Getting the Tazland BBK, GEARS, + MLM ran on a dyno

The place to discuss rides, accessories, or whatever is tangentially Spree/Elite-related

Moderator: Moderator

eclark5483
CB900F
CB900F

Re: Getting the Tazland BBK, GEARS, + MLM ran on a dyno

Post by eclark5483 »

noiseguy wrote:You need some configurations to test. I'll throw in; since I produce filter elements, I can make some different configurations from material on hand. Stock Spree element is 80 PPI and 15mm thick.

I can produce a 80 PPI and 10mm thick element. This should cut some restriction on airflow, but I've no idea if it'll improve things.

Also, a 20 PPI and 15mm element, which is basically just a hair and sawdust screen... not streetable, but a step better than no element.

LMK if interested. I'll make/ship them to you for free if you post up results here.
Pass, (for now), but it IS good to know there are some options on the filter side for one to tweak it just right. I just wanna be fair and non biased and use what I got. I did Email Shawn to tell him if needed or wanted I do have a jet source available and will tell him filter source as well, thanks.

I've written enough crib notes and scratched off too many variables all ready. The very first thing I handed them, was the instructions for the BBK.. Got an initial yes and no on a couple of the things it asked for. With or without pump, with or without airbox/ pod. 32:1 for break in? 50:1 post break in? Could a too saturated oiling be affecting lean conditions at WOT? Not that I am in anyway trying to insult anybody's already established means of operating the new BBK, and no disrespect to Taz for his AWESOME kit.
eclark5483
CB900F
CB900F

Post by eclark5483 »

wwolvert wrote:the spree I ran isn't mine and I wont be able to experiment with it
I think that's even better yet. It wasn't yours, just a test that happened for whatever reason. I mean, come on, we all got/get different MPH out of stock sprees. All I could get my Iowa Spree to go is 23. Some people claim 35 or better on theirs. I'm EXPECTING better then 40 on the dyno, but realistically, it will only be driven at MAYBE 35 tops around Spencer. So I want it tuned for the very fastest and strongest performance with those 3 things (BBK, GEARS, MLM), so that going 35, is cruising speed, I'm guessing 25 tops will be the majority of speed it will get used at. Shawn was telling me you'd have to be crazy to get it going 50 or more down the road, guess I should E-mail him the YouTube link to the 72mph Spree. :mrgreen: But yeah, random Spree test base. SWEET!!
Meatball
CB900F
CB900F

Post by Meatball »

eclark5483 wrote:you'd have to be crazy to get it going 50 or more
Had my Spree up to 48 last night...guess Im not crazy yet. :smile:
I need to find some new haters...the ones I have are starting to like me.
wwolvert
Spree
Spree

Post by wwolvert »

Yeah I did some work on the spree for a guy at the shop and I saw the topic so I asked him if I could run it on the Dyno for free just got board at work pretty much I wanted to see if it could spin the drum
jakubman1
Elite
Elite

Post by jakubman1 »

I dont think using the spree bbk is worth it. These kits burn up. Ive tried everything from drilling holes to putting a main jet 100 to moving the needle notches.
Im happy doing 35mph with my mlm pipe and thats IT !!
I spent 220$ just messing up my crank bearings while running to lean. Id like to see someone who actually had success and post a video about exactly what they did. its just fishy. Even Meatball BABY'd his and STILL burnt his up.
Just buy a bigger scooter if ya wanna go faster IMO
eclark5483
CB900F
CB900F

Post by eclark5483 »

I somewhat agree. Backup plan is engine B. But, I'm gonna have them AT LEAST try.
eclark5483
CB900F
CB900F

Post by eclark5483 »

My reasons for keeping it stock, mainly have to do with the restore. Otherwise I'd prefer a swap too. Knew what I was getting into before ordering the BBK, made sure to have a backup engine in case this one goes boom. Doing a bit of experimenting with fuel mixtures. Most 4 stroke BBK's are able to be installed without lube Probs because they don't use that pump. I'm keeping mine as a recommendation from Shawn, and will adjust my additional ratio in the tank to where I'm guessing it needs to be. I wanna try feeding those lines a more gas based feed best I can and see what happens. If my Temps get past 280, I'll shut it down. That won't tell me if I'm lubricating the piston enough, but should hopefully reduce lean conditions. Anybody have thoughts on it?
Meatball
CB900F
CB900F

Post by Meatball »

I ran out of patience trying to get the Spree motor to perform. It does an EXCELLENT job at doing what it was designed to do....go 25-30mph with slow acceleration. After I threw everything but the kitchen sink at the NQ50 motor I was still unimpressed. I took the plunge and swapped in a SE50 variated Elite motor and now I run 40-43mph on flat(48mph down hills!) all day long while leaving most cars in the dust at stop lights. Hill climbs are a breeze too, best of both worlds. My only problem now is trying to rig up more fuel capacity.
I need to find some new haters...the ones I have are starting to like me.
eclark5483
CB900F
CB900F

Post by eclark5483 »

Patience is all I have. Been going at it since like the end of April. It will all make sense once I post the pictures and explanations behind them.
eclark5483
CB900F
CB900F

Post by eclark5483 »

K guys, Shawn is telling me figure out what Jet size we want to use before performing the test. Saves me the labor cost if I can get it narrowed down to a certain jet size that should be tried. Like to do multiple guys, start a gofundme for me if you must, but sorry, will only allow 1 jet change in my labor budget.

So yeah, here's my crazy thoughts, maybe I'm way off here, and I trust you guys, but I wanna try a 40:1 with oil pump installed for break in and switch to 50:1 after. That's a bit less oil then the 32:1 but I am confident the pump will pick up the slack. But I have a crazy notion that you could break in with 50:1 and just give the Spree a little shot of oil in the tank at fill up and be on your merry way. A couple of things also lead me to believe that even though a bunch of you guys say you go lean at WOT, that the solution is not to throw more premixed gas/oil at it, but to let the fuel and air mix guide the way, and tweak your lubricating after. I'd even bet that a SMALLER jet might suit the BBK best... dunno..

Shawn says do my research...(AKA, ASK YOU GUYS), and see where we should proceed.. Taz this is YOUR BBK, do you have any thoughts on my crazy notion?

So jet size, and what should I try break in/Dyno oil/fuel mix at?

EDIT: Shawn thinks it MIGHT be possible to run the BBK with just the pump and fill up without premix.
Last edited by eclark5483 on Sun Aug 07, 2016 2:24 am, edited 1 time in total.
eclark5483
CB900F
CB900F

Post by eclark5483 »

Update... just got back from the shop, and I was talking to him about some of the concerns that the Spree would not spin the Dyno drum.

He said it's a 1,000lb drum, but uses inertia something or other...

Code: Select all

INSERT TECH JARGON HERE
Long story short, said it should be no problem at all, showed me how you can get it spinning with just a light rub of your shoe on it... cool!!

A picture of the machine:

He also said I can record the Dyno test being done to post here on the forums. So I'll get that lined up once the test conditions are sorted out.

BTW, just HAD to snap this sneak peek pic of the Spree.

Last edited by eclark5483 on Sun Aug 07, 2016 1:38 am, edited 1 time in total.
jakubman1
Elite
Elite

Post by jakubman1 »

Nice scooter. I still would like to see someone had success with the TAZ BBK. Something is fishy with those kits.
IMO they are JUNK. Stick with the stock domed piston and your safe. Unless you replace the carb and put a larger intake the kit WILL NOT WORK !

All I hear is BBK issue this BBK issue that. I wish I could get my money back. I could have gotten and ELITE motor swap and be happpy
patthesoundguy

Post by patthesoundguy »

I had great luck with my spree big bore kit. And years ago there were lots of guys running the bbkits. There were even 44mm kits. I miss it. I think the missing link is a better carb which I had. I also had a rad malossi hi comp oring head on it too. Wish I could have run it on the dyno.
Dude! Ya Can't Fix Stupid!
84 Spree stock
84 Spree Dio AF18E MHR Cylinder Arrow Pipe 28mm OKO
80 Express, 47mm DR BBKit, Weak Ends Intake, Boyesen Dual stage reeds, 19mm Delorto carb, MLM pipe
79 Express
85 Aero 80 stock
84 elite 125 stock
eclark5483
CB900F
CB900F

Post by eclark5483 »

Noiseguy, could you send me a filter that is as close in spec to an exact factory replacement as possible? I think you have my address. If not PM me and I'll shoot that your way.
eclark5483
CB900F
CB900F

Post by eclark5483 »

patthesoundguy wrote:I think the missing link is a better carb
I disagree, I think the missing link is a better intake. Though a better carb would absolutely help. It's why I want to find the SB50 reeds to swap, and I have an intake in mind as well.
intake.jpg
intake.jpg (16.11 KiB) Viewed 7411 times