New Member with a 85 aero!

The place to discuss rides, accessories, or whatever is tangentially Spree/Elite-related

Moderator: Moderator

ihatebrenton
Noob
Noob

New Member with a 85 aero!

Post by ihatebrenton »

Hey all. New member here. So my buddy rob talked me into getting one of these bad boys. So i picked up a 1985 Honda Aero. Im new to the whole two stroke world even though this scooter is older than I am.

Anyway here is as it sits at the moment. Pretty much need all the rear bodywork to get it complete, but i might just skip all of that and go ratscooter.

And then i got bored yesterday and toook the rest of the remaining body panels off. Just gotta figure out how to get this front fender off now
Meatball
CB900F
CB900F

Re: New Member with a 85 aero!

Post by Meatball »

ihatebrenton wrote:Just gotta figure out how to get this front fender off now
Welcome to the Forum!

Disconnect front brake cable and speedo cable from front brake hub. Unscrew the Steering Stem Lock Nut. Pull the handlebars up and off the Steering Stem, leaving everything attached and let them hang. Remove the Bearing Race from top of stem. Be careful not to lose any loose ball bearings underneath. Remove Steering Stem. There is loose ball bearings on the lower race also so its best to do this on a clean garage floor rather than in the grass, bearings will most certainly drop out. With the Stem removed, the fender lifts up and off the top of it.

Re-install in reverse. One or two missing bearings balls is fine but not any more than that. Use bearing grease to make them stay in place while installing.

EDIT: looking closer, it seems your speedo cable is routed through the stem. You MAY be able to leave this attached to the brake hub during this process. Depends on if the handlebars will slide off with it there.
I need to find some new haters...the ones I have are starting to like me.
ihatebrenton
Noob
Noob

Post by ihatebrenton »

Meatball wrote:
ihatebrenton wrote:Just gotta figure out how to get this front fender off now
Disconnect front brake cable and speedo cable from front brake hub. Unscrew the Steering Stem Lock Nut. Pull the handlebars up and off the Steering Stem, leaving everything attached and let them hang. Remove the Bearing Race from top of stem. Be careful not to lose any loose ball bearings underneath. Remove Steering Stem. There is loose ball bearings on the lower race also so its best to do this on a clean garage floor rather than in the grass, bearings will most certainly drop out. With the Stem removed, the fender lifts up and off the top of it.

Re-install in reverse. One or two missing bearings balls is fine but not any more than that. Use bearing grease to make them stay in place while installing.

Well hot d*** that was a quick response. I'll have to get out in the garage now and give it a try! thanks man!
85Aero80Guy
BMX
BMX

Post by 85Aero80Guy »

Nice... I've got an 85 Aero 80.
ihatebrenton
Noob
Noob

Post by ihatebrenton »

Battery came today and exhaust should be here tomorrow! cant wait to get this bad boy up and running.
Ruckenstein
Board Supporter
Board Supporter

Post by Ruckenstein »

Pretty sure I got some parts to turn that into a kick starter.
ihatebrenton
Noob
Noob

Post by ihatebrenton »

i would love to do that. i'll shoot ya a pm Ruckenstein