??? Anybody have a better link so I can restore this POS

The place to discuss rides, accessories, or whatever is tangentially Spree/Elite-related

Moderator: Moderator

eclark5483
CB900F
CB900F

??? Anybody have a better link so I can restore this POS

Post by eclark5483 »

Hi all, first post here ( :newb: ). So I got this 86 Spree from an auction a couple weeks ago and I want to fix it up for my daughter who has Autism. Actually, I bought her a brand new Tao Tao ATM50-A1 but I want her to first learn on the POS Spree since it's all run down and beat up. After she transitions over to her Tao Tao, I plan on taking the Spree, tossing it in the garage and doing an overhaul and repaint of it, and even pimp it out a bit with a wind shield and radio/mp3 player mirrors.

But anyways... doing some work on it at the moment to just get the d*** thing running. As far as I can tell, it has been sitting in a garage for over 15 years, so of course the gas lines are gunked up and what have you. It DOES have compression, so I am optimistic that I will get it to start. So as I start my venture, I decided to look around for OEM parts. One of the first things I noticed on it, is that the bolt that goes right below the seat and connects the 2 side panels in front was missing... no biggy... or so I thought. So I do a quick google search and find a distributor that has that simple, cheap bolt which comes to a "WHOPPING" .74 cents. Only thing is... Shipping and Handling is $14.95??? WOW, SERIOUSLY??? $14.95 for a * .74 cent bolt?? Uhm, NO THANKS. There has GOT TO BE better then that out there for Part Number: 93404-06016-00. It's a 6X16, I am assuming I can probably just pick one up at my hardware store... that aside, I am wondering if someone has some better leads on OEM parts.

Kinda looking forward to restoring this POS Spree. It's a smaller motorcycle then what I am used to working on ( I work for Polaris Industries doing Victory & Indian motorcycles), but it all seems so simple, how could I pass up the fun?? Just don't wanna spend a fortune on such a simple project. Need better parts connections... thanks.
Attachments
bs.jpg
bs.jpg (79.91 KiB) Viewed 7534 times
eclark5483
CB900F
CB900F

Re: *??? Anybody have a better link so I can restore this PO

Post by eclark5483 »

Here is what the Spree looks like now, I guess you can call it the BEFORE picture.
Attachments
before.jpg
before.jpg (177.81 KiB) Viewed 7533 times
MrJumps
CB900F
CB900F

Post by MrJumps »

It probably needs new tires and tubes, so this wohld be a good time to switch to a rear 2.75 x 10 and front 2.75 x 10 and just order that with the bolt and shipping will be a better deal. I can almost 100% garentee those current wheels are super unsafe.
1993 ch80, swapped with a ch250
2021 DRZ400sm :worship:
patthesoundguy

Post by patthesoundguy »

Jumps couldn't be more right on the tires! Those look to be the stock 30 year old rubber on that little fella. The rubber will be hard and not have the grip in a panic stop situation or a harder turn. Go over the scooter from top to bottom start at the fuel tank. Lots of info and help in spree resurection here ;-) As for that bolt, you sure can grab that local at your favorite fastener supply wether it be the hardware store or an actual fastener shop, it's just a 6mm bolt. I'm using a body bolt from a pocket bike that held the plastic on, it has a huge head on it with a rubber washer. You don't have to use a rubber washer but it's a great touch to make the tabs last. Home depot carries all the rubber washers and hardware, at least they do here in Canada. I would check here on the forum on how to check to if your spree is an Iowa spree, seeing that you are in Iowa that's a pretty good chance. Iowa sprees are restricted with a washer in the exhaust and a smaller main jet, 65 where the other sprees have a 68 jet. The restriction may be great for a younger rider bu if you want to pimp it ou and drive it around you may want to open the exhaust and swap the main jet to get the extra get up and go. You will fun with that spree :-)
Dude! Ya Can't Fix Stupid!
84 Spree stock
84 Spree Dio AF18E MHR Cylinder Arrow Pipe 28mm OKO
80 Express, 47mm DR BBKit, Weak Ends Intake, Boyesen Dual stage reeds, 19mm Delorto carb, MLM pipe
79 Express
85 Aero 80 stock
84 elite 125 stock
MrJumps
CB900F
CB900F

Post by MrJumps »

You can also do a bbk, gears, and a carb kit, and even a pipe, if you really wanted to pimp it out.
1993 ch80, swapped with a ch250
2021 DRZ400sm :worship:
motormike

Re: ??? Anybody have a better link so I can restore this POS

Post by motormike »

Don't come here telling us you work on Victory and Indian motorcycles, then tell us you need help finding a 6x16 bolt.
You don't need a better Link.
Links don't repair motorcycles.
Guys with wrenches do.
RideRed
<Gyro S><MB5><Honda Navi><Helix><Sym Wolf><Yamaha Razz><Honda CH150 Deluxe>
"Live Large - Ride Small"
kuromi
Spree
Spree

Post by kuromi »

Any local hardware store should be able to sort you out with bolts and washers.
They'd probably even give you one for nothing.

If it's a POS don't waste money on NOS
1983 Melody Deluxe II / ND50MC
1984 Melody Mini / NP50D
1979 Simson Schwalbe KR51/1 (think 2 wheel trabant/ East German Honda Cub)
eclark5483
CB900F
CB900F

Post by eclark5483 »

motormike wrote:Don't come here telling us you work on Victory and Indian motorcycles, then tell us you need help finding a 6x16 bolt.
Guys with wrenches do.
The bolt wasn't the issue I had, and was the LEAST of my issues. It was the shipping costs. If you hadn't noticed, finding parts for a 30 year old scooter at a reasonable price is what I am wanting.
eclark5483
CB900F
CB900F

Post by eclark5483 »

patthesoundguy wrote:I would check here on the forum on how to check to if your spree is an Iowa spree, seeing that you are in Iowa that's a pretty good chance. Iowa sprees are restricted with a washer in the exhaust and a smaller main jet, 65 where the other sprees have a 68 jet. The restriction may be great for a younger rider bu if you want to pimp it ou and drive it around you may want to open the exhaust and swap the main jet to get the extra get up and go. You will fun with that spree :-)
This is good to know, thanks. And yes, it is for sure a 100% Iowa Spree. And that was actually going to be another question I had, what was the difference between a regular one and an Iowa one.. well, now I know. I was already planning on a performance CDI when I rebuild the engine, good to know other aspects about it before I even lift it up on to the stand and start tearing into it. Thanks.
MrJumps
CB900F
CB900F

Post by MrJumps »

eclark5483 wrote:
motormike wrote:Don't come here telling us you work on Victory and Indian motorcycles, then tell us you need help finding a 6x16 bolt.
Guys with wrenches do.
The bolt wasn't the issue I had, and was the LEAST of my issues. It was the shipping costs. If you hadn't noticed, finding parts for a 30 year old scooter at a reasonable price is what I am wanting.
The cdi is not restricted.

"If it's a POS don't waste money on NOS"

We are trying to tell you that it is an "6x16 bolt" and that it can be brought at any place that carries any hardware bits.

And the spree isn't a POS, its only a POS if you treat it like it is, the bike is only good as the rider.

Go buy new tires, if your putting your daughter on it, and go buy the bolt at lowes.

Drill out the exhaust and order an jet from treatland.

OEM parts are gonna cost money, you should knows this if you work wit Indians and Victory cycles.

Good Day' Mate
eclark5483
CB900F
CB900F

Post by eclark5483 »

patthesoundguy wrote:Jumps couldn't be more right on the tires! Those look to be the stock 30 year old rubber on that little fella. The rubber will be hard and not have the grip in a panic stop situation or a harder turn.
Wouldn't surprise me in the least if those are the original tires. They looked pretty worn, so yep, was planning on changing those out too. For as long as it was sitting, I was shocked they even held air.
motormike

Post by motormike »

eclark5483 wrote:finding parts for a 30 year old scooter at a reasonable price is what I am wanting.

Let me Google that for you... :smile:
But seriously, eBay and this forum are your two primary sources for Spree parts.
RideRed
motormike

Post by motormike »

eclark5483 wrote: I was already planning on a performance CDI
Nobody has ever reported any benefit from using the aftermarket "performance" CDI in Spree...the OEM is always considered best.
RideRed
eclark5483
CB900F
CB900F

Post by eclark5483 »

MrJumps wrote: The cdi is not restricted.

"If it's a POS don't waste money on NOS"

We are trying to tell you that it is an "6x16 bolt" and that it can be brought at any place that carries any hardware bits.

And the spree isn't a POS, its only a POS if you treat it like it is
Actually, I'm only calling it a POS because of it's current state. Believe it or not it actually looked WORSE then in the picture when I first picked it up. It had crap all over it and I'm surprised it came as clean as it did with just a spray hose. I plan on making this thing look pretty and run smooth. I was looking at one of the threads on here with someone who had painted one a 2 tone pink and white for his wife or something. Now that I liked and felt inspired by. I'm thinking a 2 tone white and blue.

This is a swatch I'm thinking: http://www.art-paints.com/Paints/Glass/ ... iamond.gif
Last edited by eclark5483 on Thu Apr 14, 2016 12:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
eclark5483
CB900F
CB900F

Post by eclark5483 »

motormike wrote:
eclark5483 wrote: I was already planning on a performance CDI
Nobody has ever reported any benefit from using the aftermarket "performance" CDI in Spree...the OEM is always considered best.
OK, I'll keep that in mind. Still looking around the forums to learn more about the bike.