What Attracted you to Honda Scooters?

The place to discuss rides, accessories, or whatever is tangentially Spree/Elite-related

Moderator: Moderator

Kustomkarma
Elite
Elite

What Attracted you to Honda Scooters?

Post by Kustomkarma »

Just like the title says, what attracted you to Honda Scooters? More specifically, the Spree and or Elite. What do they represent to you? If you had to put it into words what would sum up the Spree / Elite experience for you? I'm not writing a thesis or anything, but I'm kind of kicking around the idea of designing a T-Shirt to let people know what I'm into. I figured a good way to wrap my head around it was to first find out what brought us all to this forum in the first place. Why do we ride and own these little buggers? Descriptions, poems, images, lists of words, rock operas are all welcomed responses! :coolcruise:
eclark5483
CB900F
CB900F

Re: What Attracted you to Honda Scooters?

Post by eclark5483 »

It was cheap. I only paid $75 for my first Spree. I only had 1 purpose for it at the time. Use it to train my special needs children to ride. The small size, and weak power of the Spree was perfect. The plan was, after they learned to drive on the beat up ole' Spree, that they would graduate to the next level and use brand new bikes of their own and the Spree would be sold for a couple hundred. Only problem was... and this is what brought me to this forum... is that my son decided he didn't want to try a bigger bike. He only wanted to drive the Spree. So there I had a brand new Blue ATM50-A1 sitting in the garage in a crate waiting for my boy, and he wanted nothing to do with it because he liked the Spree. So my wife and I talked it over, decided, well, OK, if he wants the Spree, were gonna need to fix it up for him. Parts for it weren't available like they are on a Chinese scoot, so off I went to this forum to get help with my quest restoring it and making it run perfect. I spent alot, but it was worth it and I'd do it all over again.. actually, I am doing it all over again. Got my Spree's brother in the garage waiting on it's own transformation.
Meatball
CB900F
CB900F

Post by Meatball »

Theyre cheap fun. Can fix pretty much anything on it for $20. Don't need a motorcycle license or insurance to legally ride them. Unlike cars today, they don't require a laptop and software to monkey with them. Plenty more reasons for me.
I need to find some new haters...the ones I have are starting to like me.
kevinv710
Spree
Spree

Post by kevinv710 »

she was 16, i was 17. She rode her Spree to school, i rode my...legs
motormike

Post by motormike »

Lifelong loyalty to Honda precipitated my choice once I had advanced into scooters.
The progression goes something like this:
1. Spree
2. Aero 50
3. Express
4. Urban Express
5. Elite 80
6. Aero 125
7. Aero 80
8. Aero 125(again)
9. Elite 150
10. Elite E
11. Elite SR
12. Helix ('86)
13. Helix ('00)
14. Helix ('04)
Attachments
Honda Helix 04.jpg
Honda Helix 04.jpg (58.98 KiB) Viewed 7762 times
RideRed
<Gyro S><MB5><Honda Navi><Helix><Sym Wolf><Yamaha Razz><Honda CH150 Deluxe>
"Live Large - Ride Small"
motormike

Post by motormike »

See how she sparkles,
stands out in a crowd.
Her tone is pleasing,
she's never too loud.
Isn't she curvy ?
Her every move
reminds me of dancing,
she's SO in the groove.
She softens the blow
of bumps in the road.
She never complains
when sharing my load.
Her days are busy.
How does she survive ?
The dangerous city
could eat her alive.
Yet, always ready
for pleasuring me.
She's in the garage,
and I've got the key.
I've looked high and low,
I've looked on computer.
I can't find a woman
As good as my scooter.
RideRed
<Gyro S><MB5><Honda Navi><Helix><Sym Wolf><Yamaha Razz><Honda CH150 Deluxe>
"Live Large - Ride Small"
Kustomkarma
Elite
Elite

Post by Kustomkarma »

That's great! I kinda figured you might be our first bit of poetry lol. :blah:
Xxbeejay45xx
Elite
Elite

Post by Xxbeejay45xx »

Growing up in Hawaii you see theses things always. Moped are seen everyday zooming in out and around town all day. I had a neighbor that always rode one and always messing with it. First I ever saw soupped up was his Honda aero af16e. I always see it and always smelt that lovely 2 stroke smoke. One early Sunday morning as I was rubber banding newspaper for early delivery he came home and I said to him "Sam can I ride?" Then he looked at me and said (sure brah don't crash um yeah!) from that moment on... I felt the need for one! But unfortunately it costs so much for one over there. I had a couple and a few friends helped along the way.... but it wasn't until I moved 15yrs later I stumbled upon Hondaspree.net and ohh man it was over!! Growing up my family very very poor, so having them help me buy one was impossible. Now I have a good job and have funds to buy one and build one myself. It started with Sam my neighbor.... cool cat scooting around town that got me hooked at a young age. 2 wheel passion is what I have and the 2 stroke obsession is still going strong. I have had bikes growing up but until I was an adult that I could make these purchases on my own. My wife rides, my son rides, my daughter rides only around the hood cause they aren't old enough for road action yet... all of us ride and one day I'll snap a photo of us 4 on scooters. It's fun, it's silly, it's really smoky and oily but hey if you don't love it you won't be able to be around it at all. My family has come to love it like I do cause I show it and I'm always messing in the garage. That's what kinda keeps our family tighter cause everyone likes them mopeds like me. It's not just mopeds here it's part of me and I don't care if I'm a 34yr old man on a moped zooming around town. I LOVE IT! 2 stroke 4 life!
95 Elite SR af16e
72cc Polini Corsa
28 Oko Carb 58/144
Ported intake
ZX Trans
Polini vari, clutch, springs
5.5 rollers
Malossi crank , CDI
Genuine Arrow pipe
Front and Rear disc brakes
Dio Live headset
Stretch and fatty rear wheel
Kustomkarma
Elite
Elite

Post by Kustomkarma »

Great story! Keep them coming. :)
burnt_toast
Veteran OG
Veteran OG

Post by burnt_toast »

motormike wrote:See how she sparkles,
stands out in a crowd.
Her tone is pleasing,
she's never too loud.
Isn't she curvy ?
Her every move
reminds me of dancing,
she's SO in the groove.
She softens the blow
of bumps in the road.
She never complains
when sharing my load.
Her days are busy.
How does she survive ?
The dangerous city
could eat her alive.
Yet, always ready
for pleasuring me.
She's in the garage,
and I've got the key.
I've looked high and low,
I've looked on computer.
I can't find a woman
As good as my scooter.
This is the best!! :love:
projects galore :nerd:
benji
CB900F
CB900F

Post by benji »

My brother got into them, hard. He really wanted these two scooters on cl, pile of '85 aero50 and a pile of elite e. He worked his * trying to get it running, then couldn't find parts :/ he found a yamaha razz for cheap, and he rode it EVERYWHERE. Like on 70-80 mile rides. At 30mph haha. I rode it a couple times and loved it, and I liked the Hawaiian scoots I was seeing, and the ruckuses. Eventually I bought my aero 50, and started ordering parts. Now I have more scooters and parts than I know what to do with haha.
lite02
Noob
Noob

Post by lite02 »

Great stories on here! I always admire how tough these scoots are. Thought it might be a fun project so I'm getting one.
85Aero80Guy
BMX
BMX

Post by 85Aero80Guy »

I bought a red Spree at 14yrs in 1986 after a summer of mowing lawns.
My dream scooter was the Aero 80.

I'm a Gen Xer living on the beach and wanted an old school retro 2 stroke. I found a 1 owner 85 Aero 80 that had been sitting in the back corner of a mom and pop repair garage. It had white paint over-spray all over it, rusted wheels and rear rack. Everything else was mint condition. Never down, no scratches in the plastics and the seat is perfect.
The white paint easily came off and its almost a museum piece now.

So to answer your question, it brings me back to my childhood. That's why