everything else from air filter to exhaust. Easy variator swap as Mike suggested will get 40-something, but only if your engine is otherwise sound.
Wheelman-111
Most of my money is spent on scooterparts. The rest is just wasted.
"ISO": '03 Vespa ET4 Malossi187 74MPH
Flash 9: 2001 Elite SR Contesta 72 ZX Tran, 9:1 Gears, Stock Airbox/Carb/Pipe 58.8 MPH
Punkin: 2010 Vespa/Malossi S78, 61MPH
benji
CB900F
CB900F

Post by benji »

This doesn't sound right to me either... my aero has the stock bore still and hits 40 w a variator,belt,clutch,n uni. Way faster downhill. You said you want a muffler, so I'm guessing it's still got the stock one? It might be clogged, or even restricted still.
Kevinstonge
Elite
Elite

Post by Kevinstonge »

A minarelli bore on an af05?? Did I miss something?
burnt_toast
Veteran OG
Veteran OG

Post by burnt_toast »

Kevinstonge wrote:A minarelli bore on an af05?? Did I miss something?
prob meant malossi..

and agree as others something aint right. my bone stock '87 se50 did 37mph sustained no problem, would touch 42 downhill and 45 down the steepest of the steep
projects galore :nerd:
CambridgeRider
Noob
Noob

Post by CambridgeRider »

Kevinstonge wrote:A minarelli bore on an af05?? Did I miss something?

Definitely meant Malossi lol just corrected myself.
CambridgeRider
Noob
Noob

Post by CambridgeRider »

Wheelman-111 wrote:Greetings:

My first Aero 50 ran 37 bone-stock. A big-bore kit won't increase speed as much as you'd think, but it should at least touch 40. Something isn't right. Before embarking on mods as suggested, check your compression first as it is easy to do. Then examine everything else from air filter to exhaust. Easy variator swap as Mike suggested will get 40-something, but only if your engine is otherwise sound.
Just did a compression test and it only got up to 50 psi :-( but I've seen a on youtube saying it should be done with a kick starter but mine doesn't work so I'm hoping this is the reason for the low psi on the test or that I otherwise did the test wrong somehow. My muffler is also slightly warped in the pipe and is pulling slightly on the cylinder which may be causing a leak in the cylinder but the piston and cylinder themselves are completely scar free no marks of any kind except for a little bit of carbon on the top which is normal. I've been thinking about getting the optional head for the BBK offered by ScooterSwapShop their description of it says it would up the compression.
superfast1234
BMX
BMX

Post by superfast1234 »

Learn how to do a comp test.
1man8scoots
CB900F
CB900F

Post by 1man8scoots »

superfast1234 wrote:Learn how to do a comp test.
For one you don't need to use a kicker to do a comp test. What about bikes that don't have a kicker? I guess you can't do a compression test on them? Think again.
For two, until you show any proof of you owning a scooter anything you say is filed away in the "fiction" department.
1man8scoots
CB900F
CB900F

Post by 1man8scoots »

CambridgeRider wrote:

Just did a compression test and it only got up to 50 psi :-( but I've seen a on youtube saying it should be done with a kick starter but mine doesn't work so I'm hoping this is the reason for the low psi on the test or that I otherwise did the test wrong somehow. My muffler is also slightly warped in the pipe and is pulling slightly on the cylinder which may be causing a leak in the cylinder but the piston and cylinder themselves are completely scar free no marks of any kind except for a little bit of carbon on the top which is normal. I've been thinking about getting the optional head for the BBK offered by ScooterSwapShop their description of it says it would up the compression.
It might be low if you have soft seized it. I see you said they're scar free but how are the rings? Try this method for bikes with out kickers.
Use your starter for 5 seconds with out opening the throttle and then hold wide open the throttle and crank it for 10 secomds, release the throttle and crank it for 5 seconds then go wide open for 10 seconds. That should give you your max compression. It works on any engine that does not have a kick starter.
All I have to say is this, if you needed a kick starter to get your compression then every car on the road today would be incapable of having a compression test done.
Wheelman-111

Post by Wheelman-111 »

Greetings:

Compression will be the same by kick or by e-starter. Reeds and pipe on, carb removed or held wide open for a true read. If the filter is clogged or any leaks exist, including a failed reed valve, pressure will show low. If not, Pop the head off and look?
Wheelman-111
Most of my money is spent on scooterparts. The rest is just wasted.
"ISO": '03 Vespa ET4 Malossi187 74MPH
Flash 9: 2001 Elite SR Contesta 72 ZX Tran, 9:1 Gears, Stock Airbox/Carb/Pipe 58.8 MPH
Punkin: 2010 Vespa/Malossi S78, 61MPH
CambridgeRider
Noob
Noob

Post by CambridgeRider »

graphite9 wrote:your probably using the wrong type of tester. A bike will not fire with 50psi. Period. Use that tester on a known running machine. Your comp is probably fine.

Im suprised nobody mentioned the variator. You could have crazy heavy, or light rollers in there. Ditch the vari for a polini one, and you'll pick up 5-8mph right off the bat.

Did you jet the bike properly with the new bore? How is your belt?

And 1man can correct me on this, but I was told that a combustion won't occur with less than 9x psi. So if your reading less than 90-something, and your bike runs, its the wrong tester, or/and your not doing it correctly. You'll get it!
What weight roller would you recommend for the rollers?
CambridgeRider
Noob
Noob

Post by CambridgeRider »

1man8scoots wrote:
CambridgeRider wrote:

It might be low if you have soft seized it. I see you said they're scar free but how are the rings? Try this method for bikes with out kickers.
Use your starter for 5 seconds with out opening the throttle and then hold wide open the throttle and crank it for 10 secomds, release the throttle and crank it for 5 seconds then go wide open for 10 seconds. That should give you your max compression. It works on any engine that does not have a kick starter.
All I have to say is this, if you needed a kick starter to get your compression then every car on the road today would be incapable of having a compression test done.

Thanks I'll definitely try that!!
benji
CB900F
CB900F

Post by benji »

Ya, I agree on the variator. Some one packed mine full of some kind of axle grease years ago and it wouldn't shift right and vibrated like crazy when I first brought it home. My brother opened the case while I was at work and found a mess haha. He cleaned it w gas but I ended up just buying a malossi kit from sss. Loving it.