Heat creep

The place to discuss rides, accessories, or whatever is tangentially Spree/Elite-related

Moderator: Moderator

MrJumps
CB900F
CB900F

Heat creep

Post by MrJumps »

I am a believes that a engine will steady out with heat. If you where able to build a race motor that you could wot for a hour temps should keep creeping.
Wheelman-111 wrote:Greetings:

I must agree with Mr. Jumps. If the temperature doesn't steady out there's something wrong. If I see a slow climb I search for air leaks with carb cleaner or an unlit propane torch. If none are apparent, upjet the main however much is needed to achieve stability. Sometimes an air leak only happens with a hot engine; look for telltale base and head gasket seepage.
Now I have also been told a while back and for the life or me I cannot find it. But it whent a little like this. 'The temp will creep as long as your on the throttle because a bigger bore makes more heat and is only the same size ouside as a 50cc bore.'

Now if commen sense is hitting me square and staright than I belive that a 50cc bore and 72cc bore will have totaly difrent sizes and fin surface.

I am wanting input from quite a few members to see what they say. I am about to start tuneing along with others. The main question is "if you were to wot for 30 plus minutes would temps creep if the engine is build correct or will they even out?"

Thank you guys!
1993 ch80, swapped with a ch250
2021 DRZ400sm :worship:
noiseguy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Heat creep

Post by noiseguy »

Heat creep just means you're producing more heat than engine can reject. Easiest way to make this happen is to run too thin on main jet and rocket around places.

Good point on smaller fins for a 70cc vs 50cc... but experience with members here is that the Elite's cooling system can handle the load in either case... lots of ppl have scoots that don't have this issue.
Admin, Hondaspree.net

Buy air filters and gaskets here (Ebay): http://stores.ebay.com/noiseguysstore
Buy air filters and gaskets here (Amazon): www.amazon.com/shops/spreepower
Buy a t-shirt here: https://teespring.com/stores/spree-powersport-products
MrJumps
CB900F
CB900F

Post by MrJumps »

Im refering to wot for a while, the engine should even out after a while, if it dosnt then you would have an airleak. This is how I understand it.
Meloshameless
Elite
Elite

Post by Meloshameless »

My purple elite can go all day wot and stay between 280-340. My other elite will hit 350 after 5-10 mins of wot and even climb to 380 on a long hill climb, which is when i pull over and let it cool down. I remedied a crank seal leak and the problem Persists, however it has a 23mm carb and a arrow pipe, where my purple bike has a 21mm and yasuni. These are the only differences. Im leaning towards the carb being larger but i dunno. Gonna put an air scoop and hopefully that remedies it. Oh also the hotter running bike's plugs always tell me its rich....
2000 Honda SR (purple swurp)
corsa
naruku
polini 21 cp 36/106 pod filter
polini vari 5.5 gram
zx trans
Polini evo2 clutch/bell yellow springs (slacked) yellow contra
Yasuni C16
stock crank/gears=wheelie machine
70 mph/12,470 rpm Trail tech vapor verified
patthesoundguy

Post by patthesoundguy »

Should be able to run WOT and it should even out, creeping means it lean or not getting enough airflow or both. The fan should keep it cool enough as long as all of the shrouds are in place. My Dio af18 with the arrow copy pipe and big carb maxed out at 325F
Dude! Ya Can't Fix Stupid!
84 Spree stock
84 Spree Dio AF18E MHR Cylinder Arrow Pipe 28mm OKO
80 Express, 47mm DR BBKit, Weak Ends Intake, Boyesen Dual stage reeds, 19mm Delorto carb, MLM pipe
79 Express
85 Aero 80 stock
84 elite 125 stock
'O'VerSe
BMX
BMX

Post by 'O'VerSe »

Higher rpms higher heat. Air cooled engine. Fan, cover, shroud, and outside air can only do so much.
1986 Honda spree-Horizontal Minarelli-70cc Polini Corsa-21mm Dellorto-Stage6 intake-Stage6 V force reeds-Hoca variator-4g rollers-Motoforce clutch-Tecnigas Next-R exhaust
GuavaJam
Spree
Spree

Post by GuavaJam »

Wait, so u guys r saying if our 72cc bikes r tuned right, it should b able to go WOT on flat ground for longer than 5-10 minutes, with the temps reaching a point where it no longer increases? Presumably under 400F? Wow, my bike never did that
MrJumps
CB900F
CB900F

Post by MrJumps »

GuavaJam wrote:Wait, so u guys r saying if our 72cc bikes r tuned right, it should b able to go WOT on flat ground for longer than 5-10 minutes, with the temps reaching a point where it no longer increases? Presumably under 400F? Wow, my bike never did that
Yes, the way I see it is that, if you own a 2 stroke weed eater, power washer, etc you run that machine for your buisness for 8 hours straight wot most of the time. I have heard of Hawaiians running the whole large island at wot, ive been told by pretty much every vespa owner that you can sit in a high gear at wot for ever. Ive sat on wot on my car for a half hour one time. It just dosnt make sense why you cant wot for extended times if your bike is good.
patthesoundguy

Post by patthesoundguy »

GuavaJam wrote:Wait, so u guys r saying if our 72cc bikes r tuned right, it should b able to go WOT on flat ground for longer than 5-10 minutes, with the temps reaching a point where it no longer increases? Presumably under 400F? Wow, my bike never did that
Yup if my malossi mhr aluminium cylinder ran up to 400f it would mean certain death I'm sure especially where the aluminum reacts and spikes so quickly
Dude! Ya Can't Fix Stupid!
84 Spree stock
84 Spree Dio AF18E MHR Cylinder Arrow Pipe 28mm OKO
80 Express, 47mm DR BBKit, Weak Ends Intake, Boyesen Dual stage reeds, 19mm Delorto carb, MLM pipe
79 Express
85 Aero 80 stock
84 elite 125 stock
1man8scoots
CB900F
CB900F

Post by 1man8scoots »

Higher rpm does not equal higher heat. Tuning is crucial.
It should be able to wot for as long as you want to. If not check for air leaks or upjet. If plug is wet you have an airleak.
GuavaJam
Spree
Spree

Post by GuavaJam »

What are the most common places of air leaks? Found one on my mani, but bike still running hot.
MrJumps
CB900F
CB900F

Post by MrJumps »

Your case, intake, carb boot, ead, sparkplug hole, base gasket. Anywhere that can be split apart can leak.