Bike won't move , idles great!! But won't move!

The place to discuss rides, accessories, or whatever is tangentially Spree/Elite-related

Moderator: Moderator

Chrisnycspree
BMX
BMX

Bike won't move , idles great!! But won't move!

Post by Chrisnycspree »

Hey fellas I'm back again!! Got spree idling great! Tire moves when on stand!!! Once I sit on it..it won't go anywhere? If the belt was bad , the tire wouldn't spin I assume? Your input, as always is greatly appricated!!
Wheelman-111

Re: Bike won't move , idles great!! But won't move!

Post by Wheelman-111 »

Greetings:

Tire movement with the rubber off the road will occur due to bearing drag between the clutch shaft and the pulley assembly alone. Your belt is turning the pulleys, but methinks the clutch is either worn or seized so the shoes don't swing out as the revs climb. Disassemble and assess.
Wheelman-111
Most of my money is spent on scooterparts. The rest is just wasted.
"ISO": '03 Vespa ET4 Malossi187 74MPH
Flash 9: 2001 Elite SR Contesta 72 ZX Tran, 9:1 Gears, Stock Airbox/Carb/Pipe 58.8 MPH
Punkin: 2010 Vespa/Malossi S78, 61MPH
Chrisnycspree
BMX
BMX

Post by Chrisnycspree »

This is going to be interesting!!! If I were to replace the clutch I should be good to go? Thank you for your help
motormike

Post by motormike »

Chrisnycspree wrote:This is going to be interesting!!! If I were to replace the clutch I should be good to go? Thank you for your help
The answer is YES, but only if the clutch is the problem.
Dis-assemble and assess = as sir Wheelieman says.
RideRed
<Gyro S><MB5><Honda Navi><Helix><Sym Wolf><Yamaha Razz><Honda CH150 Deluxe>
"Live Large - Ride Small"
Chrisnycspree
BMX
BMX

Post by Chrisnycspree »

Thanks fellas!!
Chrisnycspree
BMX
BMX

Post by Chrisnycspree »

It's been brought to my attention..that my carb isn't running right?...bc I'm premixing with two stroke injection...the reason why is I wasn't sure if oil pump was working right....now I know it is I'm going to refill tank with fresh gas....would this be a reason??? Thanks in advance
motormike

Post by motormike »

Chrisnycspree wrote:It's been brought to my attention..that my carb isn't running right?...bc I'm premixing with two stroke injection...the reason why is I wasn't sure if oil pump was working right....now I know it is I'm going to refill tank with fresh gas....would this be a reason??? Thanks in advance
No, your rich mixture would not be the reason the scooter doesn't move. Inspect CVT.
RideRed
Chrisnycspree
BMX
BMX

Post by Chrisnycspree »

Thank you!! I'll take a look this week! Appricate your help
Wheelman-111

Post by Wheelman-111 »

Greetings:

Adding a double-shot of oil makes the mixture lean, not rich; less fuel for the air inhaled. It is kind of tempting to think of extra oil being... uh, Richer, but the terms are defined by the proportions of fuel and air alone. The oil displaces some of that fuel.

Now, there may be two problems. Either remove the pump and fit a plug in its place, or drain the fuel and replace with fresh gasoline - without adding oil. If the engine is revving up and making noise without consequence, the clutch or something in the drive-train isn't working properly.
Wheelman-111
Most of my money is spent on scooterparts. The rest is just wasted.
"ISO": '03 Vespa ET4 Malossi187 74MPH
Flash 9: 2001 Elite SR Contesta 72 ZX Tran, 9:1 Gears, Stock Airbox/Carb/Pipe 58.8 MPH
Punkin: 2010 Vespa/Malossi S78, 61MPH
motormike

Post by motormike »

Wheelman-111 wrote:Greetings:

Adding a double-shot of oil makes the mixture lean, not rich;
Yes, I recall the recent discussion on this point.
I was calling the FUEL "rich" in oil content, making it a "rich" mixture of oil and gasoline, tyvm... :urban:
RideRed
Chrisnycspree
BMX
BMX

Post by Chrisnycspree »

Thanks fellas! I'm having problems getting bike to turn over now..it's starts, bogs, shuts off, starts bogs shuts off...floods!! I'm going to take carb apart this weekend and get back to you guys!! Thanks again for the help!!! Any input is great!!
Chrisnycspree
BMX
BMX

Post by Chrisnycspree »

I'm back fellas!! Bike is spitting oil out exhaust...then boogs out after a few minutes ...then floods..starts boogs floods...I cleaned carb out this weekend? Should I clean it again? I have new air filter..I'm lost in the sauce gents lol
Chrisnycspree
BMX
BMX

Post by Chrisnycspree »

I'm getting a very weak spark...I'm waiting on new coil to come ..I have new spark plug in now...
tazland001
Board Supporter
Board Supporter

Post by tazland001 »

Did you test the coil or did you just guess?

To address the first question. Sounds like you need to adjust your needle. So here is how the needle works.The position of the needle clip and the size of the needle effects the engine from 1/4 to 3/4 throttle, after that the size of the mainjet takes control. The thickness of the needle controls how much fuel is allowed through the mainjet and into the mixture that will end up in the engine. The thinner part of the needle will make a richer mixture, the thicker part of the the needle will lean the mixture. You sound rich. If your getting sponge when trying to throttle up your rich. So move you needle position and see if that helps.

Now to the second problem. If you see oil spitting out the exhaust it sounds like the bike may have sat for a while. If it did sit for a while the engine prob had oil in it. When you started it the oil was pushed into the muffler and now is leaking out the tip of the muffler. All that oil can foul a plug. I see you have a new plug. Did you put the new plug in before it was spitting and sputtering or after?

Taz
Chrisnycspree
BMX
BMX

Post by Chrisnycspree »

Thank you for your response! I put the new plug in after I noticed it was spitting oil...then put old one back in...I tested both spark plugs..both have very weak spark, I'm going to try to replace coil...bike was sitting for years..thought I had it running , until I sat on it and it reved up but didn't move..and now my new problems lol thanks for your help