??? Anybody have a better link so I can restore this POS

The place to discuss rides, accessories, or whatever is tangentially Spree/Elite-related

Moderator: Moderator

motormike

Re: ??? Anybody have a better link so I can restore this POS

Post by motormike »

Sent you a pm... :urban:
RideRed
<Gyro S><MB5><Honda Navi><Helix><Sym Wolf><Yamaha Razz><Honda CH150 Deluxe>
"Live Large - Ride Small"
eclark5483
CB900F
CB900F

Post by eclark5483 »

Thanks guys. My next question is about the alternator...kind of.. So like I said, I want to pimp it a bit with mirrors that have the built in FM/MP3 player. The ones I was looking at also have blue LED lights around them which makes me want to do some LED straps on the side. My concern is how much more can I add to this without torturing the alternator too much. Would hate to kill the battery because of a little showy lighting. I wouldn't think just the mirrors would draw too much power, but I am concerned about going beyond that.
MrJumps
CB900F
CB900F

Post by MrJumps »

Leds don't draw much.
I would say leds down the bottom and on the side would be fine,
but then again, I find answers by trial and error.
1993 ch80, swapped with a ch250
2021 DRZ400sm :worship:
eclark5483
CB900F
CB900F

Post by eclark5483 »

MrJumps wrote:Drill out the exhaust and order an jet from treatland.

OEM parts are gonna cost money, you should knows this if you work wit Indians and Victory cycles.

Good Day' Mate
Treatland ya say? I'll check em out. And unfortunately, no I really don't have much idea of what OEM parts run for any type of bike. For one thing, I get employee pricing on any part I need, and to clarify a bit. When I say I work for Polaris, I don't mean at a dealership or service center. I work at the factory that builds the bikes. That gives me a slight advantage not only because of my own personal knowledge over the years, but I am literally surrounded by engineers, technicians, nerds, bikers, motorheads and even a couple HE-double-LL's Angels tossed into the mix who are all friends and co-workers. I even have the guy who is a technician for DuPont who consults at the plant in our paint department helping me out on the paint end when I paint this puppy (good friend of mine). I've done assembly on both the Victory and Indian, as well as helped out on the Polaris Slingshot. Currently though, I am in the paint department. It's awesome because I get first hand looks and knowledge of what the company is putting out there and get to do what alot of people only dream of doing... building motorcycles and getting the satisfaction of seeing that key turn and that machine light up and do it's thing. It's one of those deals, where, if I can't handle a simple little scooter, they should REALLY consider firing me. :lol:

All that awesomeness aside, at the end of the day, I am still in the same boat as most anybody else when it comes to the Spree. Found the service manual, studying it for parts.. of course not all are listed but no biggy. Searched on eBay to see what they offer, did a bit of googling for other suppliers. Perhaps I started the topic a bit wrong. The sarcasm of the bolt was meant to be taken more as an euphemism to what many people probably encounter when doing a scavenger hunt for 30 year old parts... You find something at a decent price, but then the supplier turns around and screws you on the shipping. Never meant for it to come off like I'm a complete idiot or something who can't even manage a simple bolt.

But anyways, that's what brought me to this forum. I like to research first before turning that first nut or bolt. And who better to ask then people who own these scooters???

Thanks.
patthesoundguy

Post by patthesoundguy »

eclark5483 wrote:
MrJumps wrote:Drill out the exhaust and order an jet from treatland.

OEM parts are gonna cost money, you should knows this if you work wit Indians and Victory cycles.

Good Day' Mate
Treatland ya say? I'll check em out. And unfortunately, no I really don't have much idea of what OEM parts run for any type of bike. For one thing, I get employee pricing on any part I need, and to clarify a bit. When I say I work for Polaris, I don't mean at a dealership or service center. I work at the factory that builds the bikes. That gives me a slight advantage not only because of my own personal knowledge over the years, but I am literally surrounded by engineers, technicians, nerds, bikers, motorheads and even a couple HE-double-LL's Angels tossed into the mix who are all friends and co-workers. I even have the guy who is a technician for DuPont who consults at the plant in our paint department helping me out on the paint end when I paint this puppy (good friend of mine). I've done assembly on both the Victory and Indian, as well as helped out on the Polaris Slingshot. Currently though, I am in the paint department. It's awesome because I get first hand looks and knowledge of what the company is putting out there and get to do what alot of people only dream of doing... building motorcycles and getting the satisfaction of seeing that key turn and that machine light up and do it's thing. It's one of those deals, where, if I can't handle a simple little scooter, they should REALLY consider firing me. :lol:

All that awesomeness aside, at the end of the day, I am still in the same boat as most anybody else when it comes to the Spree. Found the service manual, studying it for parts.. of course not all are listed but no biggy. Searched on eBay to see what they offer, did a bit of googling for other suppliers. Perhaps I started the topic a bit wrong. The sarcasm of the bolt was meant to be taken more as an euphemism to what many people probably encounter when doing a scavenger hunt for 30 year old parts... You find something at a decent price, but then the supplier turns around and screws you on the shipping. Never meant for it to come off like I'm a complete idiot or something who can't even manage a simple bolt.

But anyways, that's what brought me to this forum. I like to research first before turning that first nut or bolt. And who better to ask then people who own these scooters???

Thanks.
I took the looking for the bolt as trying to find a better match than the hardware store bolt that looked like it belonged there :-)
Dude! Ya Can't Fix Stupid!
84 Spree stock
84 Spree Dio AF18E MHR Cylinder Arrow Pipe 28mm OKO
80 Express, 47mm DR BBKit, Weak Ends Intake, Boyesen Dual stage reeds, 19mm Delorto carb, MLM pipe
79 Express
85 Aero 80 stock
84 elite 125 stock
eclark5483
CB900F
CB900F

Post by eclark5483 »

Yeah, well, I figured from the start that it was just a plain ole average bolt, but then I have never worked on a Spree, and honestly, the last time I even remember even seeing one, was probably back in the late 80's. So I get the thing, and see that it is missing, my first thought is... hmm, I wonder what it looks like, if it's a special kind with maybe a huge washer already attached since the circumference around the plastic seemed pretty big, figured it HAD TO BE metric for sure and not SAE. So had to do some searching here and there just to figure out what it even looked like and what the part number was. I actually kind of laughed a bit when I saw that shipping charge, I was like "NAH, THINK I'M GONNA MAKE A TRIP TO MENARDS". It's just too bad I can't do the same for the piston, rings, starter, tires, etc... well maybe the tires I can, guess I'll go see what's available around the area.
Ultraliner

Post by Ultraliner »

Welcome to the forum eclarke, tis a great place in here and all the members are only too willing to help out with any issues you may be having

Oh and when you get that thing up and running and take it for a few runs I wouldnt mind betting you are gonna find it hard to give to your daughter... These little scooters are a HUGE amount of fun!! ;)
eclark5483
CB900F
CB900F

Post by eclark5483 »

It's only temporarily going to my daughter. She already has a brand new Tao Tao ATM50-A1 that I bought her (pink). Just need to teach her how to drive them first, and that's where the beat up Spree comes in VERY VERY handy. I even got her personalized plates and a customized license plate frame. That one will also be getting the FM/MP3 mirror treatment.. link: http://www.ebay.com/itm/231880590476?_t ... EBIDX%3AIT

And I picked up a universal windshield for it at scrappydogscooters.com

Also looking into replacing the default free trunk that comes with it to something bigger that will hold her laptop.

I wanna do a trunk on the Spree as well, an original Honda trunk would be nice.

I guess what I am envisioning and shooting for is one similar to the one in this topic but blue (like the swatch image) and white instead of pink and white,

http://www.hondaspree.net/phpBB3/viewto ... 4&start=15

EDIT: Perhaps a Blue and SILVER might work well too, just glad I have a buddy who works for DuPont to help me find something cool looking.

and add these cool mirrors:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Motorcycle-Rear ... 43&vxp=mtr

And another windshield kit from scrappydog scooters.. and MAYBE some blue LED on the sides.

That should put a pretty decent image into one's mind of what I wanna do with it, and yeah, you are right. I would LOVE to have it for myself, but, I'm kind of a big guy. I'm probably a little more then that scooter can handle. I'm kinda hoping I can get my son (who also has Autism), to ride once he sees his sister doing it. Then HE gets to be the one with the pimped out 30 year old scooter. As for me... I'll stick with my Indian Scout. It's fresh from the factory, and built with love and care by.... ME :love:
patthesoundguy

Post by patthesoundguy »

Those mirrors are super awesome, and I think the blue LED side lights will be a must do to match :-)
84 Spree stock
80 Express, 47mm DR BBKit, Weak Ends Intake, Boyesen Dual stage reeds, 19mm Delorto carb, MLM pipe
79 Express
85 Aero 80 stock
84 elite 125 stock
eclark5483
CB900F
CB900F

Post by eclark5483 »

Just wanna say, if my son DOESN'T do like I want and take to the Spree, then it WILL be for sale. My asking price will only be what I put into it. How much that will be at this point, is anybody's guess, but I am honest and will provide a breakdown of components for any potential buyer. I will be restoring this scooter through the summer and maybe into the fall depending on how much time I have to devote to it. This thing is a complete POS currently IMHO, but I will have so much fun restoring it no matter who it goes to. Not at all out to make a profit off of it. I bought it with NO TITLE. It will be a salvage bike resurrected from the grave. I'm really just doing it because I am a bored hobbyist motorcycle buff for the most part. All I am asking besides links to OEM parts, is just to wish me luck..

Thanks.
MrJumps
CB900F
CB900F

Post by MrJumps »

Fully restored sprees and mint sprees may sell up to 800 american dollars but 600 in ths norm and non running is around 100 to 200 these are prices with title. Withiut your looking at half figures on all of these.
1993 ch80, swapped with a ch250
2021 DRZ400sm :worship:
eclark5483
CB900F
CB900F

Post by eclark5483 »

P.S. I was having a conversation with my daughter (who is 15) tonight. I just recently bought her, her own new cell phone, she told me she felt weird because she got a new phone and a new bike, and that other kids at school were not so lucky. I told her, yes, she is a GOD D.A.M.N. brat and I am very proud of it. I am raising special needs kids and it sometimes gets frustrating. If people only knew what I go threw. I grew up ph_ucking poor as h_ell. I only want to give my kids opportunity to succeed and have the things I could only dream of no matter what the cost. I know they will struggle when they are older and I pass away. It's hard raising kids who might not be able to do things others can do and I really do push them to persevere in spite of disabilities. What's most important to me, is that they will be able to function without me or my wife in their lives. I seriously devote my entire life into helping them prepare for a life without me. Love them with all my heart. I even sold my old home and downsized into a smaller home that will be theirs when I die. I REALLY REALLY want to rebuild this POS Spree just for my kids if anything. I'm not rich, but knowing they will be fine without mom and dad when we pass away will make me feel like the most wealthiest man in the world. I thank each and every one of you for your input as I try to form my kid's lives.. thank you so much in advance.
Last edited by eclark5483 on Sat Apr 16, 2016 3:17 am, edited 1 time in total.
eclark5483
CB900F
CB900F

Post by eclark5483 »

MrJumps wrote:Fully restored sprees and mint sprees may sell up to 800 american dollars but 600 in ths norm and non running is around 100 to 200 these are prices with title. Withiut your looking at half figures on all of these.
I am in the process of getting a title for it. I was able to get the VIN and previous owner info under the seat. There was the manual and some documents that contained the info I needed under the seat in the storage space for the manual. I talked with the DMV about reissuing me a title for it already. It's a long, drawn out process, but then I have PLENTY of time on my hands to get it done. I personally think it's cool as he_ll that I am taking a machine that would be considered scrap and normally crushed up at the junk yard and made into a tin can, and turning around and making it a fully functional, street legal machine. This Spree has been sitting in a barn for over 15 years without running, waiting to be taken to a scrap yard. I intend to give it a different fate. If I can't do it with all the backup I have from my friends and co-workers, then it was never meant to be. I happen to have more faith then that. Don't really give a ph_uck what it costs me.
patthesoundguy

Post by patthesoundguy »

I really love the fact you are going to give that spree new life, it sounds like your kids will really appreciate it and the work you are putting into it. You are doing something special by fixing up an old thing and making it new again. In our throw away society these days it's rare. That's one of the reasons I love this forum and a couple others I haunt, we all like to fix old stuff as well as get the new stuff. I know that spree you have is going to be awesome!
84 Spree stock
79 Express
85 Aero 80 stock
84 elite 125 stock
eclark5483
CB900F
CB900F

Post by eclark5483 »

Just a quick update, the Spree is now running. Drained all that 15 year old gas and oil, changed out a couple hoses, changed the starter, and put a new air cleaner in it. HAD to do the air cleaner. I'm guessing that is the main thing that was preventing it from running because it acts almost like a choke. Already got an offer from a guy to buy it off me. He said he collects them. Same guy who I bought the starter from. Used some cleaner on it to bring out that paint, looks pretty d*** good now.. Will post pics later.