Spree Petcock covers

The place to discuss rides, accessories, or whatever is tangentially Spree/Elite-related

Moderator: Moderator

AJPace98
Noob
Noob

Spree Petcock covers

Post by AJPace98 »

Hi, I am new here, but not new too sprees. I have a 3d printer, and I am willing to reproduce Petcock covers for just the cost of ABS plastic and shipping. Only problem, I cannot find the correct STL file anywhere online!

If anyone has the file, please let me know.
Thanks!!
mousewheels
Veteran OG
Veteran OG

Re: Spree Petcock covers

Post by mousewheels »

Check with member Dr_Craw at the thread linked, he was scanning an .stl file Click Me
jerz40
Elite
Elite

Post by jerz40 »

If you can make these, I'd be an interested buyer for more than a dozen of them. And they don't even haft to have color, as I would be painting them to match perfectly with the bike. Keep us posted! :)
eclark5483
CB900F
CB900F

Post by eclark5483 »

Wish someone would make some. Not just because people need them, but because scandalous bas*&rds are over pricing them at a huge premium. You could throw em up on eBay, undercut their price bigtime, and still make a decent profit. It would force them to quit pricing them as if they were gold.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/182315013052

And like jerz40 was saying, COLOR DOESN'T MATTER. Most any of us who want/need one are doing a restore. Most anybody else doesn't care about a tiny cover missing off their scoot. So we will more then likely paint them anyway.

If you REALLY want to do some Spree parts, do glove boxes too. Those are even harder to find then petcock covers because they were an optional accessory except on the 87's.
Meatball
CB900F
CB900F

Post by Meatball »

I looked into injection molding for petcock covers, gloveboxes, etc....Price per unit is pocket change but you have to purchase the mold before you can go into production. The mold STARTS at about $3000 and can get as much as $5000. Depending on quality of materials used to make the mold and how many injections you need the mold to achieve before degradation.

Once you purchase the mold, theres a minimum unit run you must do. I believe the lowest run was 100 units.

So if you bought a "cheap" $3000 mold and had only 100 made...youd have to sell all 100 of them for about $32 each just to break even.

Somebody start a GO-Fund Me page for this! I need to raise $5000 for molds!
I need to find some new haters...the ones I have are starting to like me.
MrJumps
CB900F
CB900F

Post by MrJumps »

Or you can 3d print them at about 25 a pop in materials and labor with a tough plastic with very little error and in any color avalible and sell them for 45 a pop shipped.
1993 ch80, swapped with a ch250
2021 DRZ400sm :worship:
Meatball
CB900F
CB900F

Post by Meatball »

I looked at 3d printers also...one large enough to do a glovebox is nearly $10k...you could buy a 3d printer for $200 if you wanna make buttons all day.
AJPace98
Noob
Noob

Post by AJPace98 »

my printer is large enough to do both, just no stl files available. i messaged the person who did sort of an autocad drawing, but have not heard back. I am willing to make in colors, and just at what the actual cost is. or just make in plain white.
coctailer
BMX
BMX

Post by coctailer »

In for a cover fo sho!!
Meatball
CB900F
CB900F

Post by Meatball »

AJPace98 wrote:my printer is large enough to do both.
A glovebox is roughly 13"x10". Your printer has to be the size of a refrigerator!....pics or it didn't happen.
MrJumps
CB900F
CB900F

Post by MrJumps »

Its not hard to get a 3d printer that size
1993 ch80, swapped with a ch250
2021 DRZ400sm :worship:
AJPace98
Noob
Noob

Post by AJPace98 »

dont worry about the size of mine, just try to find stl files and ill make the parts. AT COST. Thanks!
jerz40
Elite
Elite

Post by jerz40 »

Hey!
How are we doing on this??
Meatball
CB900F
CB900F

Post by Meatball »

Sounds like we need to take one to a 3d scanning place to have it scanned. Then converted to an STL file so the printer can do its magic. Scanning/converting fee looks to be a couple hundred bucks.

This is what I gather from literally minutes of research. I could be wrong.
jerz40
Elite
Elite

Post by jerz40 »

Meatball wrote:Sounds like we need to take one to a 3d scanning place to have it scanned. Then converted to an STL file so the printer can do its magic. Scanning/converting fee looks to be a couple hundred bucks.

This is what I gather from literally minutes of research. I could be wrong.

Hasn't tho someone already done this? I swear I found a older thread from a while back that showed this before. I could be wrong. Hmm :?