Hello from Wisconsin

The place to discuss rides, accessories, or whatever is tangentially Spree/Elite-related

Moderator: Moderator

Tiki Vegas
Noob
Noob

Hello from Wisconsin

Post by Tiki Vegas »

Hello from Wisconsin.
My dad had a couple Sprees back in the 80's. One he sold, the other he took "up to the cabin" to use on the wood lanes. He didn't use it much, had a problem with gas leaking. It sat under a tarp for 10 years.
My son and I have it now, brought it back home. It's a basic black Spree. Very good condition considering the last decade it was idle.

Of course it has it's problems and we didn't know where to start. Starting would be a good start! My son is 17 and helped me renew the carburetor, decipher the ignition wires--the key cylinder switch doesn't work electrically, connect a battery, air up the tires, drain gas, replace the gas lines and a few other things to get it going. We did this back in September and don't remember everything. But the last hold up for starting was a mud dauber nest in the exhaust pipe. Happy to report the major problem with gasoline leaking was solved by following your good information in the Wiki section. I had never worked on a small engine before and we actually had fun doing this for an afternoon.

When we got the carb adjustments correct it was time to take it up and down the street. We can tell you that even without the air cleaner, it will run (that part has since been replaced on advice on this forum). According to what the erratic speedometer says; we were doing 70 mph in a 25 mph zone--it was buried anyway. Add that to the list of "to do's".

Soon we will get the Spree out of the garage, hopefully have a new battery and we will chip away at the deficiencies. With any luck the boy will be able to ride to work this summer. There are a few things to do to make this Spree street legal once again and will be back with a few questions.

Chris C
Meatball
CB900F
CB900F

Re: Hello from Wisconsin

Post by Meatball »

With a Spree gear ratio of 6.9, Tire diameter of 15.5" and a speed of 70mph...youd need to be spinning 10,470 rpms.

Explain how this was achieved. As far as I know, they quit making Liquid Shwartz in the 80's.
I need to find some new haters...the ones I have are starting to like me.
eclark5483
CB900F
CB900F

Post by eclark5483 »

Pretty sure you meant 25 in a 70mph zone.
benji
CB900F
CB900F

Post by benji »

I think he meant his speedo is broken haha.

My scooter has no speedo, so it goes as fast as my IMAGINATION.
benji
CB900F
CB900F

Post by benji »

Which is not that fast.
ngoethel
Noob
Noob

Post by ngoethel »

Hello fellow Wisconsinite!