HELP!!! 1986 Honda Spree special edition price/value

The place to discuss rides, accessories, or whatever is tangentially Spree/Elite-related

Moderator: Moderator

Dante9275
Noob
Noob

HELP!!! 1986 Honda Spree special edition price/value

Post by Dante9275 »

Hey, new to this site. Is there anyone out there that can tell me what the value is on my new scooter? 1986 Honda Spree special edition. NQ50D. White and green. I can not find what it's worth anywhere. I've called friends in the motorcycle business, looked at nada and kbb, eBay, etc. Its mint condition, 1200 miles, everything works. Help!

Thanks
Last edited by Dante9275 on Mon Jun 27, 2016 6:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
vintagegarage
Elite
Elite

Re: HELP!!! 1986 Honda Spree special edition price/value

Post by vintagegarage »

$500 with a clean Florida title in your name. $200 without a title..
Dante9275
Noob
Noob

Post by Dante9275 »

Wow, that's it? As rare as it supposedly is, I thought a grand at least???
Kustomkarma
Elite
Elite

Post by Kustomkarma »

Was that one of the ones that was on Craigslist? If it was the really nice one, then $400-$500. With a title - $100-$200 without. If it was the one with the missing side panels and no title, then $50 - $100. If it was the so so one with missing parts and no title then $100-$150. Take a look at my recent post about Special Editions to get some more insight. :)
eclark5483
CB900F
CB900F

Post by eclark5483 »

Yeah, alot of those Sprees you find on Craigslist are just outrageously priced, and one would have to be a real suckered to pay what some of them ask. I agree, $400-500 tops.
Kustomkarma
Elite
Elite

Post by Kustomkarma »

As I suspected and recently had confirmed, a Special Edition Spree is a white Spree with a green floorboard, a special colored seat, and some stickers. It was basically a trim package.
Dante9275
Noob
Noob

Post by Dante9275 »

I'm picking it up Saturday. Got it for $500. Obviously the seller thinks it's gold. He wanted $700. Got him to $500. Very nice man though. I have seen very little what the special editions are actually worth. You've all been very helpful. I have another '86 spree that is getting custom paint at the moment. I'm almost done and will post pics soon. Super cool and I'll bet you haven't seen anything like it before. The white "special" I'm getting because it's cool and clean.
Kustomkarma
Elite
Elite

Post by Kustomkarma »

Are you getting a title with it? I haven't come across anyone that has successfully registered a scooter without one here in Florida.
Dante9275
Noob
Noob

Post by Dante9275 »

No title. However I've called Florida and Michigan dmv. (Originally from MI) Never titled. Dmv will title it in my name.
Dante9275
Noob
Noob

Post by Dante9275 »

You need a bill of sale and an affidavit stating the seller assumes responsibility should something be wrong. I tend to steer away from titleless vehicles however I did my homework on this scooter prior to paying.
Kustomkarma
Elite
Elite

Post by Kustomkarma »

Interesting. If you could report back on how titling it went, that would be awesome. I've passed on a ton of scooters due to the lack of a title. I know people that have tried it with just a Bill of Sale and were totally denied registration. Is it a standardized form or something you wrote yourself?
Dante9275
Noob
Noob

Post by Dante9275 »

They have a form for the bill of sale online. The woman told me the affidavit must include the seller to assume responsibility, DL#, phone, address, selling price, vin#, and reason for no title. She told me that if he won't sign it, don't buy it. I hate dealing with the dmv, that why I called. They emailed me the correct bill of sale and affidavit.
Dante9275
Noob
Noob

Post by Dante9275 »

I can email the forms. To large to upload here.
vintagegarage
Elite
Elite

Post by vintagegarage »

I have twice been able to get a Florida title on a Spree with the completed Bill of Sale form that you get from the Florida tax assessors office (DMV). The buyer and sellers signatures on the form have to be notarized. The only catch is that the scooter has to have never been titled when the title clerk checks the VIN number in their database. I am not sure about the scope of the search (if it includes every state in the Union or just the State of Florida.) I usually take the VIN to the assessors office before I buy the scooter. If the clerk gives me the thumbs up, then I get the seller to sign the Florida form in front of a notary (Amscot in Florida is a good place for that). Then I go back to the same clerk with the form and they issue the title.. costs about $140. If there is a pre-existing title, then the assessor won't tell you who has it for privacy reasons, but they will usually give you an unofficial thumbs down or a shake of the head. If I get the thumbs down, I don't buy the scooter, as it means there is an existing title somewhere and you need it before you can title it and register it for street use in Florida. Hopefully, your scooter has never been titled, and if so, then you may be good to go with the notarized Florida Bill of Sale form and $140.
Dante9275
Noob
Noob

Post by Dante9275 »

vintagegarage wrote:I have twice been able to get a Florida title on a Spree with the completed Bill of Sale form that you get from the Florida tax assessors office (DMV). The buyer and sellers signatures on the form have to be notarized. The only catch is that the scooter has to have never been titled when the title clerk checks the VIN number in their database. I am not sure about the scope of the search (if it includes every state in the Union or just the State of Florida.) I usually take the VIN to the assessors office before I buy the scooter. If the clerk gives me the thumbs up, then I get the seller to sign the Florida form in front of a notary (Amscot in Florida is a good place for that). Then I go back to the same clerk with the form and they issue the title.. costs about $140. If there is a pre-existing title, then the assessor won't tell you who has it for privacy reasons, but they will usually give you an unofficial thumbs down or a shake of the head. If I get the thumbs down, I don't buy the scooter, as it means there is an existing title somewhere and you need it before you can title it and register it for street use in Florida. Hopefully, your scooter has never been titled, and if so, then you may be good to go with the notarized Florida Bill of Sale form and $140.

Completely agree with everything you said!