Getting the Tazland BBK, GEARS, + MLM ran on a dyno

The place to discuss rides, accessories, or whatever is tangentially Spree/Elite-related

Moderator: Moderator

eclark5483
CB900F
CB900F

Re: Getting the Tazland BBK, GEARS, + MLM ran on a dyno

Post by eclark5483 »

BEHOLD !!! THE 1MAN8SCOOTS PORTED BBK FOR THE SPREE!!

PORTED KITACO INTAKE TO BE DONE SOON.

Last edited by eclark5483 on Sat May 05, 2018 5:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Meatball
CB900F
CB900F

Post by Meatball »

Wow, them ports opened up a bunch! Beautiful work, 1man. Cant wait to see the outcome! :popcorn:
I need to find some new haters...the ones I have are starting to like me.
eclark5483
CB900F
CB900F

Post by eclark5483 »

So bit of an update on this and to clarrify what I am currently running.

I now have a 17mm Polini instead of the 21mm Polini. For the curious as to what the jet difference is.

The 21mm Polini comes stock with a #100 main, and a #40 pilot. The 17mm Polini comes stock with a #80 main, and a #38 pilot.

I am running the 17mm Polini with a #34 pilot (same as a stock Spree carb), with the #100 main from the old carb. Only prob I had was the boot between the intake and carb accidentally popped off a couple times, which I think I have corrected by simply using a Stage 6 CNC riser, moving that shock up about an inch or so out of the way so it isn't banging into the carb. That kind of noise can scare the LIVING HEII out of you at 45mph. First thing I thought was.. OH NO, BLEW THE ENGINE, look down, and the dang boot had come off. Gonna see if I can find time to shoot a video of it doing some road time. But anyways, if using an SB50 intake/reeds on a Spree BBK, I recommend staying with the #80 jet on the 17mm Polini/stock carb, I wouldn't up that jet much unless the Intake/reeds get ported out, or you swap out the stock intake/reed system for a suitable adapter.

Also, from what I can see, Taz is once again, offering his kits up for sale.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/222536208587
Last edited by eclark5483 on Thu Jun 15, 2017 10:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
jakubman1
Elite
Elite

Post by jakubman1 »

Price actually went up. Guess how much it is for the kit... 25$ if that tells you anything
eclark5483
CB900F
CB900F

Post by eclark5483 »

You'll also wanna buy a #34 pilot or get a kit with a #34 in it. If using the stock carb, you already have a #34 pilot, so don't worry about it. Acceleration with the 17mm Polini with #34 pilot and #100 main using YELLOW Leo Vince Jog springs is good. Take off, for me anyway, is not quite a Flintstones push, but could be better. Keep in mind though, I'm a big guy!! I weigh in at about 325lbs. So that tiny Spree will even take off OK with a fat guy on it. Chalk that up to the 3+ ft/lbs. of torque. When my daughter drives it (and I'm gonna call her scooter pro by now, she slams around town on her 80cc TaoTao), Her 120lb frame seems to zip right off.. lucky brat.

But anyway, it's a steady climb till you hit around 12 or 13 mph. You hold the throttle between 1/4 and 1/2 at a sweet spot. After this time, the engine changes it's tone and sound. This is when you know the MLM pipe is in it's powerband and the RPM's (and speed), zip right up. You don't give it full gas at this point, you hold steady at around 1/2 throttle or a bit more, as the speed climbs.

You continue holding until the speedometer reads 35mph, then at that instant, you go full throttle and it sends you right past 45 (GPS confirmed), with a smile on your face and slowly climbs to it's peak because it just ain't done yet.

Yeah, it's SUPER SUPER awesome. I REALLY hope an intake solution gets put out there for everyone so they can try it for themselves.
Last edited by eclark5483 on Sun Jun 25, 2017 5:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
eclark5483
CB900F
CB900F

Post by eclark5483 »

Later this year, when I have the ported BBK installed, and ported Kitaco, I plan on doing another dyno run. My goal is to hit this number, making mine, the worlds fastest AF05 Spree. I don't think it is possible to squeeze any more out of it without porting the block as well. Then I could bump up to a 19mm carb.

jakubman1
Elite
Elite

Post by jakubman1 »

Thats fast :)
eclark5483
CB900F
CB900F

Post by eclark5483 »

It is, and here is the thing. I think what I am going to do, is attempt 12,000rpm/57mph using the STOCK carb. Don't get me wrong, the Polini is AWESOME, but given what I have learned from all that testing and analysis, the stock carb will do just as well as the Polini and I want to prove this. It gives me a great excuse to use the Polini in a more worthwhile project scooter.

I think a Polini carb comes in REAL REAL handy if you switch to an SB50 intake merely because it has extra ports up front for oil/vacuum. So instead of plugging both into the intake, one goes in the intake, one to the Polini, run 96:1 in the tank, and you should be golden.

This is exactly how Elite E (SB50) owners should configure their BBK.

So what I am saying is, Spree/Kitaco intake, use stock carb, Elite E (SB50) intakes, use a Polini 17mm (or sb50 carb). Retain stock pump, 96:1 in tank. PERFECT!!
Kustomkarma
Elite
Elite

Post by Kustomkarma »

Thanks for all the time, research, and money you put into this. So kitaco intake, stock carb, which reeds and jet for a stock bore?
eclark5483
CB900F
CB900F

Post by eclark5483 »

SB50 and #80 for intakes that are not ported, increase jet size as intake/reed size increases. I.E. Ported intake &/or reeds, bump up to a 90 and higher.
eclark5483
CB900F
CB900F

Post by eclark5483 »

Taz' carb kits are on the way. I wasn't going to BBK the 87', I was gonna keep the original, but with the reintroduction of Taz' carb kits, I felt more confident in using one in the 87'

So yep, more dyno fun videos are on the way.

So, what will happen, when I take my 17mm Polini's with the Taz BBK (BOTH BIKES), Carb Kit MINUS THE CARB THAT SHIPS WITH IT, Gears, MLM and run it on the dyno? For sure I have a better reed setup. I'm actually ditching the reeds for some Malossi's. I'm gonna change my jetting again as well. I'm gonna bump the pilot to 36, and main to 104 on both bikes.

The 87's BBK, is the PORTED BBK done by 1man8scoots. Since that has stock gears (12T), you shouldn't see an HP loss like high gears gives. Plus I'm using a stock pipe. And the 87' is running stock pump with 96:1 in the tank (though I might dip down to 80:1 for break-in), the 86', of course, uses a deleted pump with 32:1. Should be pretty fun to see the HP/Torque differences. Bet they both easily hit over 4+ HP this next time. Might just Taz Gear the Cyclone Spree for curiosity's sake between ported BBK .vs Regular BBK.

Oh and BTW, The CYCLONE SPREE (87') being used for the Dyno runs, will eventually also end up being my Variated AF05E engine swap bike. So the engine being shown in the dyno runs, will probably be for sale. Yep, that's right, a Taz kitted, professionally ported, badazz engine. HeII, life feels so good right now, I might just GIVE IT away, after I make the very rare 87' Iowa Edition Spree become the fastest Spree in the world without swapping the engine!!
eclark5483
CB900F
CB900F

Post by eclark5483 »

I have decided when I dyno the next bike, I'm going to break in the BBK properly first.

Winter is coming and all my scoots have been put away for storage. Still slowly, but surely, piecing together the Cyclone Spree, sad that it isn't anywhere near done first. It will get done over winter for sure, I have some time off from work coming up when we go on our 6 week shut down. But I'm not gonna just install this very very special Tazland BBK and slam it hard on a dyno. That would be stupid. I want to give it a proper road time break in period of about 100 miles at an 8,000 rpm limit. Then I'll change the clutch to a new clutch/springs, replace the belt with a brand new belt, and THEN slam it on the dyno.

Should be safe, at that point, to do a 10,000 rpm reading.

So expect those dyno clips around ... maybe late spring 2018??
eclark5483
CB900F
CB900F

Post by eclark5483 »

R1Titan911 wrote:
eclark5483 wrote:I'm going to call this the OFFICIAL BEFORE AND AFTER results for myself personally, your results, of course... may vary.

BEFORE (STOCK 87 Spree):

AFTER:
Almost 100% gain!
A 100% GAIN would mean I will need to achieve +4.2Hp, and +3.6ft/lb torque. I'm about 99% positive that this is very possible with just the BBK and intake changes and keeping the stock gears. Higher gears=HP/Torque loss. Given the results with 15:81 gears, the stock gears should yield better results.
Last edited by eclark5483 on Sat May 05, 2018 5:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
benji
CB900F
CB900F

Post by benji »

Mind blowing power haha! Poor sprees...2hp?? Jeez, it's lucky to be able to move with my * on it.
eclark5483
CB900F
CB900F

Post by eclark5483 »

So just a quick update on what is going on pre-dyno. Right now I am breaking in the Cyclone Spree with a very rich pilot and main jet mix. I'm running a #38 pilot and #104 Polini main jet using the oil pump and an additional 80:1 ratio in the tank for break in. I'm doing this for the first tank and giving the Joe Daniels ported BBK all it can take. Basically, I'm working the piston, but I am working it rich on oil, then I'll reduce tank ratio to 96:1 on next fill, and drop jet sizes down to #36 pilot and #102 main and run this config for another tank, then off to the dyno to see where we are at with A/F ratios. Figure out where any adjustments might potentially be made in pilot and main jet sizes, read plug, declare success after proper powerband achieved, report back dyno HP/Torque A/F results.. will be a while before video results, but is in progress. I'll probably also do a clutch/belt refurb replace even though what I have now is pretty low mileage wear. Still tuning carb and testing on the street ATM.