New member here!

The place to discuss rides, accessories, or whatever is tangentially Spree/Elite-related

Moderator: Moderator

Jonadz
Spree
Spree

New member here!

Post by Jonadz »

Greetings all, my name is Jonas, and I have a problem!
I'm now addicted to the spree life.

Introduction aside, I've lurked the last 6 months as a visitor and have got a lot of great info to help me through the process so thanks for all the great write ups guys! I love being able to find the info I need without asking a million questions and bugging people.
I'm from the Pacific Northwest, middle aged and getting fatter by the day! Was given a spree by my wife's uncle as a gag gift because he thought id never get it going and I would have to be the one to pay to trash it not him.
Guess who's now riding the spree and who's jealous!
I've joined a few Facebook groups but always seem to find the info in looking for here so I figured I'd join finally!
I just typed a bunch more but got flagged for spam so I'll break this post up with a few more responses.
Jonadz
Spree
Spree

Re: New member here!

Post by Jonadz »

It's an 85 with over 14k miles on it and never had anything, other than a carb adjustment and injector oil top off, done to it. He put it in a shed in 94 and there it sat until 6 months ago when I pulled it out. I got it home and looked it up, which of course landed me here. I read everything I could on it and proceeded to tear it down. After a good cleaning, a tank wash, carb cleaning and a new battery it fired right up. To my and his amazement. Old original tube and tires even held air!
Jonadz
Spree
Spree

Post by Jonadz »

Unfortunately this forum isn't letting me post pics... File size to large.
Jonadz
Spree
Spree

Post by Jonadz »

What I've done so far. Tons of cleaning! Removed all the stickers for weight reduction purposes ;), re painted all the plastics, new carb, new cdi, new coil and plug, new tires(kenda 2.75 rear and 2.5 front) new exhaust gaskets, had clutch relined and reworked, new belt and currently breaking in a Taz 48mm with air box lid drilled. New fuel and oil lines, new petcock. Added glove box.
What I'm currently doing. Switching back to the original Cdi, coil and rebuilding my old carb with the parts off the new carb. All the new "upgraded parts" such as cdi, coil and carb have proven their worthlessness so far. Also converted to kickstart. Best choice I've made yet!
Last edited by Jonadz on Wed May 10, 2017 1:42 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Jonadz
Spree
Spree

Post by Jonadz »

With all that in order do you gurus have any suggestions for the future or concerns I may have upcoming?
Jonadz
Spree
Spree

Post by Jonadz »

Think I figured the file size out, here goes nothing!
Attachments
When it came home
When it came home
image.jpeg (128.96 KiB) Viewed 8119 times
Jonadz
Spree
Spree

Post by Jonadz »

Mileage
Attachments
image.jpeg
image.jpeg (87.98 KiB) Viewed 8119 times
Jonadz
Spree
Spree

Post by Jonadz »

Current state missing kickstart
Attachments
image.jpeg
image.jpeg (166.55 KiB) Viewed 8121 times
image.jpeg
image.jpeg (99.03 KiB) Viewed 8121 times
image.jpeg
image.jpeg (177.47 KiB) Viewed 8121 times
eclark5483
CB900F
CB900F

Post by eclark5483 »

That looks really nice.
Jonadz
Spree
Spree

Post by Jonadz »

Thanks boss, I'm spending a lot of time tinkering and doing what I can with a small to not allowed to spend money kind of budget. I'd like to do the MLM pipe but the wife cut me off from spending. Now I'm just focusing on getting it to run right and tuning it in.... A lot of trial and error!
Meatball
CB900F
CB900F

Post by Meatball »

You have obviously invested a couple hundred dollars in the engine so far. Too bad you didnt ask for advice HERE before you did. You wouldve been steered in a different direction (by me, anyways) to optimize your dollars spent. Good luck to you with that Spree BBK. eclark5483 knows more about that peticuler bore than anyone.

However, that Spree looks amazing. Nice job bringing it back from the dead and making it shine! What part of the "Pacific Northwest" are you in? Im about 30mi North of Seattle and theres a bunch of dudes on here more South like Renton, Olympia, etc...
I need to find some new haters...the ones I have are starting to like me.
Jonadz
Spree
Spree

Post by Jonadz »

Thanks meatball, I do have a couple hundred into it, but that was bbk, kickstart, carb, glove box, tires and tubes mixed with pointless junk. With everything I've bought I've spent $265 which still isn't bad for a free spree! I read about the bbk here quite extensively and read more good than bad so figured a $75 try wouldn't hurt to bad. Wasn't looking for a race bike, just something to keep up with my buddies new ruckus a little better. I'm in Federal Way. Still new to Washington so don't know much on the area as I'm an Oregon native.
Jonadz
Spree
Spree

Post by Jonadz »

I've never been a big question guy and being as this is my first rebuild I didn't want to get bombarded with tons of choices lol. One of those " well let's see how far you get yourself into it and if you can get out " kind of things. Next build though I will be consulting the gurus here left and right! I've been asking Taz a few questions here and there through eBay and already feel like a bother!
eclark5483
CB900F
CB900F

Post by eclark5483 »

Good luck making it be what you want it to be, but please try preserving parts on it that you don't use the best you can. These little scooters are collectable classic vintage antiques. Never treat it like a cheap Chinese scoot, but do make it awesome.
Meatball
CB900F
CB900F

Post by Meatball »

Jonadz wrote: I've been asking Taz a few questions here and there through eBay and already feel like a bother!
Ask away! Its the only way to get answers an nobody will be bothered by it. Take all the responses with a grain of salt and make your own decision once enough information has been collected. Making snap decisions in this game leads to buying parts you dont need or that dont perform. I learned this the hard way.

As far as your Spree motor goes, you could drop $1000 into it and still only "keep up" with your buddies Ruck. Or you could buy a motor to swap into your Spree for $300-ish and accomplish the same goal. Add another $400-$500 to THAT motor and your buddy will sell his Ruck because youre leaving him in the dust.
I need to find some new haters...the ones I have are starting to like me.