Are Spree NQ50 Starter Motors fixable?

The place to discuss rides, accessories, or whatever is tangentially Spree/Elite-related

Moderator: Moderator

jerz40
Elite
Elite

Are Spree NQ50 Starter Motors fixable?

Post by jerz40 »

So I have a box full of bad spree starter motors, has to be atleast a dozen, I hate to throw them away because some look to be in perfect shape still, and at the same time I know I'll be needing many more down the road. So my question is are these REBUILDABLE? I would think they are, but never attempted to tear one apart. Let me know what you guys think, or if someone has rebuilt one how did it turn out? Thanks! :smile:
MrJumps
CB900F
CB900F

Re: Are Spree NQ50 Starter Motors fixable?

Post by MrJumps »

I have a rebuilt one sitting on the bench someone else rebuilt it before I got it and it worked just as good as stock oem.

http://www.hondaspree.net/phpBB3/viewto ... f=3&t=4575

Tl80 brushes seem to be a common pop up when searched for. I thought there was a wiki on this but apparently not.
1993 ch80, swapped with a ch250
2021 DRZ400sm :worship:
eclark5483
CB900F
CB900F

Post by eclark5483 »

Had mine rebuilt, works awesome.
jerz40
Elite
Elite

Post by jerz40 »

Great! This is just the news I wanted to hear! Glad I never threw any in the scrap bin.
eclark5483
CB900F
CB900F

Post by eclark5483 »

Depends on what's out in it really. Typically, it's the bendix that goes out on a starter, sometimes the bushings are shot or need greased, sometimes the armature needs turned. You'd just have to tear it apart and inspect it. For the most part, you may not need to spend a dime, it might just be all cruded up, tear it apart, clean it out, regrease it, try it out, you might be surprised.
jerz40
Elite
Elite

Post by jerz40 »

eclark5483 wrote:Depends on what's out in it really. Typically, it's the bendix that goes out on a starter, sometimes the bushings are shot or need greased, sometimes the armature needs turned. You'd just have to tear it apart and inspect it. For the most part, you may not need to spend a dime, it might just be all cruded up, tear it apart, clean it out, regrease it, try it out, you might be surprised.
Thanks for the help! I'll do that, hopefully maybe that's all they need, considering there age. :)
eclark5483
CB900F
CB900F

Post by eclark5483 »

Yea, 30+ year old starter in ANY machine, you know there has to be issues. They're sealed, but oxidation/rusting can still happen, ware down can create dirt and metal shavings causing the bendix to stick and not engage, or bearings to be tight.. Like on mine, the handlebars were a little squeaky and rough after sitting in a barn for 15 years. I couldn't get bearings for it anymore, so all I could do was very carefully clean them up and re-grease it. Works great now. A starter really ain't much different as far as natural aging goes. So just some simple greasing might save you the expense of tracking down parts that are hard enough to find as it is. Maybe I'm kind of a cheapskate, though you couldn't tell by looking at the money I wrapped up in fixing one. But re-greasing EVERYTHING should always be a part of a decent restore. It pays for itself in parts that you don't need to hunt down and buy for a ridiculous price.
MrJumps
CB900F
CB900F

Post by MrJumps »

A lot of failed starters are burned up imo a majority of older post are on the biased of burning it up from heavy usage.
1993 ch80, swapped with a ch250
2021 DRZ400sm :worship:
jerz40
Elite
Elite

Post by jerz40 »

MrJumps wrote:A lot of failed starters are burned up imo a majority of older post are on the biased of burning it up from heavy usage.
Yea, there are some that can get burned up, this occurs I believe when someone just lays on the starter button hoping for it to start when it never does. I thought I heard somewhere before 3 seconds is all you should hold it down for, may or may not be true, but I do it for only 3 seconds anyways just to not drain my battery so much and/or burn up my starter.
The kick-start is another area that I always find needs to be greased, but very carefully so the belt doesn't get anything on it.
jerz40
Elite
Elite

Post by jerz40 »

eclark5483 wrote:Yea, 30+ year old starter in ANY machine, you know there has to be issues. They're sealed, but oxidation/rusting can still happen, ware down can create dirt and metal shavings causing the bendix to stick and not engage, or bearings to be tight.. Like on mine, the handlebars were a little squeaky and rough after sitting in a barn for 15 years. I couldn't get bearings for it anymore, so all I could do was very carefully clean them up and re-grease it. Works great now. A starter really ain't much different as far as natural aging goes. So just some simple greasing might save you the expense of tracking down parts that are hard enough to find as it is. Maybe I'm kind of a cheapskate, though you couldn't tell by looking at the money I wrapped up in fixing one. But re-greasing EVERYTHING should always be a part of a decent restore. It pays for itself in parts that you don't need to hunt down and buy for a ridiculous price.
Yup exactly! I'm hoping I can get a bunch of them fixed, because as I'm sure you know, starters on ebay go anywhere from $50 to even $150! I'm not gonna spend that much on starter, I can literally pick up a whole bike off craigslist for that. :)
jerz40
Elite
Elite

Post by jerz40 »

eclark5483 wrote:Depends on what's out in it really. Typically, it's the bendix that goes out on a starter, sometimes the bushings are shot or need greased, sometimes the armature needs turned. You'd just have to tear it apart and inspect it. For the most part, you may not need to spend a dime, it might just be all cruded up, tear it apart, clean it out, regrease it, try it out, you might be surprised.
I gotta give you credit! Tore apart 10 starters, and got 8 out of 10 working again! :woot:

The majority of them that I opened up were CRUSTY AND DRY! Cleaned out the magnetic area with a brush, oiled and greased em up where it spins, tested em out and they worked just like new! Saved me a ton of money and STARTERS! :D