1985 AF05 What top speed should I expect?

The place to discuss rides, accessories, or whatever is tangentially Spree/Elite-related

Moderator: Moderator

cancunia
Spree
Spree

1985 AF05 What top speed should I expect?

Post by cancunia »

Just wondered what kind of top speed is normal? I have a 1985 Honda Vision (UK) and it seems to top out at 25-27mph according to the speedo. This is about what I'd expect from what's called a 'moped' in the UK and is restricted to 30mph. Thing is that I can't find any restrictions in the header and the engine seems to run ok. So I guess the question is what's a normal top speed for an un-restriced, un-modified 1985 Spree?
The weather where I live has been cold and / or rainy so far this year and I've not been out a lot on two wheels but am hoping to get a few more scoot miles from June onwards, when I'm out again I'll use the GPS speedo to get a more accurate idea. I need to keep the scoot looking as standard as possible so am not really wanting to put taller tyres on the back, or aftermarket exhausts etc.
I think that what I'll probably need is a different variator and a decoke, but how many mph can I reasonably expect?

Thanks
eclark5483
CB900F
CB900F

Re: 1985 AF05 What top speed should I expect?

Post by eclark5483 »

30mph is about the most you can expect. To run it best, make sure you use the airbox not a free air filter, use your oil injector, and optimize restrictions.

On an 85 Spree, the main restriction you have is your final drive 12T gear. You can increase speed by utilizing a 13T which is found in the 86-87' non-Iowa edition Spree. The carb should have it's main changed to a #68 as well as 84-85 Sprees are tuned a bit lower.

Other things you can do are take the muffler and put it on the bar-b-que and cook out all the oil that has pooled up in it.

If you want more out of the Spree then that...well... it'll cost ya.
cancunia
Spree
Spree

Post by cancunia »

Thanks for the info, I got the impression that 30 mph was about standard, so it's good to get confirmation that mine is in the right ballpark. The final drive ratio is interesting but not sure if I'll be able to source different gears in the UK, or what the existing ratio is. Same is maybe true of the main jet, but I can lift the needle and see what difference it makes.
I'm not really interested in major mph gains, just a few to be able to keep up with traffic. I guess the starting place will be a new drive belt as the existing one has Honda written on it so may even be the original, plus a decoke.
Meatball
CB900F
CB900F

Post by Meatball »

Read the "MOTOR" section on this page: http://www.motorscooterguide.net/Honda/Spree/Spree.html

The 84-85 used a dished piston and the 86-87 had a domed. Honda used different cylinder heads to accommodate the piston change. It has been reported that using a domed piston from an 86-87 while using the cylinder head from an 84-85 will increase performance.
I need to find some new haters...the ones I have are starting to like me.
cancunia
Spree
Spree

Post by cancunia »

I think that I must have the UK equivalent of an Elite, apologies for the earlier misdirection. Mine has a Variator as opposed to the direct drive of the Spree.
I have this one, but in blue:

http://www.motorscooterguide.net/Brochu ... sionNE.jpg
Meatball
CB900F
CB900F

Post by Meatball »

If yours has a variator, it should run in the 40-ish mph range. Take a good look at the ramp plate. See if its restricted in some way. Sometimes its as simple as an extra washer that can be removed (free), other times its the ramp plate itself that must be swapped out for a "non-restricted" version(around $20-$30 USD).

Take off the variator and post up some pics of it. Im curious to see it.
I need to find some new haters...the ones I have are starting to like me.