Hey everyone! Can a Spree be turned into a Nifty Fifty?

The place to discuss rides, accessories, or whatever is tangentially Spree/Elite-related

Moderator: Moderator

mhardgrove
Noob
Noob

Hey everyone! Can a Spree be turned into a Nifty Fifty?

Post by mhardgrove »

Hey all, I am looking for a winter project on the cheap and I found an 87 Spree that's not running but looks to be in good condition, and I'm considering getting it for *. When I was 9 years old in 1988 I collected cans, had a elderly neighbor that had a mint 1985 Spree sitting in her garage, and I asked what she wanted for it not thinking for a second that she would sell it. Ended up getting it for a cool $30, no lie. Found out later she won it in a raffle and didn't want it. It had less than 15 miles on it. Collected more cans for a battery and off I went! I was the baddest kid in town with my cherry red Spree. I would hook a rope to the back rack and tow my buddies bikes behind. How I didn't get killed I will never know. Sold it years later, still in great condition, for a few hundred bucks. I saw the Craigslist ad and it brought back all sorts of childhood memories!

Anyhow, doing a bit of research, I see that the Nifty Fifty was based on this design, and apart from the round headlight it looks like its the same from what I could see. I know that the Nifty Fifty wasn't sold in the states, but what are the differences between these two scooters? If it's just the headlight assembly and handlebar plastics plus lights from the bottom of the bars, is there anyone that sells the parts to convert the square headlight of the Spree to the round of the Nifty Fifty?

If I decide to keep it as is I would like to obtain new Spree stickers, anyone sell those (or Nifty Fifty ones if I turn it into a clone)?

Thanks!
kuromi
Spree
Spree

Re: Hey everyone! Can a Spree be turned into a Nifty Fifty?

Post by kuromi »

I'm thinking of getting Nifty 50 bars for my Mini Melody as I like the more Italian (i.e. vespa rip off) look and I'm running Spree forks.

The Spree (Nq50 '84/ '85 / '86 & Nq50d '86) all share the same handle bars.

The 87 NQ50 had two different types of handlebar depending on serial number
(See http://www.cmsnl.com/honda-nq50-spree-1 ... ml#results)

You may need to get hold of the whole bar assembly - the 87 has same fork stem as the 85 so logic would say the bars are interchangable (again source is from cmsnl.com part numbers)

There's a few members from New Zealand here with Nifty 50's who might be able to give you better info.
1983 Melody Deluxe II / ND50MC
1984 Melody Mini / NP50D
1979 Simson Schwalbe KR51/1 (think 2 wheel trabant/ East German Honda Cub)
motormike

Post by motormike »

Enjoy the scooter, most importantly.
Some of our NZ members are often checking in here and can help you with your quest to clone the Nifty 50.
The JDM models always seem to appeal to us in USA because they are the "forbidden fruit"...and usually better styling.
RideRed
<Gyro S><MB5><Honda Navi><Helix><Sym Wolf><Yamaha Razz><Honda CH150 Deluxe>
"Live Large - Ride Small"
Ultraliner

Post by Ultraliner »

Check out the buy/sell site over here in NZ www.trademe.co.nz, a couple of guys on there have listings for wrecking Nifty 50's from time to time and might be able to help you out with all the cosmetic stuff you'd need to do it
Pineapplegti
Elite
Elite

Post by Pineapplegti »

Mini melody plastic is completely different.. The floor holes dont line up etc
78 Kromag. (Briton Bee) .. Under the knife.. Derbi pyramid port dual variated
78 flying dutchman.. e50 swap. mlm pipe custom tank seat.. gila kit
85 Honda spree . Af16 swap joerock mhr mini stroke scorpion pipe.
kuromi
Spree
Spree

Post by kuromi »

Cheers for the heads up on the full plastics, Pineapple.

Probably just try and get the handlebar plastics as I'm already using Spree-like forks.
1983 Melody Deluxe II / ND50MC
1984 Melody Mini / NP50D
1979 Simson Schwalbe KR51/1 (think 2 wheel trabant/ East German Honda Cub)