greetings from St. Louis

The place to discuss rides, accessories, or whatever is tangentially Spree/Elite-related

Moderator: Moderator

thxcuz
BMX
BMX

greetings from St. Louis

Post by thxcuz »

Hi folks,
I may be getting a spree soon through a trade for a Chinese 150 that I just can't seem to finish fixing up. I got the 150 through another trade for some stuff I didn't need. Alas, the 150 is huge and I'm tired of spending hours working on it and the end result still being Chinese.
I currently ride a 50 Chinese with a 47mm bbk.
I have in the past owned a Puch Maxi that I kick myself on a daily basis for selling

So, if the deal goes through, I will have a spree that needs a battery (I have one already), a kickstart gear and a rear tire...and most likely other stuff that the guy is unaware of or isn't telling me.
Nevertheless, I am looking forward to owning a Honda that isn't a minivan (just a mini scoot). While we are on the subject of mini...I'm 5'11 and 235 lbs. I plan on kitting it and possibly re gearing and getting a pipe for it. With those mods will I be satisfied with performance? I rode a razz in college and as I recall I was ok with the size and speed (but that was 25 years ago)

I suppose I can fix it up, learn a few new things and If I don't like it I can sell it for something bigger.

or the deal may fall through entirely, I dunno.

Anyhoo...I have enjoyed reading up on the subject of the Honda Spree and I have already learned alot about Honda scooters.

See you in the forum. Or maybe on the road
Big McLargehuge!
motormike

Re: greetings from St. Louis

Post by motormike »

Welcome thxcuz... :hi:
Good to SEE you....pm sent
Attachments
Marty Feldman.jpg
Marty Feldman.jpg (18.78 KiB) Viewed 8229 times
RideRed
<Gyro S><MB5><Honda Navi><Helix><Sym Wolf><Yamaha Razz><Honda CH150 Deluxe>
"Live Large - Ride Small"
thxcuz
BMX
BMX

Post by thxcuz »

so who here is from St. Louis? I know you are out there, I've seen your pictures in front of Seamus Mcdaniel's pub. If there are any St. Louis folks still on this forum, PM me.
South Side
Big McLargehuge!
Meatball
CB900F
CB900F

Post by Meatball »

thxcuz wrote:I plan on kitting it and possibly re gearing and getting a pipe for it. With those mods will I be satisfied with performance?
A kit, gears and a pipe for the Spree will cost you roughly $400 give or take...of course you'll need a carb for the kit which is another Hundo. All this will result in 40mph.

Or you could save yourself a few hundred dollars and very simply install a motor from a 94-01 Elite with a variator (V-matic variable ratio transmission). These motors in STOCK form do 40mph. Then you can upgrade from there to 50-60-70 or even 80mph if you wanna go nuts. Tons of threads on here that document plenty of motor swaps and their upgrades.
Last edited by Meatball on Wed May 10, 2017 5:41 am, edited 1 time in total.
I need to find some new haters...the ones I have are starting to like me.
thxcuz
BMX
BMX

Post by thxcuz »

Trouble is finding them around here. I never see any elites on cl except sometimes an 80 shows up and they want 900 for it. I'm not against swapping at all. I just haven't come across the parts yet
Big McLargehuge!
eclark5483
CB900F
CB900F

Post by eclark5483 »

Reality check for owning a Honda Spree:

If you want to make it run any better, or look any better then it did the day it came off the factory floor, prepare to make a substantial investment.

The Honda Spree is a 30+ year old, vintage class, scooter.

In other words, it is now an antique.

Yes you can get some modern day performance parts to fit and make it run better, but to do an AF05 Spree engine correctly, requires more money then most people are willing to shell out. I only suggest beefing up these engines if your intention is to restore the Spree, not just try for 40+.

I have seriously spent over $3,000 worth of time, parts, effort and research to get what I have got. My best advice, is let a Spree be the Spree it was meant to be and focus your efforts on restoring these sweet little scooters. You want it to go faster, then either buy another scooter, or prepare to make a significant investment.
Meatball
CB900F
CB900F

Post by Meatball »

thxcuz wrote:Trouble is finding them around here. I never see any elites on cl except sometimes an 80 shows up and they want 900 for it. I'm not against swapping at all. I just haven't come across the parts yet
Have you seen THIS post?? viewtopic.php?f=2&t=34327&p=299581#p299581 Try to contact 1man8scoots to see if he will sell you a motor. Waiting for one to pop up for sale in your area (for a decent price) could be a long wait.
benji
CB900F
CB900F

Post by benji »

A spree is definitely gear-limited, but it can still be fun. 30-35 is a realistic speed for a tuned spree w/o going TOO expensive, but if you need or want more speed you should consider swapping to almost any other 2t 49cc motor with a variator. The variator basically gives you another gear, so you get a few more MPh and more acceleration/hill-climbing. The spree is also very light, so swapping in a variated motor with some tuning parts will get you a nice sporty scooter.

One of the long-time posters here sells parts for the spree. His handle is tazland001
1man8scoots
CB900F
CB900F

Post by 1man8scoots »

Eric Clark is spot on.
Thxcuz,
Check listings in poplar bluff also
thxcuz
BMX
BMX

Post by thxcuz »

I'll keep my eyes open for a better engine locally and otherwise. I've been also searching for the definitive post on mounting it. I'd prefer it to look stock. I don't care for the low pimped out look that some people go for. I'm not going to put any more money into this until I find the right engine.

In the meantime I'll practice with that harbor freight welder I got last year but haven't used yet.
Then take it to a welding shop when I either get frustrated or the welder stops working after a week or both
Big McLargehuge!
Meatball
CB900F
CB900F

Post by Meatball »

thxcuz wrote:In the meantime I'll practice with that harbor freight welder I got last year but haven't used yet.
My buddy bought a HF welder and its great for scoot work. The only flaw was that the rollers that feed the wire has weak spring tension causing it to slip and not consistantly feed the wire when the trigger is pulled. It would seem to feed fine when not welding but cause the wire to stop feeding in mid weld. Soultion: use a squeeze clamp on the rollers to get a tighter grip on the wire. Now it feeds non-stop without issue.
thxcuz
BMX
BMX

Post by thxcuz »

I just saw a guy riding a spree down Chippewa streets standing up. I couldn't tell but I guess it didn't have a seat.
Big McLargehuge!