Might purchase 1983 Aero 50, what do I need to know?

The place to discuss rides, accessories, or whatever is tangentially Spree/Elite-related

Moderator: Moderator

treelessbark
Noob
Noob

Might purchase 1983 Aero 50, what do I need to know?

Post by treelessbark »

nutshell: There's someone in my neighborhood that offered to sell me their Aero 50 ('83). She said it got bad gas and fuel lines needs to be cleaned. She started off with offering it for $500, throwing in a new helmet. I'm checking it out tonight.

I did a little KBB research, and it's up at $545 in excellent condition. I think I want to negotiate a little, but was curious what I should look for, I am most definitely a newb. (I did download the manual, printed out the maintenance guide, checked out some sites with similar information, and trying to get all the information I need to make a good decision.) Positive advice is appreciated. I feel confident between my willingness to learn & my friends & my dad's motorcycle knowledge that I could probably do some basic fixes. I am more curious as to what to negotiate, and if there's any red flags or things I should look out for when checking it out tonight. Thanks!

UPDATE: Doesn't look like I'll be buying this scooter, seems too much of a risk for the price. I still appreciate all advice given though about buying used scooters and what to look for. It's helping me in my further search. Thanks!
Last edited by treelessbark on Fri Apr 22, 2016 12:24 am, edited 1 time in total.
2007 Yamaha Vino Classic (50cc)
motormike

Re: Might purchase 1983 Aero 50, what do I need to know?

Post by motormike »

treelessbark wrote:nutshell: There's someone in my neighborhood that offered to sell me their Aero 50 ('83). She said it got bad gas and fuel lines needs to be cleaned. She started off with offering it for $500, throwing in a new helmet. I'm checking it out tonight.

I did a little KBB research, and it's up at $545 in excellent condition. I think I want to negotiate a little, but was curious what I should look for, I am most definitely a newb. (I did download the manual, printed out the maintenance guide, checked out some sites with similar information, and trying to get all the information I need to make a good decision.) Positive advice is appreciated. I feel confident between my willingness to learn & my friends & my dad's motorcycle knowledge that I could probably do some basic fixes. I am more curious as to what to negotiate, and if there's any red flags or things I should look out for when checking it out tonight. Thanks!

My personal opinion is that an '83 Aero 50 priced at $500 should be running great, have a good battery, and two very good and newish tires. Any less than those things would be reason for some serious negotiating. Expect to replace a belt, rollers, air filter. Dirty gas tanks are no fun, and petcocks can be bad from time. All hoses should be new for reliability...ethanol eats them up. Lights working properly is important.
RideRed
<Gyro S><MB5><Honda Navi><Helix><Sym Wolf><Yamaha Razz><Honda CH150 Deluxe>
"Live Large - Ride Small"
treelessbark
Noob
Noob

Post by treelessbark »

motormike wrote: My personal opinion is that an '83 Aero 50 priced at $500 should be running great, have a good battery, and two very good and newish tires. Any less than those things would be reason for some serious negotiating. Expect to replace a belt, rollers, air filter. Dirty gas tanks are no fun, and petcocks can be bad from time. All hoses should be new for reliability...ethanol eats them up. Lights working properly is important.[/i][/size]
Thanks a lot! She did say the tires are new, I'll figure out the battery when I see it. This will help a lot when I check it out. Still on the prowl for various options in case this seems a bit much.
Rip_City_Spree
CB900F
CB900F

Post by Rip_City_Spree »

i agree I wouldnt pay that for a non running 83 aero.
01 Elite SR
polini corsa
Polini 26mm Carb
Naraku intake
Naraku sport variator
Currently 5g rollers
zx trans
Arrow
red contra with yellow clutch springs.
RIP CITY
RIP NO MERCY KERSEY
treelessbark
Noob
Noob

Post by treelessbark »

One of the hardest parts for me is negotiating. I'm not exactly sure what it would be worth not running. Of course I get it differs upon condition and how much effort/money it takes to fix up. It seems in Portland all the mopeds & scooters are overpriced - well for a lot of the ones I find that are not running or missing a title.
eclark5483
CB900F
CB900F

Post by eclark5483 »

Just remember to HEAVILY emphasize the money you will have to be putting back into it when negotiating on a price. The one I recently picked up, I only paid $75 for it, but, I have already put about $180 into and I haven't yet pulled the engine (I'll do that later this summer). But yeah, $180 just to get it running and I did all the labor myself. It was sitting in a barn for 15 years, same situation, bad/old gas, old oil. I cleaned that all out of there, changed some hoses and got another starter and air box for it, and of course a new battery. It runs, but that is just the tip of the iceberg. So if they are asking say $500, then for sure factor in about the same cost I incurred plus that.

Don't know what it is worth to you, but I personally would not pay $500. For $650 with free shipping, I bought my kid a brand new Tao Tao ATM50. That same $650 is my budget limit on this Spree, so far, looks like I only have $470 to go to cover all the other things I want to do to it. I say any more then that, it starts to become a money pit. But then, I guess I'll cross that bridge when it comes.

So I guess what I am saying, is you should think of not only the asking price, but how much more you are willing to invest in it. Negotiate from there. That would be the FAIR middle ground for the seller to meet you at.
treelessbark
Noob
Noob

Post by treelessbark »

Rip_City_Spree wrote:i agree I wouldnt pay that for a non running 83 aero.
I'm guessing by your name you may be from the Portland area? Let me know if you have any advice on finding scooters here! haha.
eclark5483 wrote:Just remember to HEAVILY emphasize the money you will have to be putting back into it when negotiating on a price. The one I recently picked up, I only paid $75 for it, but, I have already put about $180 into and I haven't yet pulled the engine (I'll do that later this summer). But yeah, $180 just to get it running and I did all the labor myself. It was sitting in a barn for 15 years, same situation, bad/old gas, old oil. I cleaned that all out of there, changed some hoses and got another starter and air box for it, and of course a new battery. It runs, but that is just the tip of the iceberg. So if they are asking say $500, then for sure factor in about the same cost I incurred plus that.

Don't know what it is worth to you, but I personally would not pay $500. For $650 with free shipping, I bought my kid a brand new Tao Tao ATM50. That same $650 is my budget limit on this Spree, so far, looks like I only have $470 to go to cover all the other things I want to do to it. I say any more then that, it starts to become a money pit. But then, I guess I'll cross that bridge when it comes.

So I guess what I am saying, is you should think of not only the asking price, but how much more you are willing to invest in it. Negotiate from there. That would be the FAIR middle ground for the seller to meet you at.
This lines up with previous advice, and definitely makes sense. I gave my dad a call for his advice (he rebuilds motorcycles all the time) and he said the same things. I think the price had more to do with being sentimental to her than anything. The bike was definitely used, even though I don't fret too much on the cosmetics. The inside seemed decent and had a lot of work done from a shop last year, I think I'd feel more comfortable giving a couple more hundred for a bike already running. I'm appreciating all this help from everyone! It's helping me feel a bit more confident about this hunt.
Rip_City_Spree
CB900F
CB900F

Post by Rip_City_Spree »

Hey treelessbark there is no good way for finding good well priced scoots here other than being very diligent with your craigslist searching. it took me the better part of 6 months to find my elite. elites in general dont come up very often with titles or that arent crap. really depends on what your looking for. we get elite 80s all the time newer zumas pop up but usually over priced in my opinion. like I said it really depends on what your looking for. I paid 600 for my elite with title but I doubt that deal will pop up again anytime soon. send me a pm and let me know what your looking for and Ill keep my eyes out. I am constantly looking for good deals.
01 Elite SR
polini corsa
Polini 26mm Carb
Naraku intake
Naraku sport variator
Currently 5g rollers
zx trans
Arrow
red contra with yellow clutch springs.
RIP CITY
RIP NO MERCY KERSEY