Chipping panel repair?

The place to discuss rides, accessories, or whatever is tangentially Spree/Elite-related

Moderator: Moderator

NB50clonePGO6GOD
Goped
Goped

Chipping panel repair?

Post by NB50clonePGO6GOD »

Anyone know if using steel stik by jb weld is a good idea to repair missing chips from my front panels photos coming soon.

Fender crack:
https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B53YuU ... cslist_api

Corner sides of panal chips:

Hot glue sounds obtuse or any other garbage like liquids.
People playing with my clone I let it slide with em, still tipping on 3.0's belt ramping the CVT ON PGOS!

Too quick, TURN UP!
MrJumps
CB900F
CB900F

Re: Chipping panel repair?

Post by MrJumps »

I would personaly use fibreglass and mold all new plastics and go way over board, which is why I convinced myself to leave it as is.
1993 ch80, swapped with a ch250
2021 DRZ400sm :worship:
NB50clonePGO6GOD
Goped
Goped

MrJumps wrote:I would personaly use fibreglass and mold all new plastics and go way over board, which is why I convinced myself to leave it as is.

Build my own panel sounds a bit hard just want these OEM Taiwan r.o.cs to look good paints flawless
People playing with my clone I let it slide with em, still tipping on 3.0's belt ramping the CVT ON PGOS!

Too quick, TURN UP!
Meloshameless
Elite
Elite

Post by Meloshameless »

For just small chips, use bondo, then sand and re paint. Theres a reason its used in autp body repair. If its a large chip or hole, use drywall fiberglass tape behind the hole so the bondo has something to hold onto, then sand and re paint..
2000 Honda SR (purple swurp)
corsa
naruku
polini 21 cp 36/106 pod filter
polini vari 5.5 gram
zx trans
Polini evo2 clutch/bell yellow springs (slacked) yellow contra
Yasuni C16
stock crank/gears=wheelie machine
70 mph/12,470 rpm Trail tech vapor verified
NB50clonePGO6GOD
Goped
Goped

Rrr if I sand it might as well repaint the whole front end. No sense in driven naked raw.I'll probably change paint after going to dmv. Bad enough they want me to drive it there because its been off the roaster since 96.

Too quick, TURN UP!
patthesoundguy

Post by patthesoundguy »

You can always heat gun melt some mesh in from behind the cracks to hold them in place. I build in holes and missing pieces in plastic with super glue a lot of the time.
Dude! Ya Can't Fix Stupid!
84 Spree stock
84 Spree Dio AF18E MHR Cylinder Arrow Pipe 28mm OKO
80 Express, 47mm DR BBKit, Weak Ends Intake, Boyesen Dual stage reeds, 19mm Delorto carb, MLM pipe
79 Express
85 Aero 80 stock
84 elite 125 stock
NB50clonePGO6GOD
Goped
Goped

patthesoundguy wrote:You can always heat gun melt some mesh in from behind the cracks to hold them in place. I build in holes and missing pieces in plastic with super glue a lot of the time.

I heard there's a product like plastic dip and you use aluminium vent tape to form new or resin comes in mini containers or I can take a old piece of white abs shave it down to shape or melt it on foil tape.

I like the idea of melt to mold eventually I will be working on cone head lights like ruckas except I will have them molded in from the inside. There IS alot of space between the front panel and glove box.

Wish I could take the old 90s accord flip lights and mold it in the scooter lol

Since its a mutt might as well make a good one.

Too quick, TURN UP!
52much
Spree
Spree

Post by 52much »

:coolcruise: I have been repairing panels from 6 elites in prep for paint. Grind the back of the crack down to clean plastic. Cut fiberglass mat a little smaller than the grind spot. Mix 1/4 oz. resin with 5 drops of hardener. I mix in small 6 oz plastic cups with a Popsicle stick. Put the resin over the ground area with the Popsicle stick. Then put the mat over the resin. Put more resin over the mat to saturate. You can also smooth out with wax paper. Make sure the crack is perfectly aligned. I use small c clamp or alligator clips. After the back is set. You can work on the front.
motormike

Post by motormike »

52much wrote::coolcruise: I have been repairing panels from 6 elites in prep for paint. Grind the back of the crack down to clean plastic. Cut fiberglass mat a little smaller than the grind spot. Mix 1/4 oz. resin with 5 drops of hardener. I mix in small 6 oz plastic cups with a Popsicle stick. Put the resin over the ground area with the Popsicle stick. Then put the mat over the resin. Put more resin over the mat to saturate. You can also smooth out with wax paper. Make sure the crack is perfectly aligned. I use small c clamp or alligator clips. After the back is set. You can work on the front.
Very good comment 52much... :thumbwink:
Short, concise, complete.
RideRed
<Gyro S><MB5><Honda Navi><Helix><Sym Wolf><Yamaha Razz><Honda CH150 Deluxe>
"Live Large - Ride Small"
NB50clonePGO6GOD
Goped
Goped

52much wrote::coolcruise: I have been repairing panels from 6 elites in prep for paint. Grind the back of the crack down to clean plastic. Cut fiberglass mat a little smaller than the grind spot. Mix 1/4 oz. resin with 5 drops of hardener. I mix in small 6 oz plastic cups with a Popsicle stick. Put the resin over the ground area with the Popsicle stick. Then put the mat over the resin. Put more resin over the mat to saturate. You can also smooth out with wax paper. Make sure the crack is perfectly aligned. I use small c clamp or alligator clips. After the back is set. You can work on the front.
Nice if you can send me s diy test piece clip that would help a lot I am auto body illiterate a bit memicking process via video would do best would i also need to tack the fiber glass? Almost ready i have to install a adjudtable cdi to pass as a scooter according to rcw email it says:

"From: Equipment

March 9, 2016

This is in response to your e-mail.

A scooter by definition in Washington State would be either considered a moped or a motorcycle depending on how fast the vehicle travels and would have to be licensed as such. If the vehicle has an engine size greater than 50 cc or travels more than 35 mph it should be licensed as a motorcycle. Motorcycles are allowed to travel on roadways with speed limits of greater than 35 mph but requires the operator of the vehicle to have a valid motorcycle endorsement in order to operate it. If it does not go 35 mph and has an engine less than 50 cc it would be considered a moped and the operator would have to have a valid drivers license to operate it.

If you seek clarification regarding the intent of the law or would like the law to be changed, you would need to contact your local legislator. Legislative contacts may be found online at http://app.leg.wa.gov/DistrictFinder/. "

Thank you for your inquiry.

Sincerely,

Equipment

Sent: Wednesday March 09, 2016 10:53 AM
To: Equipment
Subject: Gas scooter laws on 50cc's
Wheelman-111

Post by Wheelman-111 »

Greetings:

Remember we are dealing with molded ABS plastic, not fiberglass. It has been my experience that it's difficult to get any resin to adhere to this material for very long. Neither Polyester (resin and the stuff in Bondo) nor West System epoxy sticks very well, and eventually lifts off the ABS at the edges and fails. Here is a method I used on 1987 Aero panels in 2008. Unfortunately the pics can't be retrieved, but the text tells the tale. ABS and/or PVC cement DOES bond right into the ABS plastic and the resultant repair is strong, as long as you Acetone off the paint if the panel has been repainted in the past.
Wheelman-111
Most of my money is spent on scooterparts. The rest is just wasted.
"ISO": '03 Vespa ET4 Malossi187 74MPH
Flash 9: 2001 Elite SR Contesta 72 ZX Tran, 9:1 Gears, Stock Airbox/Carb/Pipe 58.8 MPH
Punkin: 2010 Vespa/Malossi S78, 61MPH
NB50clonePGO6GOD
Goped
Goped

I'll see you all at Lowes, time to melt some plastic down permanent fixes only.

Something gone stick to this sob I know steel stik will due to its hardened composure, it hardens like a lightweight plastic rock.
Last edited by NB50clonePGO6GOD on Thu Mar 10, 2016 11:00 am, edited 3 times in total.
NB50clonePGO6GOD
Goped
Goped

I'll see you all at Lowes, time to melt some plastic down permanent fixes only.
52much
Spree
Spree

Post by 52much »

:coolcruise: Above I said how to patch a crack from the back. When the back is done the crack should be aligned. First grind away the paint over the crack about 1" either side of the crack. Grove out the crack with a burr. Next drill 1/8" holes on either sides of the crack, grove across the crack connecting the 1/8" holes. It ends up looking like shoelaces. Mix up resin and put in holes and groves. Then put some mat over the laces. When you sand it down you have to leave a thin layer over the repair. And blend it back in with some bondo type product.
NB50clonePGO6GOD
Goped
Goped

52much wrote::coolcruise: Above I said how to patch a crack from the back. When the back is done the crack should be aligned. First grind away the paint over the crack about 1" either side of the crack. Grove out the crack with a burr. Next drill 1/8" holes on either sides of the crack, grove across the crack connecting the 1/8" holes. It ends up looking like shoelaces. Mix up resin and put in holes and groves. Then put some mat over the laces. When you sand it down you have to leave a thin layer over the repair. And blend it back in with some bondo type product.

Any failures of repairs wheels claims abs doesn't stick stuff well.

Too quick, TURN UP!