Nq50 questions

The place to discuss rides, accessories, or whatever is tangentially Spree/Elite-related

Moderator: Moderator

Ethan636
Noob
Noob

Nq50 questions

Post by Ethan636 »

I was wondering what carbs will fit on the nq50, specifically if the nb50 carb will fit on the nq50?
jerz40
Elite
Elite

Re: Nq50 questions

Post by jerz40 »

I actually have tried this myself and sadly the NB50 carburetor will not work on the NQ50 due to the location of the BI-starter. The carbs are literally the same, just Honda put the BI-starter on the opposite side, so when you try to bolt it up to a Spree, the shock is in the way and you can't bolt it on.

You wouldn't believe the irritating minor little changes Honda made to these scooters, I hate that because when you try to cross-over a part to a different bike, this minor little change makes a huge difference.
Ethan636
Noob
Noob

Post by Ethan636 »

Shoot yeah I was hoping it would be compatible because of the significant price difference between the two, do you know of any that are compatible
jerz40
Elite
Elite

Post by jerz40 »

IKR! Hard to believe the same seller sells the NB50 carbs for $18 and the NQ50 ones for $80! I'm currently looking everywhere I can to find a compatible carburetor for the NQ50, cuz those new ones are soooo expensive.
Ethan636
Noob
Noob

Post by Ethan636 »

Yes exactly I have yet to find one as well and don't know if it's worth 37 dollars for the rebuild kit either
Ethan636
Noob
Noob

Post by Ethan636 »

Also have you tried the sb50 at all? I'm not as familiar with it but curious if it would be another option
jerz40
Elite
Elite

Post by jerz40 »

Ethan636 wrote:Yes exactly I have yet to find one as well and don't know if it's worth 37 dollars for the rebuild kit either
I agree, $37 isn't worth it. You could buy that kit, and rebuild your carb, but that isn't going to solve the problem as the actual issue lies in the carburetor jet pathways or whatever you call it. I literally purchased this stuff called "Chem-Dip" carburetor cleaner, I left a carb in there for a whole week, rinsed it out, and blew it out with my high PSI compressor and that still didn't fix the problem. It seems to me these carbs that are 30 years old are so gunked up that you just can't get them clean enough, which is so frustrating when you go through all that work. :x
jerz40
Elite
Elite

Post by jerz40 »

Ethan636 wrote:Also have you tried the sb50 at all? I'm not as familiar with it but curious if it would be another option
The SB50 is basically a spree itself, which is actually what took over the spree after it's run in 87. The carb and engine are the same AF05E motors, and have the same carburetors, the only difference in the carb is the oil inlet for the injector that is on the carb, which on the spree it goes in through the intake. But an SB50 carb will still work on a spree, you just can't put a spree carb on a SB50 because the oil inlet isn't on the spree carbs. Get it? Hopefully that ain't too confusing.

When you buy a spree nq50 carb for $80 bucks, they will ship you an Elite sb50 carb, as they are the same, only difference is what I mentioned above.
Meatball
CB900F
CB900F

Post by Meatball »

Youd think with all these guys hopping up their Sprees there would be a bunch stock NQ50 carbs lying around. Post an ad in the "wanted" section and see what you get. I have a spare carb but its attached to a motor and I need it for a future build. Another spare I have is junk with stripped threads and no float assembly.

Them stock carbs are very resilient. I had one in pretty bad shape and got it going with extensive cleaning. I had to replace all the rubber since they were trash. I just bought a gasket kit and a float valve...cheaper than an entire rebuild kit which is insanely priced.
I need to find some new haters...the ones I have are starting to like me.
Ethan636
Noob
Noob

Post by Ethan636 »

jerz40 wrote:
Ethan636 wrote:Also have you tried the sb50 at all? I'm not as familiar with it but curious if it would be another option
The SB50 is basically a spree itself, which is actually what took over the spree after it's run in 87. The carb and engine are the same AF05E motors, and have the same carburetors, the only difference in the carb is the oil inlet for the injector that is on the carb, which on the spree it goes in through the intake. But an SB50 carb will still work on a spree, you just can't put a spree carb on a SB50 because the oil inlet isn't on the spree carbs. Get it? Hopefully that ain't too confusing.

When you buy a spree nq50 carb for $80 bucks, they will ship you an Elite sb50 carb, as they are the same, only difference is what I mentioned above.
Ok yes that makes sense thank you
eclark5483
CB900F
CB900F

Post by eclark5483 »

My carb goes, I won't even play around with rebuilding, I'll just get a Polini for it.
Ethan636
Noob
Noob

Post by Ethan636 »

eclark5483 wrote:My carb goes, I won't even play around with rebuilding, I'll just get a Polini for it.

What kind of carb like do you have a specific one that you have tried that works?
eclark5483
CB900F
CB900F

Post by eclark5483 »

jakubman1
Elite
Elite

Post by jakubman1 »

I have a carb complete from an 86. its just GUNKY AS HECK !. Lemme know if you wanna buy it. Everything is there :)
patthesoundguy

Post by patthesoundguy »

Don't buy one of the knock off spree carbs. As far as I know, no one has been able to make one work. The main issue to spree carbs are the pilot jet orifice in th go at bowl and possibly bad bystarter. Occasionally you might have to pop the emulsion tube out and clear it but they don't tend to get gummed up. If staying stock and have a bum carb buy used. If going bbk go polini
Dude! Ya Can't Fix Stupid!
84 Spree stock
84 Spree Dio AF18E MHR Cylinder Arrow Pipe 28mm OKO
80 Express, 47mm DR BBKit, Weak Ends Intake, Boyesen Dual stage reeds, 19mm Delorto carb, MLM pipe
79 Express
85 Aero 80 stock
84 elite 125 stock